Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Finally ropeless!

FarmerB

First of all, I am still a total newb and absolutely love this site. I have learned so much from so many people. Thank you all for the contributions you have made to my family's time on the water.

Today was a great one on the water. After watching my 16 and 13yo daughter and son go ropeless over the last week, I finally got it! Such a great feeling. This was with our '07 vRide running just stock ballast. Power wedge fully deployed and speed 10.4 with speed control. I'm 6'2 and 195lbs on a 5.4 Broadcast riding goofy. Can't wait to add more ballast and get the wake taller, but this was great.

Thanks again Crew for all the advice you have provided.

We tried all week with our new 24mxz but just could not get it without the rope. Can you give me some advise? We finally got the wake set with the surfgate and 10.2 and no ballast on the right side with full balast on the left and two crew on the left side also.

thanks

chris

We tried all week with our new 24mxz but just could not get it without the rope. Can you give me some advise? We finally got the wake set with the surfgate and 10.2 and no ballast on the right side with full balast on the left and two crew on the left side also.

thanks

chris

You are not likely to be able to surf ropeless with stock ballast on a 24. It's not impossible, it's just not a big wake because of the size of the boat. You really need a lot of weight to get a good surf wake on the bigger boats.

When I bought my first 23, for some reason I thought it would have a really good stock surf wake. We could barely ride ropeless and we had been surfing for 3 years. However, I invested in a surf sac and some solid ballast and life was good. I just ordered custom sacs for our MXZ which is going to put our total weight at about 4400. I may add a bit more solid ballast as well.

You are not likely to be able to surf ropeless with stock ballast on a 24. It's not impossible, it's just not a big wake because of the size of the boat. You really need a lot of weight to get a good surf wake on the bigger boats.

When I bought my first 23, for some reason I thought it would have a really good stock surf wake. We could barely ride ropeless and we had been surfing for 3 years. However, I invested in a surf sac and some solid ballast and life was good. I just ordered custom sacs for our MXZ which is going to put our total weight at about 4400. I may add a bit more solid ballast as well.

That's good to know for future boat upgrades. Would like to move into something a little larger in the next couple years. I would have thought the 24 w/stock ballast would give a larger wave than the 21 w/stock.

Thanks a lot can you give me the specs on what you ordered as I really want to be able to surf, part of the reason we bought this boat!

Thanks a lot

Chris

I just started going ropeless over vacation this last week. I can only do it for less than a minute then I lose it & can't get myself back into the pocket. I discovered putting my toes closer to the edge of the board, moving feet farther forward really help. Shifting weight front to speed up & back to slow down seems to be the secret to it, I am not quite sure how to pump back into the wave though when I start to fall back

I found the key to be subtle shifts in weight. When you lean forward you dart forward. be prepared to slowly lean back and get the brakes on. Most new surfers slow down too much and before they have a chance to react and get the wieght onto the front foot, they fall too far back and loose the wave. Once you start to slow down and fall back, be prepared to get back on the front foot before its too late. You have to find that sweet spot. Once you find it, you are golden. And put some edge into the wave, basically some toe pressure, especially on the front foot. Hope that helps.

Edited by isellacuras

Don't worry about pumping right now. Instead worry about being as stable as possible. If you feel you are dropping out of the pocket get low on the surfboard, stay steady (no shaky riding), and look that the rear corner of the boat on the side you are surfing. the board will build its own speed and push you back to the front. Be patient.

isellacuras is right. It is all subtle weight shifts. Big movements will get you in trouble. I like to think of it as if I was trying to balance on a board on a ball.