Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wiring schematics

Hi All.

I am a new member to this forum livng in England.

Our Water Ski Club are the owners of two 2004 Malibu Responses with Vortec 5.7L engines.

We have been trying to locate readable wiring diagrams for our boats for while. Our original supplier gave us drawings which were very low resolution scans and unreadable. Does any one know how we can obtain usable drawings.

Also we presently have a problem with one of our boats.

No spark at the output of the coil into the distributor.

12v + is present on the RED wire at coil. We exchanged the coils between the two boats but no change (i.e both coils are OK)

There is a grey wire which I would have thought would go directly to earth but disappears into the wiring loom and doesn't test zero ohms.

The other possibility which we have considered is the trigger from the distributor but we don't want to disturb these unless we really have to ( risk to altering timing)

All and any help will be very welcome.

Regards Bob27

The "gray" wire is the negative side of the coil. It gets switched on and off in order for the coil to develope its high voltage out to the distributor. You can check this with a 12 volt tsest light. It should flash.

The "gray" wire is the negative side of the coil. It gets switched on and off in order for the coil to develope its high voltage out to the distributor. You can check this with a 12 volt tsest light. It should flash.

Thanks for your quick reply.

There is a separate plug connection from the distributor into the coil pack which interrupts the circuit to do the triggering (probably the negative side of the coil as you state) rather than from the grey wire. In a car, this would indeed normally go back to the distributor "points" (to do the breaking) then from the "points" to ground. As the separate input from the distributor should be doing the breaking, I would have expected the grey wire to go direct to ground, which it doesn't appear to do.

I will be trying to trace the grey wire today so I will keep you posted.

Regards Bob27

since you are new to the site i'm not sure you saw my personal message.

take a look at the "personal messenger" item in the drop-down list under your "bob27" at the top right of the page

Hi All,

The problem turned out to be an open circuit pick up coil in the distributor.

All voltage and resistance tests were identical in both of our boats. It was not until we disconnected the pickup coil and tested it separately did we locate the problem.

The grey wire was a bit of a red herring. "We think" it probably goes to the tacho.

Thanks to all who responded.

Regards Bob27