Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

97'MALIBU ECHELON LX,backfires and misses at exceleration

Looking for advice on my problem.The boat ran fine up to about 35-40 mph,than when you advance throttle all the way it backfires and misses.After you get going again it does the same.Changed filters and added fuel system cleaner,with no change.tried it next day,got out it backfired and wouldn't start.Turned over a bit and thru the ignition breaker every time.The boat has 285 hours and is EFI model.320 Monsoon.

Any help would be great.

Grandude,I looked at the inside of the dist.cap,all corroded.Taking your advice.Going to change out cap roter and wires.Can I use auto store roter and cap?

Yes. The starter and Alternator are the marine specific parts that you can't substitute. Replace the plugs while your doin things. Only changing the cap and rotor is like changing your oil and not the filter. I know you said it's popping the ignition breaker. Where is this breaker located and is it popping when you engage the starter or after several rotations?? Does the starter continue to spin or is it shutting down??

The breaker is located right side under dash.It pops off after a few rotations.The starter shuts down after breaker pops.I plan to replace the plugs as well as wires,cap and roter.Thanks