Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 Response - Needs new stereo & speakers, which one?

elixxir

I'm new to the community, and would not be offended by a link, in case I missed it in my searches.

The stereo in it has the remote control up on the dash, which is ideal, since the stereo then remains covered. I'd like to be able to drop an iPhone in it for music and I don't want CD's to deal with. (No need for XM/Sirius either) I would want to add a sub up next to the batteries at some point (15"?) but that can come later. It also needs all 4 speakers replaced.

So, what head unit would you recommend I look for on eBay/CL and what is a decent price?

What speakers would you pick?

Which sub makes sense? How much power should the amp for the sub be?

I'd like to do the head unit & speakers for under $500, I'll install it myself. Then I'd add the 2nd battery with isolater switch (or do I need them in parallel?) And finally an amp/sub, maybe still this summer.

Appreciate you input. :-)

You want to avoid placing the subwoofer in the port observer's locker. You'll lose 5 to 6 dB of output meaning the sub and sub amplifier will have to work four times harder to create the same output. Plus, the bass tonal construction will never be good from a closed compartment. It will certainly be a boat shaker but not much of a musical bass maker. A smaller enclosure and smaller sub on the starboard side under the driver's helm console in a more direct-radiating scenario, will sound infinitely better.

David

The choices are virtually endless.

Here is my suggestion:

1. Decide what you want to do. Do you just want cabin speakers in the boat, do you want tower speakers? How loud do you want them...i.e. 75 ft back or loud enough to light up the cove, something just for surfing??

2. Decide on how much you want to spend.

3. Read up, read up, read up. There is literally hundreds of posts on this forum and others.

Your decision on how much $$$ you spend will ultimately govern your components. Can you throw together something for a few hundred bucks with used items off e-bay sure you can, but also you could spend a couple thousand pretty easy too.

Edited by Dave K

I just installed a Clarion M502 head unit a few weeks ago. Quite honestly, I would avoid that unit. The one toggling switch thing is a pain to use and the radio reception (I know I am probably the last to use the welfare broadcast system) is horrible, I can only get one station. I am going to try the ipod hookup this weekend, but trying to control anything using that one knob is an exercise in extreme patience.

• Like 1

Okay, how about some recommendations on a head unit that just plays good sounding music with a built in graphic EQ and it needs to have that remote feature -- what is a favored replacement for a broken stock unit?

Just something to consider.

Many folks have ROOM to place amps & subs & batteries in the ideal locations.

I recently sold an '04 Response Lxi..............very little interior space. I moved to an '07 Vlx...........tons of room. I would never put a sub in the port observer's locker in the Vlx, way better options in THAT BOAT.

I DID put an amplified Bazooka subwoofer in that location in the Response because of the limited space. (I think it was the 8" x 100 watt amplified tube?) While it would definitely never win any contests, I was happy with the compromise of much better sound without losing much needed space @ the driver's cockpit. I didn't have wakeboard quality audio, but very good sound for hanging out in the water around the boat. I would open the "hatch" for better sound while we were in the water behind the boat.

As Dave K. said............."the choices ARE virtually endless"

For the Response with its low seat, you can't sacrifice foot space with a big ported sub box. A Basslink should fit there pretty well though, especially if mounted upright on the kick plate. They're pretty powerful for a self-contained unit if you're just looking for a decent boost in low end performance.

- Sounds like you don't even need a head unit. Get a Clarion EQ for $60 shipped and that will fill your needs nicely. Then either a bluetooth dongle, headphone jack to RCA cable or (for the best sound), either a Lightining or Dock to RCA cable (depending on your iDevice):

http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-EQS746-Graphic-Equalizer-Crossover/dp/B000EZV3T8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1373658458&sr=1-1&keywords=clarion

- Speakers really need an amp behind them. Get one. PPI 900.4, $180 shipped:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_38338_Precision-Power-PPI-P900.4.html

- Need speakers. Many to choose from. I chose the Polk MM651's and have been very impressed with them. $125/pair shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-AA2651-A-6-5-Inch-Speaker/dp/B001C3P6FI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373658373&sr=8-1&keywords=polk+mm651

Lookie there, all the above also comes under budget. :)

• Like 2

I recently installed a new stereo in my 99 response on a budget as well and went with the pioneer deh-8500bs bluetooth receiver. It was about $140...got a waterproof case for my iphone and control music around the boat from there. Works really well and sound quality is great. Speakers i went with Infinity 612m's, a small amp to power them, and a powered 8" bazooka tube. Installed the bazooka under drivers area above kickplate with speaker facing out. Great setup for the money, very happy with it.

Like others have said though, depends on your needs and how much you wanna spend! I wasnt looking to party rock the whole cove and don't have a tower - but it definitely rocks inside telhe boat!!

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I am hoping to piggyback on this thread since I have been reading through several similar threads for guidance in replacing the original stereo in my '01 SLXi. ( ? tuner/CD player and 4 Infinity speakers). I know next to nothing about the subject but this thread, along with this one http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41726-ipod-head-units-and-general-stereo-information/?hl=%20budget%20%20stereo, have been extremely informative.

I want to update my head unit with a radio receiver w/ ipod/iphone capabilities, replace the 4 existing speakers and add a pair in the bow for a total of 6 speakers, and install an appropriate amp. That's it - no sub, no tower speakers. I would like to keep the equipment budget under $800 or so since I will need to spend some $$ on installation help.

Based on the recommendations I've read, I am leaning towards the PPI 900.4 amp and the Polk MM651 speakers. Am I on the right track so far? With a remaining budget of approx. $250 what head unit would you guys recommend?

Newbie question alert! : What is the reason for mounting the amp near the battery (behind the observer's seat) versus at the helm, closer to the head unit?

Thanks!

dump the headunit....

look at a equalizer.... wetsounds makes a good one... seperate volume for tower speakers and boat, also a pa mic.

has 2 inputs... use your phone for music...

money well spent...

I got rid of the head unit. I can't remember the last time I pulled a CD out. I put in the WS420 EQ and I'm very happy with it. The price is high but I really enjoy the features. You could get some less expensive good quality EQ too.

I also added a 12" sub under the helm. Sounds pretty good there.

Edited by FastFreddy

Why not skip the head unit, put in a ws420sq and the new Bluetooth adapter (WW BT VC) from wet sounds, plug the Bluetooth into the main input and that leaves the aux input for a direct wired connection to an older iPod without Bluetooth connectivity

you can then add speakers and an amp and build from there...

just my .02

i just updated my echelon with the above (Bluetooth adapter is on its way) and I also added 2 pairs of sw650's (you could save money and use sw65's) added a HT4 amp to power my speakers and also added a self contained powered 10" sub...the HT AS 10....is sounds crystal clear and it is loud and can be heard over my big block at WOT (52mph) ....

Since this is the current "budget audio" thread I'll throw this out there. MTX has changed the way they will be doing business. They will be focusing heavily on internet distribution in the future. This has alienated more than a few brick and mortar dealers including a few friends of mine but it's the direction they are going.

So what does it mean for the rest of us? Pretty good deals during the transition period. Here's a small footprint 75wX4 amp for $119.00 and there is a matching 1000w mono block for $199.00

http://www.mtx.com/_mtx+mobile+td+series+400w+rms+4+channel+amplifier_no-td75+4_223/b

Just an FYI. Nothing wrong with the PPI linked above either.

Newbie question alert! : What is the reason for mounting the amp near the battery (behind the observer's seat) versus at the helm, closer to the head unit?

Thanks!

Meant to reply to this as well but forgot. Biggest reason is air space under the helm. Working around heaters, wires, cables under that side and trying to get as much air space for the sub box as possible. Lots of guys using multiple amps too that won't fit in the driver's side with that big box.

If I ever get around to putting some gear into my boat the amp will go under the helm if possible just to save storage space and possible overheating issues if it were on the other side. May or may not work for you though.

Edited by jk13
You want to avoid placing the subwoofer in the port observer's locker. You'll lose 5 to 6 dB of output meaning the sub and sub amplifier will have to work four times harder to create the same output. Plus, the bass tonal construction will never be good from a closed compartment. It will certainly be a boat shaker but not much of a musical bass maker. A smaller enclosure and smaller sub on the starboard side under the driver's helm console in a more direct-radiating scenario, will sound infinitely better.

David

Where do you recommend putting the subwoofer if the observers locker isn't a good location? I have a 2007 Response LX and have a JL 12 W3 in the observers locker. I made a box to make it fit between the front seat and console. I've tried aiming it toward the battery, seat back, front and out by the drivers feet and can't seem to get much noise. The driver can hear it fine but others in the boat barely hear it. Any help would be much appreciated!

Meant to reply to this as well but forgot. Biggest reason is air space under the helm. Working around heaters, wires, cables under that side and trying to get as much air space for the sub box as possible. Lots of guys using multiple amps too that won't fit in the driver's side with that big box.

If I ever get around to putting some gear into my boat the amp will go under the helm if possible just to save storage space and possible overheating issues if it were on the other side. May or may not work for you though.

Thanks jk! I'm also leaning toward placing the amp at the helm.

I have an Echelon and have a Basslink sub under the helm, tucked behind the footwell. It fits well and sounds good. I also have 4 DB651's powered by a Boston Acoustics GT-40 amp, and they sound great. The amp is mounted in the storage area behind the observer's seat, against the far wall using the thru-bolts from the front seat backrests to mount to. Using an Alpine 9856 HU with the ipod connect and remote. Works and sounds really, really well. I have 1 battery, and have grounded everything directly to that battery, bypassing the other grounding area under the dash.

System designed by the guys here on the crew, and most components were purchased from them too!