Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drysuits

skicrazy

I'm looking for a drysuit that will last a while. Any recommendations on good ones and especially brands that should be avoided?

I'm not into barefooting (yet), so it doesn't have to be of "barefooting" caliber.

Thanks!

Joe & I recently picked up suits by OS-Systems. They seem to be of good quality & what I like about it is that the company is right up the road in Scapoose. It looks like they will do repairs & maintenance at their facility which is a bonus. Here's the link to their website - they've got an entire section devoted to maintenance.

http://www.ossystems.com/

Maybe the drysuit gurus can answer this question - which is better, a nylon zipper or metal?

Joe & I recently picked up suits by OS-Systems. They seem to be of good quality & what I like about it is that the company is right up the road in Scapoose. It looks like they will do repairs & maintenance at their facility which is a bonus. Here's the link to their website - they've got an entire section devoted to maintenance.

http://www.ossystems.com/

Maybe the drysuit gurus can answer this question - which is better, a nylon zipper or metal?

Had a buddy with an OS and he loved it. I bought an Oneill baggy top and bottom last year and have only used it once, but like it so far.

Personally I prefer the durability of a metal zipper, I just can't see nylon lasting.

you just cannot beat a personal recommendation. OS appears to be a good choice, that said,

would the OS Splash with the diagonal front zipper be easier to get into?

These suits can be ordered online but should they be tried on before buying?

Do any models have an air release valve like actual scuba suits?

The O'Neill Boost is about the same price but is the OS the better choice?

thanks

you just cannot beat a personal recommendation. OS appears to be a good choice, that said,

would the OS Splash with the diagonal front zipper be easier to get into?

These suits can be ordered online but should they be tried on before buying?

Do any models have an air release valve like actual scuba suits?

The O'Neill Boost is about the same price but is the OS the better choice?

thanks

I have the BI suit and it works great. This is my 2nd one, first lasted about 18 years, with a couple of seal replacements. That suit was actually made by OS Systems. Not sure if the new one is or not.

Definitely O.S.Systems. I have a Breeze-Bare (DWB-B) that needs the seals replaced if you are on a budget depending on your size. It is a little small for me, mostly because of my height 6'4". If you are around 6 foot and around 180, it should fit awesome. I'm planning on getting another Breeze-Bare (DWB-B), I love them. PM me if you want pics or more info.

Cheers.gif

My favorite is the BARE Tech-dry. This has a tight fitting bottom and loose top, 'TIZIP' in the back. This is a plastic zipper which is much easier to use than the brass zippers that I have seen. Literally it can be opened or closed with one finger when properly lubricated. If you run into a TIZIP that isn't EASY to use then find the little bottle that came with the suit. The suit is for mild water temps, IMO 50 degrees or warmer unless you're a polar bear. Bought mine 4 years ago, have used it for slalom, wakeboarding, surfing and hydro-foiling. Also used it for doing work on my boat hoist. It gotten good use and still wearing well. Can't wait to start using it again. Biggrin.gif

Dave

Here's a link, ( Mad.gif the price has gone up in the past 4 years, bought mine for $230)

http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/wate...420&pf_id=61139

Edited by SURFRAY
i just ordered an adrenaline pro suit, tell me its good. Shocking.gif

Had them put new seals on my suit this winter and it looks like they did an excellent job. Suits should be good quality also.

I like my USIA that came from Peter at Smooth Water Sports...been used quite a bit, no issues so far.

2Thumbs has an Adrenaline suit, seems like a nice one as well. I got some kind of a mailer last week from Adrenaline. Believe they're offering a discount on their drysuits, worth a call.

We have 2 OS Systems suits and they have been great. My wife gave me an O'Neill Boost suit for Christmas, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. We're still snow skiing for goodness sakes. We need some sun around these parts.

The OSS suits are not as much money as the O'Neill and we have been very happy with them. I love being able to wear some sweats under the suit and stay nice and dry and toasty. They will last a long time with just a little bit of maintenance - silicone spray on the latex, and wax on the zipper.

I've got the O'Neill Boost. I bought it used, after on season. It's been good for 1 1/2 seasons. My friend has the same one, and he likes it.

The CFO has a USIA from Peter at Smoothwatersports.com It's been good as well.

i just ordered an adrenaline pro suit, tell me its good. Shocking.gif

That's what I have. Works great, kinda tight in the neck.

Santa dropped an Adrenaline prosuit down my chimney this past Christmas. Great fit and workmanship....fits nice on my skinny 17.25" neck.

Got a suit from Scarpa which is made from OS systems I believe. Great suit. No experience with other suits but I am very happy with the one that I have. 2 friends have one also and they have had great luck also.

In our ski-club just about every brand is represented and the only suit that isn't liked by it's owner is the Overton's Gladiator Neoprene Drysuit. Neck seal is too small, wrist seals are little too big and don't seal real well, leg seals are stoopid oversized and require the use of velcro cinches. The owner of that suit is always soaked after skiing...I can't believe he didn't return the suit. Dontknow.gif Just a cheapskate, I guess...well, you get what you pay for. I have an O'Neill neo drysuit that I like a lot and my best friend has an O'Neill hybrid (wasn't available when I bought mine or I probably would have bought the hybrid as well).

I've used a couple different Neo style suits and always had problems getting water up the legs and arms. They were also very difficult to get on and off. I have owned 2 OS systems baggies, 1 regular, 1 barefoot with arm and leg cinches. I love the baggy suits and I just wear however many clothes I need underneath.

I wear a 17" collar, and I just cut the neck seal down a couple rings to get it to fit better.

Someone mentioned a "burb valve", you dont need one, just burp through the neck.

Oh, one more thing: before you "burp" the suit, you float just fine without a vest on, when you let the air out, you sink like a rock - or at least that's what I've heard. Whistling.gif

Overton's Gladiator Neoprene Drysuit. Neck seal is too small, wrist seals are little too big and don't seal real well, leg seals are stoopid oversized and require the use of velcro cinches.

My experience with that suit EXACTLY. Though, I must say, it has served me well for many years. Neoprene neck seal finally gave. . .

. . .so I had to order a USIA from Peter. Now I'll have a baggy suitable for 'footin. :)