Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'Bu Crew - Need advise on tower '89 malibu euro F3

maroon88iroc

Morning Crew, I need some advise on what I can do with the tower on my '89 malibu

This tower was on the boat when I bought it and while it is very strong and looks pleasing It is just too tall. The tower doesnt fold like some of the newer towers and I cannot get under almost any of the bridges at our lake.

Is there anyway I could make this tower hinge and keep its strength, or should I have it cut down a foot or so, or should I just ditch it all together and get a newer style rack?

the pictures do not show the speakers I have installed. With those installed I have about 1 ft between the bottom of the speakers and the bimini.

2012-08-24_15-26-58-1_zpse3196a2a.jpg

2012-08-24_15-26-46-1_zpsb9aff223.jpg

2012-08-24_15-04-59-1_zps2dce6cd6.jpg

2012-08-24_15-04-03-1_zpscee320ef.jpg

Edited by WakeGirl
Fixed photo linking code

I can't get ur pics to come up on my phone, but I've had an 89 & 90 Sunsetter Euro F3's and have put towers on both. The 89 was a "waketech" made by a local kid, sturdy enough and was nice. On my 90 I have a Star One and it is awesome! Incredibly sturdy, easy eniugh to fold down although I don't think any of them are all that easy with speakers/bimini etc... check out Star One, they are reasonably price and easy to install yourself!

What's it made of?

Im sure you could cut it down or make it hinge, you may lose some structural integrity though... If budget isn't an issue I'd donate it to a local school playground and call up Star One Wake.

Thanks wakegirl!

Levi - It is made of steel pipe like a rollbar in a race car. Budget isnt an issue but I am cheap and have looked at some new towers.. the only ones I like are over a grand, tough for me to spend that when I have one that functions properly right now. I think my best option would be to modify this tower. I do like how sturdy it is now (I can pull tubers or anything off the tower) but I just have to do something about the height.

I may take the boat by my welding guy and see what he thinkgs about shortening it. If I do that I may have to do something different with my bimini.

It looks like you've got room to work with it and shorten it. It's hard to tell exactly how close to the windshield that rear leg is. I would think about cutting a section out just above windshield height. That will shift the whole upper section forward as you drop it down, so you will need to put extensions on the rear, or just re-design the rear legs.

Another thing to consider is, if it's really solid steel, it's probably very very heavy. You could loose some serious weight off of the boat if you went to a lighter tower.