Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Bu' threw a code and local dealer says 4-6 wks out?

team530

Hey Guys

I'm new to the crew. I just got a '12 Malibu VLX and it's throwin a "service engine" code. SPN:65567 & SPN:65568 FM1:8.

The local dealer only had 13's in stock so I got this '12 5 hours away. I called local dealer and they said they are 4-6 weeks out cause I didn't buy from them. Is this normal?

Are you sure that they aren't 4-6 weeks out because it is the start of summer? And the reason they can't get you in sooner is because they won't make an exception since you didn't buy from them? If they are just punishing you ,well that is not cool . Did they tell you what the error codes mean?

Are you sure that they aren't 4-6 weeks out because it is the start of summer? And the reason they can't get you in sooner is because they won't make an exception since you didn't buy from them? If they are just punishing you ,well that is not cool . Did they tell you what the error codes mean?

Did you read the orig. post - they are 4 to 6 weeks out b/c he did not buy from the dealer - this is what the dealer told him

Call the dealer you purchased from and ask him what the codes mean. Could be something as simple as a shorted sensor or one reading out of range. Simple do it yourself fix.

• Like 1

Hey Guys

I'm new to the crew. I just got a '12 Malibu VLX and it's throwin a "service engine" code. SPN:65567 & SPN:65568 FM1:8.

The local dealer only had 13's in stock so I got this '12 5 hours away. I called local dealer and they said they are 4-6 weeks out cause I didn't buy from them. Is this normal?

I bought my boat from a US dealer as I could not pass up the price difference over the canadian.....so i have learnt first hand re this. The dealer needs to support the customers that bought from him, so if they are booked up u get no real priority. However they always took me in as soon as they could. I ended up spending alot of money on upgrades and things I wanted for the boat and spent 90% of that $$ with the local dealer. I think now with all the service, closing the cooling system, warrantee, etc etc etc he has made more off of me in 3 years than if I would have bought the boat from him and I get fantastic service now. at the end of the day they are a business and need to make $$......

Just my $.02 I am sure that you got a deal that you could not pass up. I would think that any business would want to earn your service business. There is much more profit in service and acc. than the profit in a new boat purchase. Sorry that you are having a bad experience.

CB

It is possible that their service shop is fully booked and they are processing boats on a first-come-first-serve basis. Dealers will bump the service order only for newly purchased boats that they sold, otherwise everyone else has to wait their turn. This is reasonable and fair. The late spring/early summer rush is why you should always dewinterize your boat in April so you have time to address any issues well before the prime summer months. It is also why you should order or purchase your new boats so that you take possession in April (or earlier). After taking possession of my new boat in April, I pre-scheduled my breakin service for early June, which I'm glad I did, cause as many of you know I ended up needing a new transmission. My boat was out of commission for 3 weeks and two weekends in June, which sucked, but not nearly as much if it had been July!!!

Too many people don't plan buffer (time or money) into their lives. The pastor at our church had some wise words that I've tried to take to heart... At the momment you book your life full of activities or max out your finances, you are making the conscious decision at that moment to not be available to help others. Time & money buffer should be consciously scheduled. I've expended his advice to apply to my boat. :)

I do have sympathy though. Even the best planning can't account for all curveballs.

Edited by Cory

No doubt all dealers are busy. It's July 3rd.

I'm not in boats or boat sales but another industry.

I have an out-of-town competitor that I see at dealer meetings and he actually charges the customer for warranty work--parts and labor--and then refunds them once he gets paid from the manufacturer if they did not buy from him. I can't bring myself to be that way but definitely take care of my own customers first. In our industry there really isn't such a thing as wrong colors or wrong options like there is for Malibu dealers, so price or personality is usually the reason buyers would go elsewhere and I guess he takes it personally. We get phone shopped for prices daily from people all over the state, which I find ridiculous. If were a boat dealer and I didn't have the right color or options on a boat I would understand if someone drove to get the right one. I would like it if the customer gave me the opportunity for a dealer trade or wholesale purchase to get them through my doors, even at a reduced profit though.

I won't leave open (unbooked) time to push someone off, but they are not cutting in front of my repeat business for sure.

I agree, if you can get the code info and it's something you can fix or replace yourself that's where I'd look first.

Ya he flat out told me if I would have bought it there they could get me in way sooner. I wasn't expecting them to drop everything and have them fix it today.... A week or two might have been reasonable. I talked to my dealer and he said it's either the 02 sensor or a fuel pump issue. I found a local indmar dealer that can get me in Monday or Tuesday.... I talked to two other dealers and they all said that they are not even close to 4-6 weeks out.

I had the same thing happen. I had a code come up and dealer told me It would be weeks to get it in. I told them I just bought it, they asked if I bought it from them, I said yes. Boat fixed the next day. I was warned of this before I bought. I didnt think it would be true being that I am in the auto industry and theres no way we would be able to do anything like that. It is true though. I have seen it first hand.

Be aware that any Indmar certified shop can handle your Indmar warranty repairs. Any fiberglass shop can handle glass and gel repairs. As much as I love Malibu, I have to throw this out there too. When I noticed a screw had split the wood on my new teak platform, Malibu told me it was a "vendor issue" and I had to take it up with Teak World, the platform vendor. Really? The Teak World guy was quite nasty but finally agreed to send me a new board so I could fix it myself......which I did. . When I say "nasty" I mean he cross examined me and asked if the split board in any way affected my ability to use my boat. Know where this is going? This was a little hard to take after Malibu hung me out to dry. Moral of the story......Malibu and their dealers are not the last link in the chain. End of story.

Hey Guys

This is a bad scenario, your local dealer is not going to give you good service seeing as you did not purchase the boat from him. This happens a lot, its not like a car, his customers who purchased a boat from him go straight to the front, that is just the way it is unfortunately. I dont necessarily agree with this behavoir but in the marine world it is how the game is played.

This is very common for Canadians buying their toys in the US. Many car manufacturers won't even warranty a US bought car in Canada. I called the guys at PWS in Lanley the other day when my wedge wouldn't raise and they were very helpful, saved the day. Talk to Kevin @ TNA Marine, also in Langley, good guy, owns a Axis and seems to know his stuff. That dealer is not happy you bought in the states, move on.

• 1 month later...

Did you ever find out what the error code meant?

SPN:65568 FM1:8

My BU has the same error and the service manager is already gone for the evening.

My salesman will ask him in the morning but we have a 7am Wakeboarding lesson and I really want to use my boat.

Thanks,

Malc

Did you read the orig. post - they are 4 to 6 weeks out b/c he did not buy from the dealer - this is what the dealer told him

Well since some one else resurrected this. Yes, I read the OP, did you read mine? Obviously you didn't comprend what I said and decided to diss me instead.

Did you ever find out what the error code meant?

SPN:65568 FM1:8

My BU has the same error and the service manager is already gone for the evening.

My salesman will ask him in the morning but we have a 7am Wakeboarding lesson and I really want to use my boat.

Thanks,

Malc

If i'm reading the Indmar Service Manual correctly (page 41), that SPN & FMI corresponds to:

Oxygen Sensor Bank B Sensor 1 Abnormal Frequency or Pulse Width

What that means, I have no clue (I'm a computer dork, not a mechanic).

Source:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0106/9702/files/Indmar_Engine_Service_Manual.pdf

If you have an iOS device, it's a good PDF to have handy in iBooks...never know when you'll need to look something up.

I would just replace the sensor. You can pick up one up at most auto parts stores for around 50 bucks. Well worth the time lost to just replace it . Only buy a Denso replacement.

If you wanna give a crack at diagnosing it, swap sensor 1 bank 1 to the bank 2 sensor 1 location. See if the dtc resets to bank 1. If so , you will know its the sensor. Bank 2 is the port side. Sensor 1 is the first sensor in the manifold, not after the cat.

Most likely you will see the sensor is "coked' and sooty. Indmar rarely warranties "coked " sensors as they say it is the owner's responsibility to run the engine at high RPM's to keep this from occurring.

I talked to my dealer yesterday morning and he agreed with both of you about the coked sensor. Thanks for the great comments... Malibu Crew saves the morning! Well knowing this really saved the morning and we took the boat for a great wake boarding lesson with Adam Fields at LKG. Probably the best lesson we ever had with him and I would highly recommend him for any level boarder.

Also, the dealer told us to drive the boat hard at high RPMs and it may correct the problem. He said if you go "low and slow" which is typical on my BU it creates conditions for coked sensors. Well I rode it hard for about 30 minutes yesterday after the lesson and warning has gone away. The warning used to pop up every 15mins and so maybe that did the trick. And if it comes back... the replacement sensor does not sound like a big deal. Thanks and Cheers!

Word. Glad we can help. I know what its like to have the boat down in the middle of prime season. Suuuucks!

Even though my boat is under warranty , I typically do all my own repairs, maintenance ect. . It's just not worth the down time to have the dealer handle it unless its really a major repair.