Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help identify red stuff on v-drive transmission

I was looking at the v-drive transmission and noticed some red stuff all over and I have no idea what it is. Pictures below. Anybody have any idea what that is? I'm not sure if I should clean it all off or just let it be. I like to keep things very clean, but I'm not sure if this red junk is there for a reason.

IMG_20130702_202800_528.jpg

IMG_20130702_202816_832.jpg

IMG_20130702_202808_913.jpg

Is the stuff isolated to just that area. Its kind of hard to tell, but it looks like powdered fiberglass strands. VD oil would be about that color but it isn't coating anything like an oil slick would and it is sitting on top of things that would have to have been submerged in water for the pink stuff to get on. Is it on the air cleaner? If it is I would guess that ants/insects have gotten into some fiberglass or like pink material and powdered the material/glass, then the air in the bilge area has circulated the residue on everything.

It is hard to tell what you've got there from the pictures. I once used some red shop towels to wipe down my boat motor and transmission. The towels were cheap and left red lint all over the place. Whatever it is, it does not belong there. I suggest cleaning the area and monitoring it closely to see if the red stuff re-appears.

I'd think that is a v-drive/transmisison fluid leak. The fluid in your v-drive tranny is red.

1. Check fluid level, if it's low then you have a leak.

2. Clean the area thoroughly then drive around a few hours and try to pinpoint the leak.

3. Get it fixed.

Edited by FastFreddy

did you check the fluid in the tranny? IT looks like that area flooded at some point and some paper or paper towel disintegrated and got all over the place.

It does look like it got flooded in the bilge and this stuff was left behind. The texture looks like algae slime, but its red and ive never seen red algae. Definitely not supposed to be in there.

Would it be ok to use a hose and sprayer in this area at a light pressure? I was going to open all the plugs and spray it down and then do an engine degreaser and clean it all up. Just wanted to start with a sprayer first to get the majority of it out.

did you check the fluid in the tranny? IT looks like that area flooded at some point and some paper or paper towel disintegrated and got all over the place.

I did check the fluid level, it looks good. If this is trans fluid, it isn't new as it is dried and stuck on. I had the boat on the water last night and it is running great.

This is not transmission fluid. The splatter pattern looks nothing like what would come from a leaking transmission. And transmission fluid does not dry. How long have you owned this boat and did you just notice this recently but know for sure it was not there since you've owned this craft?

Another thought, do you have kids? I know Cheetos in a boat will turn into a science project in a heart beat. If it isn't ATF then it is most likely something biological and not mechanical. I would try dish soap before degreaser but I don't think it would hurt anything if the degreaser is biodegradable. Keep us posted.

Edited by wdr
  • Like 1

Could be some kind of fungus, algae, growth. Either way it needs to be cleaned. You have the right idea for cleaning, pull the drain plugs and hose everything off. If it is biological then I would use a 5% bleach mix and a spray bottle, then rinse it off with fresh water.

Another thought, do you have kids? I know Cheetos in a boat will turn into a science project in a heart beat. If it isn't ATF then it is most likely something biological and not mechanical. I would try dish soap before degreaser but I don't think it would hurt anything if the degreaser is biodegradable. Keep us posted.

Could this possibly be Silly String? Do you have kids or friends who like to play pranks? Also....in the next to last pic.....what is that near the bottom viewed in between the v-drive unit and the tranny cooler hose? Looks to be the same color.

This is not transmission fluid. The splatter pattern looks nothing like what would come from a leaking transmission. And transmission fluid does not dry. How long have you owned this boat and did you just notice this recently but know for sure it was not there since you've owned this craft?

I have only owned the boat for two weeks and I did notice it when buying from the dealer, but the gunk seemed old and I was overly excited about buying the boat that I forgot to ask. The boat was on a private lake and was owned by a good friend of the dealer. I may just call and see if I can get the previous owners contact info to ask him.

I do have kids, but it isn't food. After this weekend of being on the water, I'll try the dish soap, bleach, and water to clean it all out.

Tranny fluid mixed with water turns that color (strawberry milkshake), but i don't know if it would dry/cake on like that if it splattered all over for some reason. Actually, I woud do what Pete said and smell it (not so much taste, heh).

It looks like a red shop rag got wrapped around the drive shaft and the reminents are left....

I did find a toothbrush and red cloth shop rag in there, but it doesn't seem like a rag would leave a dried liquid residue. Going to clean it on Sunday and see how it goes. It has been performing great so far, just trying to keep it pristine.

Tranny fluid mixed with water turns that color (strawberry milkshake), but i don't know if it would dry/cake on like that if it splattered all over for some reason. Actually, I woud do what Pete said and smell it (not so much taste, heh).

I'll make my wife smell it!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies and help. I finally dug into it and discovered that a heavy duty red paper towel got in there. Once it got wet and water splashed around, it coated everything is a dried red crust. I'm going to take the garden hose to it and wash it all out. It should all drain out through the drain plug in the back. I spent a few hours trying to do it with a spray bottle and water, but it is in the grooves of everything. Time to just rinse it out with light pressure. Do any of you see a problem with doing this?

If you found a tooth brush and a red rag, then it's obvious.....

Your boat has gingivitis!

1. Clean your boats bilge

2. Make sure it flosses daily

3. leave tooth brush

4. remove rag

5. add mouth wash

:)

Just be happy it doesn't have tooth decay like mine did.

post-2645-0-91311700-1374833586_thumb.jp

Edited by Rmack

glad you figured it out.

On a similar note, if you see tranny fluid spitted around, it could be from an overheated transmission, a relief valve will release the fluid. Happened to someone here, turns out the line to the transmission cooler was plugged with a weeds.