Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Routine Maintenance?

I know that there are probably threads on this already, but I am new to the boat owning club and would like some advice on routine maintenance. I'll give boat info and let you all run wild with suggestions. I am trying to determine if this is something that I want to tackle (for personal satisfaction) or take to the dealer.

2007 Malibu LSV

340 Monsoon

320 hrs

Thanks in advance!

If you have ever changed the oil in your car/truck, IMO you have the skills to do all of the yearly maintenance on your boat, including winterizing. No special tools or electronics and if you have any questions someone on here has been there and done it to set you straight if you have any questions.

I have changed my oil before and am mechanically inclined, but wasn't sure if there are grease points that need inspection and things of that nature.

Edited by 121

As others have said, yearly maintainence for your boat is pretty easy with the support of the crew here. It is also very economical, as most dealerships charge $100 per hour for labor and mark up parts quite a bit. Get your parts from SkiDIM or Bakes or NAPA and do the labor yourself, and you will save a ton, learn a ton about your Bu, and have great personal satisfaction.

I don't have a V drive, but here is the list of tasks that I do to the Bu every year. Details on how to do these things can be searched on this forum. I am sure that I am missing something ...

- change the oil and oil filter

- change the transmission fluid

- grease the rudder

- grease the rudder linkage slide rod

- grease the transmission linkage slide rod

- grease the throttle linkage slide rod

- clean the flame arrestor

- clean the PCV valve

- check the engine belt for tightness

- replace the fuel filter(s)

- replace impeller

- check transmission cooler for debris

- check all water hoses for tightness

- check water level in battery

- charge battery

- check shaft seal drip rate

- check the operation of all boat lighting

- check the operation of the bildge and blower

- check trailer tire inflation

- chech trailer wheel lugs torque

- grease trailer bearings

- check the operation of all trailer lighting

- check trailer brake fluid level

- adjust trailer brakes

- vacuum, clean, wax, 303 protect boat

- clean and oil teak

- install drain plugs

• Like 2

Where do I find the how to instructions for your list?

Unfortunetly, there is no one stop shop for instructions for everything on the list. In fact, I would just use this list as a starting point and develop your own routine. Use the search function on this website to search individual items (like how to change an impeller for instance), and you will get lots of threads with great info. If and when you get stuck or don't understand a certain step, just start a new thread asking your questions, and you will have an overwhelming amount of help from the crew here. We all had to learn at some point, so we are more than happy to help others learn too! The first year that you work through things, it will take you a bit of extra time and research, but you will become very proficient quickly.

There is also a great book that can be very helpful. http://www.amazon.com/Clymer-Indmar-Inboard-Gm-Manual/dp/B000ENB3UO