Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Don't give up on your power wedge.

First use of the season after a 9 month layup, and the fuse goes. Tried another and same result. A little time with the search tool here on TMC and on to the trailer she goes. Unpinned and unbolted both actuators, put in another fuse and had the Mrs wedge down while I held the rams. Port side stuck and the other operated the full range. Took the port side ram and manually twisted the ram in and back out, tapped the housing all the way around, and gave it another go. Both worked together like a charm! Put everything back to normal and test run the wedge a few times to see if the rams were extending evenly. Into the water it went all is good.

I am not saying this is how it would go all of the time, but worth a shot to save a holiday. Very simple tools and very straight forward. Hope it might help someone out there...I know I am allergic to giving the dealer my money and I hate down time on the water. Cheers.

Dave

I dissected a couple actuators a while and found them full of water. Actually drained all the water out and cleaned up a lot of the rust and got the motors running again. I assume you broke some rust free to get them working again but there's a reason they failed and probably will again soon.

• Like 1

I dissected a couple actuators a while and found them full of water. Actually drained all the water out and cleaned up a lot of the rust and got the motors running again. I assume you broke some rust free to get them working again but there's a reason they failed and probably will again soon.

That is what I figure as well, but I will gamble as it is not a make or break item for our needs. Not to mention, they are 300 a piece here and I can' t get too excited about having one as back up.

Luv2ski...I did have to lay underneath and spin the speedo wheel to operate the actuators to the up position.

Dave

I did the same thing, both actuators were full of water causing the fuse to continually blow. I took both them off and opened them up and dumped the water out. The motors had a fair amount of water and rust on them so i just let them hang for a few hours behind the boat and both worked great after air drying. I put them back together and put silicon everywhere possible to keep the water out and so far haven't had any issues with them after around 10 hours. It was pretty simple to do, you don't have to be a master mechanic. Its just screws and a little twisting and pulling to get them apart. If you do take them apart remember its always best to do one at a time just in case you forget how to put it back together. Don't forget to put a little grease on the gears before closing everything back up.