Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Tow Truck

EchelonMike

Hey all,

Lots of discussions about tow vehicles on here so I thought I would share. I sold my 2007 Suburban today and pick up my new truck tomorrow - went with a Ford Explorer Sport with the Ecoboost twin turbo V6. We wanted something a bit smaller - will miss that Suburban space from time to time I am sure. Can't wait to tug the Bu to the lake next week with it. The torque this motor makes is crazy! Should be fun!

-- Mike

really curious as to whether it lives up to your expectations. thinking of trading out of my 2008 tahoe and looking at options.

thanks

Shawn

really curious as to whether it lives up to your expectations. thinking of trading out of my 2008 tahoe and looking at options.

thanks

Shawn

Shawn, will posts an update after the 4th - will put 500 miles of towing on it then!

• Like 1

We just got an Explorer with out the ecoboost. I was very happy with the way it towed our boat! It had plent of power. It did not feel as the boat was pushing the vehicle either. We had a realivily flat road. I was very surprised when it was time to pull it out of the water. It pulled it out with ease. Didn't even need to put it in four wheel drive.

My wife is loving it. We also sold our Yukon XL.

We are in the same vote, wife has an Acadia which I added tranny cooler , added the tow button and installed Air Lift suspension bags. We will see how it does after this weekend. I tow the a travel trailer with the my duramax at the same time. The issue is the GMC Acadia over a long distance, maybe a 1/2 ton truck or a Tahoe (but why are you guys selling your Tahoes) which I thought would be better suited than the GMC Acadia? I don't need to launch, or load the boat off ramp with the Acadia... I just need to get it to the lake till my 3/4 ton can take over. What do you think? 1/2 ton still the better way to go?

When you guys are towing with your explorers, how much weight are you putting in the truck? We looked at several mid size options and were worried about overall GVWR once you start adding gear and towing.

We are in the same vote, wife has an Acadia which I added tranny cooler , added the tow button and installed Air Lift suspension bags. We will see how it does after this weekend. I tow the a travel trailer with the my duramax at the same time. The issue is the GMC Acadia over a long distance, maybe a 1/2 ton truck or a Tahoe (but why are you guys selling your Tahoes) which I thought would be better suited than the GMC Acadia? I don't need to launch, or load the boat off ramp with the Acadia... I just need to get it to the lake till my 3/4 ton can take over. What do you think? 1/2 ton still the better way to go?

Half ton will be better for sure. The Acadia is pretty gutless without any weight behind IMO because its such a heavy vehicle. It wasn't made to tow.

I would have never thought an Explorer would be ideal tow vehicle. Interested in your report on how the Ecoboost does!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isnt the Acadia and Explorer front wheel drive now? I dont know that I would tow with a front wheel drive vehicle, just me being old fashion I guess.

Edited by bamabonners
  • Like 1

We towed last year with an Acadia. The boat on trailer weighed about 5200. That's the max tow for the Acadia. She would run hot in hills. Flat ground was fine. I threw up my hands and got a new tow rig.

Edited by teamerickson

mine is a 2008, been a good truck, I pull several times a year up over the mountains and the power is ok, 4 speed tranny is not the best......I would buy a new one as they have improved tranny with more gears now but am going to look at other options as well. I keep the boat in my garage, boat launch is two blocks away so outside of the 3 times a year i take it over the mountains i would also like to get something with better gas milage....Tahoe is one of the worst in this category.

All I know is an Explorer with that Twin Turbo 3.5L V6 would be a FUN ride. :ford:

I just got home with it...dealer was about 150 miles away. Cruised at 72 MPH all the way home and it got 23 and change in mpg...not too shabby. Then I ripped off a couple of 5 second 0-60 runs to suppress the tree hugger side of my personality. :-)

• Like 2

Correct it is the Sport edition because I wanted the select shift 6 SPD auto and the turbo 6. Had to go to Columbus to find one that was easy on the options and had the tow package. Should tow the boat later today!

I'm interested to see how it tows your boat. Having one similar, I just went to a full size recently, mainly out of fear. I didn't know they offered that engine in the Explorer, might have looked there.

Leather std, did not get navi. The sport has a $4k option pack with a bunch of hoo-haa I didn't want. I have the base sport, which is heavily loaded anyway. I got the dual panel sunroof (sweet) and tow pack. This one also has sync and 12 speaker sony sound with two subs.

Edited by EchelonMike

I'm interested to see how it tows your boat. Having one similar, I just went to a full size recently, mainly out of fear. I didn't know they offered that engine in the Explorer, might have looked there.

This. I liked the idea of the Eco, but hated the looks of the flex and the edge couldn't handle the weight. Subscribed for the post trip tow report!

isnt the Acadia and Explorer front wheel drive now? I dont know that I would tow with a front wheel drive vehicle, just me being old fashion I guess.

Explorer comes in FWD or AWD.

This. I liked the idea of the Eco, but hated the looks of the flex and the edge couldn't handle the weight. Subscribed for the post trip tow report!

You can get the 3.5 ecoboost in a Taurus, but....