Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

AO and Polar Bear Coolers

TrickyNicky

So some of you may have seen and most of you probably not but Polar Bear coolers made an offer on TMC a while back in return for comparing their products to the AO coolers that TMC has come to love. I happened to take them up on the offer but have a concern first.

The AO cooler I received from PBC leaks The day I received it, I filled it up with warm water in the tub and let it sit. Not an hr later I returned to it and it was only half filled with water and the lower half of the material was soaked. So being the skeptic I am I need to ask, all you AO cooler owners, if you fill your cooler with water and let it sit will it leak? After reading many reviews here I feel this is unusual but I need to ask as I'm not about to provide a review of something I feel may have been tampered with.

*Admins, I think I'm in the clear here but manage the site as you please, if you see fit.

Don't have one, everything I read leading up to the GB was that they are awesome and waterproof. I spaced and didn't order one but even w/o the group buy a good deal, will probably pick one up shortly. I would just email / call to see how they want to handle an exchange.

• Like 1

My new Stow n Go cooler doesn't leak at all.

I also have a 5 or 6 yr old AO backpack cooler with the carbon fiber outside. It didn't leak until this year. I called them up & for $5 they sent me a patch kit. I inverted the bag so it would dry out & found like 3 small cracks in the liner. I patched them all & to this day the cooler doesn't leak a drop at all.

I let mine keep water in it 1/2 full for 4 days about 2 weeks ago no leaks. I will say the kipper leaks. I thought I read it didn't but I don't mind it works great.

I also have a 5 or 6 yr old AO backpack cooler with the carbon fiber outside. It didn't leak until this year. I called them up & for $5 they sent me a patch kit. I inverted the bag so it would dry out & found like 3 small cracks in the liner. I patched them all & to this day the cooler doesn't leak a drop at all.

It should have been free

AO coolers are the best soft-sided coolers in the industry. Don't be fooled by imitation coolers made to look like ours. We were the first to introduce these innovative coolers over 20 years ago.
Our coolers are guaranteed to never leak or sweat because of our high quality vinyl liner, the same material used to make waterbeds and above ground pools. The inner insulation is three-quarters of an inch thick, high-density, closed cell foam. The combination creates a cooler that will hold ice for 24 hours in 120-degree heat. With our soft exterior, it won’t scratch up your gel coat or tear up any upholstery.
Because of our confidence in this product we guarantee the coolers for life. If it ever leaks we’ll replace the liner. Tested, used, and sold by many of the performance boating industries and top manufacturers. This cooler will be the best cooler you will ever purchase.

Seems like the $5 was shipping..... but if that was the case, it should have been like 50 cents.

Also, the carbon fiber stuff has been discontinued. Not sure how that effects the warranty.

Regardless, I was pretty happy with only spending $1 / yr for the repair.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

It should have been free

AO coolers are the best soft-sided coolers in the industry. Don't be fooled by imitation coolers made to look like ours. We were the first to introduce these innovative coolers over 20 years ago.

Our coolers are guaranteed to never leak or sweat because of our high quality vinyl liner, the same material used to make waterbeds and above ground pools. The inner insulation is three-quarters of an inch thick, high-density, closed cell foam. The combination creates a cooler that will hold ice for 24 hours in 120-degree heat. With our soft exterior, it won’t scratch up your gel coat or tear up any upholstery.

Because of our confidence in this product we guarantee the coolers for life. If it ever leaks we’ll replace the liner. Tested, used, and sold by many of the performance boating industries and top manufacturers. This cooler will be the best cooler you will ever purchase.

Love my boat cooler. Had no idea you had ties with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like the $5 was shipping..... but if that was the case, it should have been like 50 cents.

Also, the carbon fiber stuff has been discontinued. Not sure how that effects the warranty.

Regardless, I was pretty happy with only spending $1 / yr for the repair.

Glad I got one. Love ours, using it now around the pool as I type this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the competitor supplied the cooler, didn't seem fishy until it leaked like a sieve. I'll be withholding my review in the meantime.

I remember that post and it was not authorized as a TMC deal.

Not sure if it would make sense for a company to buy a $40+ cooler and give it away knowing it may not leak.

I have a few questions.

• Can you send pics of the holes, bag and label
  • Do you have an AO cooler to see if it looks and feels the same
  • Is there a chance this could be a nock off?
  • Why is it that over 150 MalibuCrew members own a AO cooler and the only one that leaked is the one that came free from a competitor?

I know people with the Polar Bear coolers that have leaked.

AO gives a life time guarantee and below is Polar Bear. One year

post-235-0-30454000-1372440596_thumb.gif

I got 2 of the stow and go's one leaked one didn't. AO was awesome, sent me a new one and a return label to ship the old one back. I have quite a few AO coolers, they are great but you will have a defective product every now and again.

It really doesn't matter if Polar Bear's coolers are cheaper and better made than AO (and I'm seeing they are priced similar and don't look as good). The ONLY cooler Polar Bear sells that would fit under a seat only holds a six pack.

In response to D-Goose, there are no holes in the AO cooler to my knowledge or eyes. It just leaks. I do not own another AO cooler to compare. If the pic shows up from my phone than you can check it out and see the water mark where the outer shell was soaked too.

martinarcher

Your cool.....that thread was deleted because Pllar Bear was advertising (against the TOU) in a public thread. They could have done a GB, but directly advertised in a thread so it was taken down.

I call BS on that being a genuine AO (or an untampered with AO). I would honestly call AO and let them know ASAP. I'm sure they would like to see this "AO" cooler. I know I would if a direct competitor shipped something with my name on it for a head to head competition. Just curious.....why the leak test? Something Polar Bear wanted you to try?

All I know is my AO has been WELL used and for 3 years has not leaked....heck it still looks brand new. Last weekend my brother got married and I loaded it up with drinks for the wedding party because I knew it would be in the 90s after the wedding during picture time. I tossed 3 ice packs in. It sat in the hot car all day....never leaked a drop and I had an ice cold drink for the ride home from the reception.

Funny side story.....the bride got light headed during the inside pics form the heat. I ran out and grabbed an ice pack and we slid it into the back of her dress to cool her down....good to go for the rest of the afternoon. :thumbup:

There were no requests for specific tests just a general review. The leak test was a byproduct of filling them with water to get them into proper shape from being shipped flat.

I just purchased and received my first A/O cooler about 4 weeks ago. I could not be more impressed with there product. I purchased it after reading a thread on this forum and this product lived up to the hype.

CB