Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

KD or D3 or HO or WHAT??

5genTexan

OK, I'm fairly new to the market of skis and bindings; however, I just got a KD CR7 at an incredible price Yahoo.gif , that I couldn't refuse. I now need some bindings, but, sense I'm no pro (heck, I'm barely novice), I need y'alls expert advise on where to go/what to buy. I've read just about everything on this site, but it just keeps getting muddier and muddier. Someone please simplify it for me! :( I've looked at Wiley's, H2Osmosis, Performance and many other places. I guess what I'm asking, is; does anyone know of one site that has a BIG selection? I'm also getting confused on what will fit the KD. I heard the D3s will, but if I buy the wrong thing, I might be causing problems for myself.

I've got a size 8 foot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Notworthy.gif

An RLXI and a KD CR7 and you say you're barely a novice. I'd say you're just being modest; either that or you guys in Kingwood got it goin on..

An RLXI and a KD CR7 and you say you're barely a novice. I'd say you're just being modest; either that or you guys in Kingwood got it goin on..

Oh man, I got a chuckle out of that one. Really though, new boat, but just learning slalom...the ski was less than 1/2 of wholesale. I tried using it once, but I couldn't balance on it, then, someone told me I needed bindings for it. Then, it all made sense. Biggrin.gif

All joking aside now...I really do need bindings. I'm thinking about the Wiley's. Anyone?

I've got a pair of the Wiley High Wraps on my KD. I really like 'em better than any others I've skied and the Wiley folks are good to work with. They are high performance bindings that get a little uncomfortable after about 10 - 15 minutes on your foot, but by then I'm about to pass out anyway.

Where do you ski down there? Is it too crowded, or can you find a secluded area?

Summer can't get here fast enough for me. I think I'll dewinterize this weekend.

Hope you have a great summer!

I've got a pair of the Wiley High Wraps on my KD. I really like 'em better than any others I've skied and the Wiley folks are good to work with. They are high performance bindings that get a little uncomfortable after about 10 - 15 minutes on your foot, but by then I'm about to pass out anyway.

Where do you ski down there? Is it too crowded, or can you find a secluded area?

Summer can't get here fast enough for me. I think I'll dewinterize this weekend.

Hope you have a great summer!

We've already had the boat out a couple times. This weekend, the forecast is 85 on Sunday...we're there!

We go to Lake Houston mostly, but in the San Jacinto river, in the mornings and evenings, it is totally smooth. That is where we'll be. It used to have a slalom course set up in one of the coves, but I haven't seen it since the last 5 floods.

Pretty sure the D3 boots fit, but HO, Obrien etc definately won't. Wileys will definately fit though. If you want to pay a bit D3 have a new boot out called the "driver". Apparently they are super comfortable for a rubber boot..

I tried using it once, but I couldn't balance on it, then, someone told me I needed bindings for it. Then, it all made sense. Biggrin.gif
You don't need no stinkin' bindings...use duct tape.. Crazy.gif ...might want to shave your ankles first though. :lol:

I'm not a big KD fan but I have tried their "stuff" and the KD bindings were nice. Well fitted with good support. I did not like the Wiley's bindings that a buddy of mine got on his Mapple. I thought that they fit too loose, they were too soft, and didn't offer the lateral ankle support that the higher end lace-up bindings offer. I have rear lace-up HO Animals on my CDX and front lace-up HO Approaches on my System 8...I'll never go back to "jam-your-foot-in" bindings.

HO and KD front binding mounting pattern is the same. If you want to put HO's on the rear then you need an aluminum plate from Wiley's -- about $15-20 to swap out and then the HO rear will bolt onto the KD rear of the ski.

At least that is what all happened when we put HO Phantoms on my ski partner's KD 7000 (??) or something along those lines. I went from Animals to Animal Superfeet to Phantoms to Approaches -- I like the Approaches the best -- snug fit & great edge control. Some people don't like them because they hardly release but I prefer them over the Animals. The Wileys that came on my partners KD ski were very loose, I don't tink they were the high performance high wraps or whatever though -- but I have heard that even those don't provide the same control as the HO's.

Thanks everyone. As always, great information. I went with the Wiley's...so, we'll see what happens from here. I'm just ready to go. We got that boat in September, so it has been HECK getting through these three or four months.