Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak help

hyperlitenerd

gah! pulling our teak out we look at the top of it, and it is almost all black!! it was laying top down on the floor of our boat, yes it is big enough to fit snugly on the floor. I have been trying to restore it to its original condition, with no luck what so ever. I have tried teak cleaner, teak preper, it takes all the excess water and chemicals out, and I have tried to sand it. Nothing, not even a dent! Mad.gif

Any idea what this could be??

Black mold??

Try TE-KA cleaner. It is a two part cleaner and neutralizer. Wear gloves with it, it can burn you. West Marine and many other places have it.

Mold maybe ? A little bleach would tell - that is, it would eat it if it's mold. I don't think bleach would hurt the wood if it is not mold either. Did it do anything to the carpet where it was laying ?

The carpet is fine, still looks brand new. I would think sanding it would take any mold off, unless it went way deep into the wood.

I agree, or the wood was holding moisture and could not breath to dry.

Funny that the carpet is not stained. Maybe the marine grade carpet is mold resistant.

You mentioned you tried sanding. Was that by hand, or with a belt sander? (A belt sander lest you sand real fast "with" the grain, vs an orbital or vibrating sander that produces tiny little circular scroll marks.) I used a small palm sander with fine grit for the edges.

Last year when I picked up my 1998 RLX, the teak platform was pretty weather beaten. Not black, but very gray. I used the belt sander and got down to fresh wood. Finished it off by hand sanding. Labour of love.

While I was at it, I bought a small piece of teak.... cut some teak screw hole plugs, and inserted/glued them in each of the screw holes on the underside. Sanded and oild. I know, nobody gets to see the underside.... except the snakes and turtles and dock spiders and fish.... but, the underside looks nice and clean now.

Turned out looking like a dining room table from Sweden after the final sanding and 4 coats of teak oil.

One last modification. After standing back and looking at this fine piece of furniture that would be sitting on the back of my boat, very tempting for someone to steal with a quick removal of the 2 ss pins.... I decided I wanted to at least "brand" the platform in case it was stolen. I used a small metal engraving vibrator marking tool and engraved my Driver's Licence number onto both platform brackets underneath. Likely wouldn't deter a thief from stealing.... but at least if it is stolen, I would be able to identify it if I ever saw it on another Malibu.

First year we had the Skier, someone stole the platform at night while the boat was on the mooring. I now use ss bolts with lock nuts. Makes more work for the thief. Weird thing is, 6 years later, the platform was left on the beach. I now have 2 for that boat.

I agree with Doug. When I purchased by boat the teak platform was in poor condition. I used a 60 grit belt on my belt sander and it still took some time to get out the discoloration and scratches. Now I touch it up with 80 grit and use numerous coats of teak oil. I have found that sanding with anything greater than 80 grit makes the surface a little to slippery. I also suggest you wear a dust mask or respirator due to the unknown black substance.

Gordon

I agree with Doug.  When I purchased by boat the teak platform was in poor condition.  I used a 60 grit belt on my belt sander and it still took some time to get out the discoloration and scratches.  Now I touch it up with 80 grit and use numerous coats of teak oil.  I have found that sanding with anything greater than 80 grit makes the surface a little to slippery.  I also suggest you wear a dust mask or respirator due to the unknown black substance.

Gordon

Second that about slippery...

Marty @ AllGuard (the TeakGuard manufacturer) warned that sanding it too smooth will yield a very slippery platform. TeakGuard-treated surfaces may be worse for that but it still seems like good advice. They recommend 50 - 60 grit so I think Shastafan is right in the ballpark...

Don't know, but I do know it is my platform because it has 3 older style mounting brackets and I doubt that they can be exchanged from boat to boat w/o messing with the brackets.

I removed the Teakguard from my '03 platform last fall using a palm sander. I then cleaned it with teak cleaner and will do so again before I put teak oil on it. It looks brand new and has no stains.

My dad had me using 150 grit and 220 grit sandpaper which seemed way to fine for the teak atleast for the first pass. He said 60 grit would tear up the deck. I am using some form of a power sander, you just like lock a 5inx5in piece of sand paper into it and it vibrates n stuff. Ill set it out to dry and to do other stuff to it once it stops raining around here.

80 on a belt works great, just don't stay in one spot too long, and go with the grain.

Agree, wear a mask and glasses. Lots of dust from a belt sander.

I wouldn't use an orbital or any vibrating sander.

The bleach solution and sun may be just what is needed.

You can take a spray bottle and spray 100% pure bleach on the platform and let it set a bit. Then take a 3M green scrubby and scrub with the grain and if possible rinse with a pressure washer. Do this a couple of times and should clear it up. Wear gloves and old clothes! I did my friends MC and it turned out great. I did let it dry and gave it a light sanding.

I knew someone has dealt with this before. We have an endless pool of information here. Yeah, sometimes useless information, but non the less, an endless pool Biggrin.gif

I knew someone has dealt with this before. We have an endless pool of information here.  Yeah, sometimes useless information, but non the less, an endless pool  Biggrin.gif

Your not referring to any particular thread are you.... Biggrin.gif