Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I need a quick favor!!!

Henken

I'm about to retrofit my swim platform with a wedge access door, but I want to double check my measurements before I cut.

Can someone who has their boat handy give a width and length measurement. Thanks in advance Jeremy Biggrin.gif

Sorry Jeremy, my wedge doesnt have a door.  Did you make your first cut yet?

Not yet

I've been doing homework all day and had to much coffee to sleep. figured I'd at least make the cut, actually I dont think it will take to long to do the whole project.

I'll give ya call tommorrow and give the skinny on Lake Wissota :)

I'm about to retrofit my swim platform with a wedge access door, but I want to double check my measurements before I cut.

Can someone who has their boat handy give a width and length measurement.  Thanks in advance Jeremy Biggrin.gif

Be sure to use teak for your bracing around the door. When I did mine, I used some mahogany that I had left over from a deck project. I figured "heck, they made boats out of mahogony, it'll be perfect".

Well, mahogany expands more than teak when in the water & it tried to really raise H#*! with my teak platform. Then try to find a "little" teak - I used the internet & the phone book & everybody had a 12' long 2" thick board for $125.00 + freight !! Finally, I did a search on MBO & got the name of the outfit that builds the platforms for Malibu. I called them up & they sent me the boards cuts to length & a stainless hinge for about $30.00. They even sent it & said "send me a check". What a DEAL.

I used aluminum to reinforce the platform. I have some pic in my gallery also. The door dimension can be what ever you want it to be since you are making it. That is unless you are buying the door from the dealer.

Can someone who has their boat handy give a width and length measurement.  Thanks in advance Jeremy Biggrin.gif

Be sure to use teak for your bracing around the door. When I did mine, I used some mahogany that I had left over from a deck project. I figured "heck, they made boats out of mahogony, it'll be perfect".

Well, mahogany expands more than teak when in the water & it tried to really raise H#*! with my teak platform. Then try to find a "little" teak - I used the internet & the phone book & everybody had a 12' long 2" thick board for $125.00 + freight !! Finally, I did a search on MBO & got the name of the outfit that builds the platforms for Malibu. I called them up & they sent me the boards cuts to length & a stainless hinge for about $30.00. They even sent it & said "send me a check". What a DEAL.

I hear ya on finding teak wood, it took me forever to find it when I did the transom guard.

Of course I threw away the 10" scrap piece that would have been perfect for bracing. I think I'll use aluminum angles untill I find some more.

I used aluminum to reinforce the platform. I have some pic in my gallery also. The door dimension can be what ever you want it to be since you are making it. That is unless you are buying the door from the dealer.

I was thinking about that, is the stock size big enough? what size did you go?

If you are cutting the hole by hand (saw and sand) don't, borrow a roto-zip or a router. But I assume you knew that.

The opening ended up being 8 1/4" wide and a little over 7" deep.

When I tried to cut it and sand it and did not look square, I borrowed a Roto-Zip and squared it up. That is why it is not 8"x7".

I used a piece of 1"x1" aluminum angle and clamped it for a guide. To square it up, I stood the platform up on its edge and put a carpenters square on it.

I left 1/2" of the plate showing for the door to rest on. Works like a charm.

My dealer even gave me a plastic latch for free. What a deal!

Sunsetter....don't mean to rain on your parade, but the plastic latch will probably break.

It was mentioned on MBO that dealers were replacing the plastic latches with ss latches for free due to the plastic breaking pretty easily.

Not at all, I'm poor, it was free, it works, all is good.

SS later this summer.

I couldn't find a wide enough piece of Teak in Phoenix. I questioned the wood guy's and they said to glue it. Its done all the time. I can test the glue joint with the plastic latch, if it lets go and I can't find it, no great loss. I am thinking of puting some long skinny screws for added security on that glue joint though.

Just a tip I passed on to Sunsetter (check out that recessed latch!!!).

I'd recommend recessing the latch below the surface of the platform to prevent wakeboards, skis, etc from getting scratched from the latch. Here's my post on mbo explaining how easy it is.

http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index....ic=7475&hl=door

Sunsetter (or anyone else)--I actually have a new southco ss locking latch I bought on ebay awhile back that I was planning on using on a custom glove box latch....ended up just buying the malibu glove box and modifying it. Anyway....I'll sell it for $15 + shipping. PM me if interested.

Apologize for the 4 sale ad admins....hadn't planned on selling it, but since it's related to the topic......

It was your info from MBO that I used to recess my latch. I think you put it up just before it went over to the Darkside, I mean Wakeside. Oops.gif did I say that?

Thanks yabetcha I thought I was all done, I guess I'll go back out in the garage and recess the latch. Biggrin.gif great Idea

Finally finished a few hours ago.

platform Needs a good cleaning

Thanks to all who threw hints here and there. Yahoo.gif

post-33-1114405764_thumb.jpg

Edited by Henken
Biggrin.gif Need to pull braces off to sand and remove the ink, was in to big of a hurry to see what it looked like

post-33-1114405971_thumb.jpg

Edited by Henken