Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SSP on Vride

Scootertrash

I just ordered a SSP for our '05 Vride and was wondering if anybody out there has any experience with this type of a setup.

You see, we got the Vride as a "comprimise" boat after haviing two direct drives. Needless to say, we lost alot in our skiing wake. Of course, I am not expecting a Response wake, just hoping for an improvement over what we currently have. How much, I don't know. Maybe the SSP won't really do anything for me, but I feel compelled to try......

Any ideas, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Let us know what you think. I would love to change to a v drive but aren't willing to sacrifice my ski and foot wakes.

An XTI (direct drive with stadium seating)? might be my next boat.

"direct drive with stadium seating"

That is the idea, I just hope it works out. Although we still have snow on the ground, I will be getting the plate installed as soon as I get it. And, trust me, I will let you know how it works. If it works like I hope it will, it should make a great boat!!

as a "skier" with a family - I also like the V-drive seat layout, but do not want to give up the D-drive for skiing. I would also be interested in what you find out.

Plate Setup

I'd use these guidelines as a starting point and work from there. I'm not convinced that one of the Malibu V-Drives couldn't produce just as good a barefoot wake as any of the direct drives in the lineup. I'd expect to see the plate clean up the center of the wake similar to the effect it has on direct drives.

That said, I doubt the plate will do much to improve the wake for other skiing disciplines especially slalom. My ski takes to the ski like a rocket when it hits the wake behind that hull. It's just too big to produce a flat wake.

Let us know how it comes out.

If I recall, the ssp doesn't change the size of the wake, just the shape. Do a search. Someone, I think Martho or Oz, posted pictures of a response wake w and w/o the ssp.

If I recall, the ssp doesn't change the size of the wake, just the shape. Do a search. Someone, I think Martho or Oz, posted pictures of a response wake w and w/o the ssp.

I seem to recall the same thing. I don't know if the SSP is going to provide the lift to get the hull riding higher in the water, which is what it's going to take to make a smaller wake. Especially difficult with the engine rear-mounted. That being said, I hope I'm wrong and the SSP has the desired effect on your boat. I used to own a 2000 Sunsetter VLX (which I believe is the same hull as the current v-ride) so I am curious to learn if that ski wake can be improved upon. Good luck.

Edit: Just noticed a thread from earlier this month in which Roger Q comments on the plate on his LSV. I think that's a different hull than the v-ride, but may be worth contacting him with questions.

SSP thread

Edited by John I.

Maybe the guys at Merced could give you some insight. My initial thoughts on this would be that they have already tried it, and deemed it not worth marketing. BICBW. Good luck with your experiment...

Actually, when we took the factory tour a couple of years ago, I asked Mike Sanchez about an SSP on the vdrives & he said that they haven't put any R&D into it. The main reason is that the vast majority of people that are buying vdrives, no matter which one it is, are going to use that mounting bracket for the Wedge (since you can't have both on at the same time). Very few people that concerned with a footing wake are looking at the Malibu vdrives, & so they don't think it's worth the money to spend on the R&D.

What I'm wondering is what the wake will be like at boarding speeds? Isn't adjustment to the plate kind of a PITA & something that you want to be able to "set it & forget it?" I only ask because I honestly don't know, just looking for a little more edumacation. :)

don't the Centurian v-drives have some kind of a plate on them? I know one of the old MC barefoot guys has a centurian, and I thought he had a plate on it.

Something that greatly contributed to the barefoot and slalom wake of our 04 vlx-same hull as v-ride, was putting a 350 in the nose as far forward as possible. This helped keep the nose down and increase a little lift at the rear.

Edited by Cbrown

In the 2005 and 2006 brochures, the SSP option is listed as N/A for all models that are not in the performance series. Not sure it is a good idea but can't wait to here from youre experience. Maybe I would borrow one from the dealer or a friend before actually buying one if I were you.

I got to thinking about this a little more. Aren't the wedges different sizes for the different boat models? When I ordered a wedge for my boat the first one I received was too large for the bracket on my Rlx and I had to send it back.

I think SSP is designed to be used with the wedge bracket on the Rlx and Rlxi and may not work with the bracket on the Vride. I could be wrong though. Maybe somebody who knows for sure will chime in.

Well, the SSP is on the way and should be here the first of next week. This should be really interesting, first of all - to see if it will fit, and finally - to get it out on the water and see what happens to the wake, both slalom and wakeboard.... You know, I really don't know what to expect, but after thinking about it, I just had to try one out. I will either be overjoyed with the slalom wake, or you will see a posting for a "slightly" used ssp for sale later on........... I don't know when the "real" test will take place, but - I promise to post my experience with the plate, we are still in winter mode around the midwest...

Well, I got the SSP and loosely hung it on the mount yesterday. It does fit, and appears to have adequate adjustment range... Now comes the hard part, the adjusting.

Scooter, I'm a day late and dollar short here, but it'll work, and it'll help.

Set leading edge flush to the bottom of the transom, with 1/4" +/- between transom and plate. It's not going to be an issue, but no matter, make sure the plate is not wider than the hull pad (area before the hull starts uphill towards the chine).

Tighten the bolts up, and then crank each turnbuckle down to flex the plate into the water. You are creating a curve in the plate, which is correct. Go a little bit, run it, do a bit more, run it, etc until you find a flat table without disrupting the water too much. (Which you can do...too much that is)

The plate will increase wake density a bit, but it should provide good benefits too.

Peter

• 1 month later...
Well, I got the SSP and loosely hung it on the mount yesterday. It does fit, and appears to have adequate adjustment range... Now comes the hard part, the adjusting.

So, are you finished adjusting? Any news? Dontknow.gif

• 1 month later...

So, are you finished adjusting? Any news? Dontknow.gif

Sorry, I have been gone and we just got the boat in the water for the first time last week. I had to take off for a weeks vacation with a boat that hadn't been in the water yet and had this new experimental plate on it! Bottom line, I really think the ssp made a difference, if I had it to do over - I would buy one and put it on. I did have to modify the plate surface to make it work.

The last time I was behind the boat was last September, but - I could ski without that huge thud when crossing the wake. I still don't think I could recomend the Vride for the course, but for me and my free skiing, it works.....

BTW, we spent last week at Table Rock Lake, went there just to check out the lake. Wow, nice place, nice water, great week....

That's interesting. It would be nice if there were an easy way to go from the plate to the wedge quickly/easily/on the water.

BTW, we spent last week at Table Rock Lake, went there just to check out the lake. Wow, nice place, nice water, great week....

Where did you stay? We were there from the 17th thru the 24th. Stayed at the Tribesman resort on Indian Point. Agree with you on the lake. Loved it!

We stayed at Kings Cove, on Aunts Creek just west of Kimberling City on the James River Arm that goes north to Cape Fair. We always found great water, I even had some awesome freeskiing sets several afternoons. Definatley a ski friendly lake, we will go back.

I just noticed, you are from Lacrosse, did you trailer all the way down?

Edited by Scootertrash
We stayed at Kings Cove, on Aunts Creek just west of Kimberling City on the James River Arm that goes north to Cape Fair. We always found great water, I even had some awesome freeskiing sets several afternoons. Definatley a ski friendly lake, we will go back.

I just noticed, you are from Lacrosse, did you trailer all the way down?

Actually I am from Rochester, MN. Lacrosse is where we are holding the MN/WI WOW. Yes, we trailered the boat down. Left at 5AM and arrived at 5PM. Makes for a long day behind the wheel, but I'd do it again.

Indian Point is "resort central" I think so we were probably in the busiest part of the lake. As it was, we ended up running to Cow Creek (half way to K. City) to find decent water for boarding.