Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Attention Limo drivers (247 owners)

hotrodbowtie

The 247 with the HH is suppose to run around 43 mph. I would check into a 13.5 x 17 and see what happens.

Which is still slower than the X-45 right? :unsure:

ok, More info...

I have been bouncing stuff of of my dealer and here is some additional info

The 8.1l and the hh have completely different drivetrains.

The 8.1 has vdrive gear ratio of 1.2 to 1 vs the hh being 1.45 to 1.

The 8.1 has transmission ratio of 1 to 1.03 and the hh is (approx 1.46-1.24 to 1) He did not have a hh to look at the exact ratio.

So all of the comparisons between the 8.1 and the vortec are null and void daaaannnnnngggg.

Guess all of us with the hh will have to compare notes and all of the 8.1 drivers will have to compare notes.

I still want to share thought because it brings up great questions and keeps my dealer on his toes!

Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

This seems funny... why would the drive ratio be different? I don't belive it (though I don't have any information) but I'd bet that they'd want minimize the number of different parts laying around

I'd be a lot more tempted to believe the stats on your boat than the magazine. The 8.1L will turn fewer rpms than the HH, but it won't push the boat 8.5 mph faster with the same prop, no way do I believe that figure.

I thought the 8.1L had a max RPM of 5400 and the HH was 5200?

I should have phrased that differently, sorry. Yes, it can wind higher, but it will put out more power (torque) at lower rpms than the HH or especially the Monsoon. The top of the rpm range for a big block tends to produce limited gains compared with the small blocks since the majority of their power is made at comparitively lower rpms. There is no replacement for displacement. Biggrin.gif As for why it topped out at a lower rpm with the same prop vs. the HH, again it's probably the displacement but part of me wonders if they're putting a different gear reduction in the tranny with that particular motor.

EDIT: Haha, looks like Hotrod answered that one for us. :)

The 247 with the HH is suppose to run around 43 mph. I would check into a 13.5 x 17 and see what happens.

Which is still slower than the X-45 right? :unsure:

Right :)

Supposedly.......

Mine was calibrated using gps and the tach cal was double checked to verify. They also have another 247 in stock with hh and same prop with the same results. 5300rmp with 39mph

Crazy.gifCrazy.gifCrazy.gif

What speed was it calibrated at? On our VLX we calibrate around 21-25mph because that is what is most important to us but when we head towards the top end the speedo may read 48-53 where the GPS will read 44-45. When you slow back down to the 22ish area the speedos and PP are right back on target. That is the same with both PP and the analog speedo. To verify the speed and be sure borrow a handheld GPS and take it out with you next time.

I agree with the bigger gear in the HH. It will be lacking on the low end, and having the gearing larger will produce that extra torque so you don't get dragged for 30 yards. Makes sense to me. My buddy put a 4.10 in his car. Crazy off the line, but top end was very weak. you have to sacrifice somewhere, high or low, and since in pulling skiers and boarders, we tend to stay around 35 or less, that hole shot is more important than wasting gas and getting somewhere fast. After all we are on the lake, what's the hurry?

Unless your trying to help your friend get his mastercraft back to the dock, another good reason for the low end torque... towing. Rockon.gif

Supposedly.......

Mine was calibrated using gps and the tach cal was double checked to verify. They also have another 247 in stock with hh and same prop with the same results. 5300rmp with 39mph

What speed was it calibrated at? On our VLX we calibrate around 21-25mph because that is what is most important to us but when we head towards the top end the speedo may read 48-53 where the GPS will read 44-45. When you slow back down to the 22ish area the speedos and PP are right back on target. That is the same with both PP and the analog speedo. To verify the speed and be sure borrow a handheld GPS and take it out with you next time.

When we calibrated our 05 LSV w/ HH383, we calibrated our PP and speedo at 22 mph as well. Then checked it at 10 mph and WOT. To my surprise, the speedo @ WOT was usually within 1 mph of the GPS. Surprised.gif

OK, more data from today's trip

Keep in mind that all data is at 2800ft of altiude

Tried at 3blade 13.5x17.5 (801) and had pretty good sucess.

5250 rpm at 42.5mph The hole shot was a little slower but very acceptable.

32mph was 4600rpm now 32mph is 3900rpm I like that for econ.

Full balast with two 200lbs peeps in boat was definitely a bit softer than I might like but that would be like pulling a skier/footer with seven in the boat (which I would not do). topspeed was 39.5.

Next trip I will be trying 4blade 13.5x17.5

Now some 8.1 l info for you all

8.1l 247 with 13.5x17.5 4700rpm 39mph very soft and sluggish all over

13.5x16 5050rpm 43mph Great combo here

Millertw,

Help us out here, give us some specs and numbers. I know that there are some 247 owners out there with some great info. I would like to make a chart by engine/boat/prop to help everyone else out

Supposedly.......

When we calibrated our 05 LSV w/ HH383, we calibrated our PP and speedo at 22 mph as well. Then checked it at 10 mph and WOT. To my surprise, the speedo @ WOT was usually within 1 mph of the GPS. Surprised.gif

And you are selling your boat? Sounds like you got the best of everything on this one. A motor that lasted more than 50 hours, working speedo, and working fuel guage. I guess a huge surf wake and 1'7" is a justified reason. Biggrin.gif

Edited by Cbrown
And you are selling your boat? Sounds like you got the best of everything on this one. A motor that lasted more than 50 hours, working speedo, and working fuel guage. I guess a huge surf wake and 1'7" is a justified reason. Biggrin.gif

Its already sold :) It was the best BU out of my last 3. We're hoping the new one will work out just as well. If not, there's always and X45 :lol:

Its already sold :) It was the best BU out of my last 3. We're hoping the new one will work out just as well. If not, there's always and X45 :lol:

Finally! Tongue.gif

Millertw,

Help us out here, give us some specs and numbers. I know that there are some 247 owners out there with some great info. I would like to make a chart by engine/boat/prop to help everyone else out

Mine was sprayed two days ago, scheduled delivery is first week of May! I worked an extra prop into the deal and this thread wil help with what pitch I plan to go with. I have the HH as well. I boat mostly in Mead and Havasu and would like a little more top end to get around the lakes a bit faster. I am sure with a prop spec'd in that direction there will still be plenty of torque to pull up riders. Will changing to such a prop change anytihg for wakesurfing? Thanks.

Millertw,

Mine was sprayed two days ago, scheduled delivery is first week of May! I worked an extra prop into the deal and this thread wil help with what pitch I plan to go with. I have the HH as well. I boat mostly in Mead and Havasu and would like a little more top end to get around the lakes a bit faster. I am sure with a prop spec'd in that direction there will still be plenty of torque to pull up riders. Will changing to such a prop change anytihg for wakesurfing? Thanks.

Only time will tell. Go with the prop from the factory and see what happens. Try surfing with it. Then try running it WOT with both a full tank and a 1/2 tank and get numbers. GPS is key. If you rely on the fact that some yahoo at the dealership calibrated your speedo, your hosed. You gotta use your own GPS and verify. For example, I made a couple of calls yesterday, and I was told by a couple of people that the stock 247 was running between 43-45 mph with the stock prop. Yet, Hotrod was running 39 mph? But who knows, if he had a full tank or 1/4 tank? Possibly with 87 gallons of fuel on board and if the tank is mounted more forward, it may be enough to push the nose down a little and slow the boat down a little. Dontknow.gif

Best thing to do is test yourself. Use a GPS and get some numbers. Also, make sure that your testing is consistent. i.e. full tank of gas, or 1/3 tank of gas (don't rely on fuel gauge, mark a level on fuel tank) to get consistant readings. Run one prop, refuel put on the other prop. Zero ballast, full ballast etc.

At least that's what I would do :)

This is just my opinion, so take it FWIW....

Surfing isn't one of the determining factors with a prop. Yes the boat is really loaded down, but you're not pulling a load & therefore it's not going to be pulling speed down & holeshot isn't an issue (pulling up a surfer is one of the easiest). The compromise comes (at least with wakeboarding boats, skiing & footing are 2 different stories altogether) between the quality of the pull at boarding speeds, holeshot & how important that is to you, & top end - all with & without ballast. IMO those are the 3 important factors when choosing a prop for these boats. JM2C

I do agree on the testing, make sure that all of the variables that you can control are consistent. And take notes, because if you're like me then your memory will fail you. :)

Easiest way to do this would be a spreadsheet, that everyone could have access to, and be able to update with their info. EX. columns. Model, year, engine, altitude,prop used, specs. time to speed, whatever else you can think of. Maybe create one yourself, and when people try things out, they can send you the info to update it. and just have it posted somewhere.

We are headed to the anaheim boat show tomorrow. We were at the LA show, but just didn't have enough time to look at all the vendor booths. Should be fun.

I had my 247 out today (8.1) with the factory prop. It was the lake test @ time of purchase, and the lake isn't very big, but I could run steady at 30mph @3krpm, not GPS though. That was with the stock prop.