Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Attention Limo drivers (247 owners)

hotrodbowtie

Attention all of you limo drivers!!! What are you all running for a propeller.

diameter, pitch, rpm, mph, and most of all are you happy with the performance.

You might want to add what altitude you are at.

Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

I am running a 13.5 x 16 acme. I am running right at 5300 at 39mph. I feel like I have a bunch of extra power that I am not taking advantage of so I am going to try moving up to a 3 blade 17 pitch.

I am at 2800ft of altitude. I am Really happy with the performance of my boat except, I want to optimize it a bit more. I dont like to have to run 4600rmp to cruise at 32mph.

Lets hear some other views please!!!

Rather than going to a 3 blade, try just moving up the ladder to the Acme 381 (13.5 x 17.5). We did that with our HH & gained about 4-5 mph on the top end & we're not hitting the rev limiter anymore getting there. Still plenty of power all the way through the powerband as well.

Rather than going to a 3 blade, try just moving up the ladder to the Acme 381 (13.5 x 17.5).

I think Tracie nailed it. I can't believe they put a prop that small on that boat with that motor.

Rather than going to a 3 blade, try just moving up the ladder to the Acme 381 (13.5 x 17.5). We did that with our HH & gained about 4-5 mph on the top end & we're not hitting the rev limiter anymore getting there. Still plenty of power all the way through the powerband as well.

That is a great idea. I am going to do that as well. The only reason that I am going to try a 3 blade again is that I know that it reduces drag as well, therefore increasing fuel economy. We are not hardcore wakeboarders, in fact we typically ski, surf, and joy ride much more than board. We went to the 247 strictly to gain the room (and bonus of the best surf wake) since we typicaly have at least 11 in the boat..

I will keep you updated with the performance of each blade.

I never tried a 3 blade on my VLX. Since Malibu doesn't send any of their vdrives from the factory with anything but a 4 blade, I figured I'd stay with that. So far I've been really happy with the 381, it seems just about right for the enitre package. The Acme 3 blades are really good though, so it may work fine.

Rather than going to a 3 blade, try just moving up the ladder to the Acme 381 (13.5 x 17.5).

I think Tracie nailed it. I can't believe they put a prop that small on that boat with that motor.

I wonder if they set it up that way for altitude? Must have monster bottom end....... but 39 mph @ 5300 RPM is crazy. Did you talk to your dealer about it? What about the factory? Maybe you could get one of them to change it out at no charge.

Ours only gave us 42ish on the top end with that same prop. I suspect that they think that people won't care about the top end & that they'll load the living crap out of their boats, thus needing the 537. Problem is, a lot of us buy our boats & then under most conditions use it just as it came from the factory (surfing is another matter, but you don't need tons of power for that anyway). I've got that 537 safely tucked away as a spare now.

My dealer is working with me with no probs what so ever. He is up for anything so he will order whatever I want if it is not in stock with no obligation. I worked two props into the deal so I will be testing several and they will probably be different since we spend time at 2800ft and 5000 ft. Thanks for the input, and keep it coming.

<Off topic HiJack>

Hey HotRod what's the temp at Lucky Peak? I'm assuming that's where you've been running.

</HiJack>

We went up yesterday and the water was 44 at the dam and 38 near arrowrock. A bit windy but we surfed and skied.

That is a great idea. I am going to do that as well. The only reason that I am going to try a 3 blade again is that I know that it reduces drag as well, therefore increasing fuel economy. We are not hardcore wakeboarders, in fact we typically ski, surf, and joy ride much more than board. We went to the 247 strictly to gain the room (and bonus of the best surf wake) since we typically have at least 11 in the boat..

I will keep you updated with the performance of each blade.

I really don't think that the extra blade produces extra drag, after all, the prop is where the push is from to move the boat. In any case, the size of a single blade in comparison to the drag from the hull is very small.

I am running a 13.5 x 16 acme. I am running right at 5300 at 39mph. I feel like I have a bunch of extra power that I am not taking advantage of so I am going to try moving up to a 3 blade 17 pitch.

I am at 2800ft of altitude. I am Really happy with the performance of my boat except, I want to optimize it a bit more. I dont like to have to run 4600rmp to cruise at 32mph.

You know what is kind of weird here is Water Ski Mag tested the 247 with a 8.1L, Acme 13.5 x 16 4 blade and got 47.5 mph @ 5050 RPM. Your running 5300 RPM with the same prop and only getting 39 mph? Crazy.gif

I would be interested in this as well. We have a 247 with the 8.1L, and will be running it at 5k ft. It would be nice if we could get a pro on this subject??? great thread.

Miller- same for us, 8.1 at >5k. My dealer is working with acme to get the perfect prop for the 247, they are even sending a beta prop to try. I don't kow if beta is the right word, but it isn't in production, they just wanted us to try it. I'll post results and props when I know more....

Edited by Festivus

Do you know what prop you currently have ? What rpm/speed are you running with that combo.

Thanks,

You know what is kind of weird here is Water Ski Mag tested the 247 with a 8.1L, Acme 13.5 x 16 4 blade and got 47.5 mph @ 5050 RPM. Your running 5300 RPM with the same prop and only getting 39 mph? Crazy.gif

Yep I'd say one of 'em has a speedo thats not calibrated

Supposedly.......

Mine was calibrated using gps and the tach cal was double checked to verify. They also have another 247 in stock with hh and same prop with the same results. 5300rmp with 39mph

Crazy.gifCrazy.gifCrazy.gif

I'd be a lot more tempted to believe the stats on your boat than the magazine. The 8.1L will turn fewer rpms than the HH, but it won't push the boat 8.5 mph faster with the same prop, no way do I believe that figure.

I'd be a lot more tempted to believe the stats on your boat than the magazine. The 8.1L will turn fewer rpms than the HH, but it won't push the boat 8.5 mph faster with the same prop, no way do I believe that figure.

I thought the 8.1L had a max RPM of 5400 and the HH was 5200?

Supposedly.......

Mine was calibrated using gps and the tach cal was double checked to verify. They also have another 247 in stock with hh and same prop with the same results. 5300rmp with 39mph

Crazy.gifCrazy.gifCrazy.gif

ok, More info...

I have been bouncing stuff of of my dealer and here is some additional info

The 8.1l and the hh have completely different drivetrains.

The 8.1 has vdrive gear ratio of 1.2 to 1 vs the hh being 1.45 to 1.

The 8.1 has transmission ratio of 1 to 1.03 and the hh is (approx 1.46-1.24 to 1) He did not have a hh to look at the exact ratio.

So all of the comparisons between the 8.1 and the vortec are null and void daaaannnnnngggg.

Guess all of us with the hh will have to compare notes and all of the 8.1 drivers will have to compare notes.

I still want to share thought because it brings up great questions and keeps my dealer on his toes!