Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Loose ground wires

Scootertrash

I did some wiring on the boat over the weekend and I found several "very" loose ground wires on the ground bus....... I had not noticed any erratic problems, but I have to assume - I was about to!!!

I just thought that it would be a good idea for everybody to take a minute and check theirs. It would only take a few minutes, and it could sure eliminate some nasty issues.

Look under the dash, mounted to the hull by the forward pop up cleat.

Edited by Scootertrash
I did some wiring on the boat over the weekend and I found several "very" loose ground wires on the ground bus....... I had not noticed any erratic problems, but I have to assume - I was about to!!!

I just thought that it would be a good idea for everybody to take a minute and check theirs. It would only take a few minutes, and it could sure eliminate some nasty issues.

Look under the dash, mounted to the hull by the forward pop up cleat.

Good Advice!!!

12 years ago we set out to Dale Hollow with another couple for our first big outing with our boat. We were about 30 min from camp when a huge storm came out of nowhere. We were flying back when we hit a huge wave and bam--dead in the water, pouring cold rain, lightning thunder, blowing for rock wall and skis for paddles. We got a tow into a marina finally under cover we called the dealer back in Ohio for ideas. Ignition wire came loose behind dash. We often check those now.

I'll second that. I had several loose wires when I got my boat home. Not only grounds but neutral saftey switches etc. It's a good idea to get very familiar with your boat before you get out somewhere and get stranded. Spend a little time and check it out.

I just started carrying in my onboard tool box some misc. wire terminals, spare wire of different guages, and crimpers. You never know.