Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which new Malibu is best for me??

hfishman

Hello all,

I am looking to buy a new boat this year - I just sold my 1992 Malibu Sunsetter, and am choosing between a 2005 Malibu Iride and a 2005 Malibu Respone LXi. I enjoy both slalom skiing and wakeboarding, and hope to improve in both. I've been skiing for about 25 years, and wakeboarding for about 4 years.

The IRide is a better deal for me financially, but I don't know how it will be as a slalom boat. Has anyone slalomed behing an Iride? I'm guessing it will have a better wake than the '92 Sunsetter, but I would appreciate any and all input.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to the site!

It might help the skiers on the site if you could give us some info as to how you ski. Are you a course skier? If so, what length & speed do you ski at? Or are you purely a recreational skier? Are you the only one in your group that skis or are there others? If so, what are their skill levels?

Also, what type of conditions do you typically boat in - rough, big lake water or smaller, more private settings?

I ride all the way. Throw away the skinny stick and up grade your wakeboard. The family will love you for it. Tease.gif

Mike stop your Baby.gif talk Crazy.gif . I know your going to say some thing. ;)

Welcome.gif

Will you be Fishing off the boat as well???? Innocent.gif

I haven't been behind an I-Ride but I'd bet it's a better crossover boat than the Rlxi.

If wakeboading is a big priority for you, the I Ride will be the better choice. If a course junkie you are, the Rlxi is the way to go.

The best advice for you is to get behind both of them and decide for yourself.

When I sell these two boats I use this system

The Response Lxi is 80% Ski 20% Wakeboard

The I Ride is 50-50

I think the I-Ride is the best crossover boat Malibu Makes. It has the same hull as the 94-02 Sunsetter, which isn't so bad for skiing, but it does respond well to the wedge and ballast for wakeboarding

Welcome to the site!

It might help the skiers on the site if you could give us some info as to how you ski. Are you a course skier? If so, what length & speed do you ski at? Or are you purely a recreational skier? Are you the only one in your group that skis or are there others? If so, what are their skill levels?

Also, what type of conditions do you typically boat in - rough, big lake water or smaller, more private settings?

Thanks for the welcome! I've lurked for awhile, but never posted.

I'm 44 years old and I'm mostly a recreational skier. I had my hip replaced 2 years ago along with some residual low back pain, so I had to take a couple of seasons off. I started back on the water last year, and got the itch again.

I have tried the course several times, and hope to learn it better this Summer. I like to ski at least 15 off, sometimes shorter. I enjoy skiing fast (34-36) but if I get to the course, I obviously slow it down. The lake I do most of my skiing on is a relatively small lake, although not quite perfect conditions. We usually get some good conditions first thing in the morning - good enough to foot.

As for wakeboarding, I'm pretty new. I finally cleared both wakes at the end of last season, and was able to do an "ugly" olly 180. I did not invest in any kind of ballast system for my boat, as I knew I would be selling it after the season. I would like to get more consistent on getting air, softening my landings, and adding some tricks.

I appreciate all of your help.

Howard

In my opinion the Iride is the very best crosstrainer boat on the market. I've had the luck to get to slide behind most of the Malibus and many of the other brands. I owned an 04 Wakesetter DD which is the Iride now. It did everything very well.

Welcome to the site, let us know which way you go.

Joe

The Iride will fit your needs based upon what information you’ve provided. I ski regularly behind a SLX (same hull) and since it’s not the diamond hull of the RLXI it’s be a bit harder and larger, but still a very good slalom boat. Since it doesn’t have the diamond hull it’ll provide nice wakes for boarding. It’s the best crossover boat other than the 99’-04’ SLXI. The ratio that the Edge provided is what I’d recommend.

The I Ride is 50-50

I think the I-Ride is the best crossover boat Malibu Makes. It has the same hull as the 94-02 Sunsetter, which isn't so bad for skiing, but it does respond well to the wedge and ballast for wakeboarding

Have you tried the IRide on a slalom course?

The Iride will fit your needs based upon what information you’ve provided. I ski regularly behind a SLX (same hull) and since it’s not the diamond hull of the RLXI it’s be a bit harder and larger, but still a very good slalom boat. Since it doesn’t have the diamond hull it’ll provide nice wakes for boarding. It’s the best crossover boat other than the 99’-04’ SLXI. The ratio that the Edge provided is what I’d recommend.

I've heard a few comments about the 99-04 SLXI being a great crossover boat. Is the 05-06 boat any different?

The 05-06 SLXi is very different from the 99-04 SLXi. It's bigger & heavier and many have said it doesn't even compare in either dicipline to the 99-04.

There was a thread here about it recently.

The I Ride is 50-50

Have you tried the IRide on a slalom course?

I've ridden behind and driven one thru the course. For the recreation skier it preforms nicely and holds it's course. I prefer the response or echelon though through the course due to the small size and nimbleness.

I've heard a few comments about the 99-04 SLXI being a great crossover boat. Is the 05-06 boat any different?

The 05'- models drastically changed this boat. They widened the beam from 93.5" to 98". Increase the carrying capacity from 10-12 people. Reduced the size of the rear trunk, stretched the hull and now use the v25 diamond vs the v23 diamond, weight increased from 2900 lbs to 3300 lbs, gas capacity from 35 to 47 gallons. Basically a great crossover boat albeit the edge goes to slalom vs the wakesetter (SLX) the edge goes to wakeboarding. With these changes in 05' the SLXI is really no longer a great crossover boat and really excel’s at nothing. I woulnd be surprised if this either was revamped soon or dropped al together.

most of my customers that have the Sunsetter LX (Wakesetter DD, and now the i-ride) say it works just great through the course

Wow, I really appreciate everyone's advice! I'm leaning towards the iride, but I want to take them both out for a ride. I'm selling my 92 Sunsetter tomorrow, and hope to have a new ride within a week or two.

I'll keep you all posted on what I do. If anyone ever hits the Chicago area drop me a line and I'll be glad to give ya a day out!

Howard

If you have any thought as to running the course, I say buy the RLXi. With the Wedge, you are still going to get a intermediate wakeboard wake. My personal preference is to buy a boat that is great at one thing. Once you get into the RlXi, I think your mind will be made up.

Good luck.

SGY makes a great point. Your 92 Sunsetter was an approved towboat with a great wake AWSA link

I sold out and got a Sunsetter 21XTi. It's not even close to the RLXi for the course. The RLXi is perfect! The I-ride is hard on my old inured knees, hip and back. You definitely need to try them out first. For me the SSXTi was a better ski wake than the I-ride with a lot more versatility, but its no Response.

For 05-06 there's only one Malibu. RLXi

We went through a similar search and even did a pending water test on the new Sunsetter. It just didn't have the ski boat feel because of the higher free board and the wakes were really wide when we drove it through the course. End result-- we brought home our "New" 2001 Sunsetter LXi last night. Here is the great posting That I got a lot of great responses to that helped us decide.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....c=3770&hl=cc216

Edited by 89SN2001

I'm going to be the odd man out.

I believe the iRide, while it is basically a 96-99 Sunsetter LX, is not the best cross-over boat. In it's day it was excellent, and while it has proved it's value, don't forget about other boats in the line.

There has been plenty of negative "talk" about the new SLXi, but until you have been behind it I would say shut up and ski the course. Then come "talk" about it. No armchair engineers please. It doesn't have the lines of the old SLXi, but it has alot more look than the iRide, and it'll slalom better.

21.5 XTi with Wakesetter graphics, tower, etc -

SLXi with same options -

That'd be my reccomendation.

Peter