Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion wont shut up

Today we were out on the lake(like everyday Yahoo.gif ) and the water was kind of rough. The illusion was smaking and shaking and making mad noises over the smallest chop . Is there a quick and simple way to make it stop doing this.

I never heard a noise out of my illusion, so I would imagine something is not right with yours. Take it back to the dealer, and let them see if something is not adjusted right.

That doesn't sound right at all. I do know that there are bushings that get installed when they put the tower on, so it's possible that they didn't get some or all of them in. What year is your boat?

my boat is a 2006. when the boat was delivered the tower wasnt on it and the dealer had to install it. It was the first illusion the dealer ordered and installed, they did a great job on installing it maybe the bushings werent installed

That doesn't sound right at all. I do know that there are bushings that get installed when they put the tower on, so it's possible that they didn't get some or all of them in. What year is your boat?

my boat is a 2006. when the boat was delivered the tower wasnt on it and the dealer had to install it. It was the first illusion the dealer ordered and installed, they did a great job on installing it maybe the bushings werent installed

That may be it then. Ours was done by the dealer because of the custom color, it came later than the boat. When they did the install, the lead service man wasn't there & as a result wasn't done quite right, including the bushings not being installed. Ours had the opposite problem though, in that it was waaaaay too tight & was difficult to raise & lower. When the head guy came back, they took it for a day & got all of the issues worked out. It works great now & we never hear a peep out of it (I can say that about every boat that I've been in that has had an Illusion on it). Bottom line, get it back to the dealer.

If I was a betting man it's the bushing or rubber/ plastic gaskets that fit between the tower and the base on the front bolt. I was lucky enough to help the dealer install my tower to the plate and he made it very clear to make sure the bushings were installed. Their are only bushings on the front bolt of the tower the back bolt/pin does not have one. Take it back to the dealer. While it's there check to make sure they attached the cable to the springs because my dealer had never done this before and wasn't sure how to do it but with a little help from me and the instructions that came with the tower we figured it out.

I had the exact same issue and it turned out to be that the bushings were not installed. I feel your pain because it is a terrible racket but easily fixed. Crazy.gif

I had the same issue. Around the time i was researching the problem, I found that it was pretty common for the bushings to be left out. The dealer fixed mine no problem.

I have also had to tighten the bolts holding it onto the boat a few times.

My new Illusion tower has the exact opposite problem. The tower lock pins are in so tight that the thing will not budge. I can't pull the pins out to collapse the tower! I need a second person to push on the tower with all of their weight to get the tower to move a fraction of a milimeter so I can pull out the pins.

I had the exact same issue and it turned out to be that the bushings were not installed. I feel your pain because it is a terrible racket but easily fixed. Crazy.gif

Mine had the same problem, bushings.

My new Illusion tower has the exact opposite problem. The tower lock pins are in so tight that the thing will not budge. I can't pull the pins out to collapse the tower! I need a second person to push on the tower with all of their weight to get the tower to move a fraction of a milimeter so I can pull out the pins.

slider gets in front of the tower & gets his shoulder on the tower, pushing against it to "wiggle" (if you will) the tower enough to get the pins out. There really isn't any play that you can see with the naked eye, but with the weight of the tower on them, it's really difficult to get them out. So you just need that little bit of relief to pull them.

slider gets in front of the tower & gets his shoulder on the tower, pushing against it to "wiggle" (if you will) the tower enough to get the pins out. There really isn't any play that you can see with the naked eye, but with the weight of the tower on them, it's really difficult to get them out. So you just need that little bit of relief to pull them.

I agree if you put a little upward pressure on the front of the tower it should remove farily easy. I have the same issue one comes out easy the other I need to lift or wiggle the tower a little.

I have the same problem and called Metcraft. They said that the tower needed what he called a "power spacer". They said to have your dealer fax them an order. They said to be specific about your year (ie 2005 power spacer ) because deferent year towers require different spacers. Hope it helps

had a tower on an 05 vlx that banged hard when i hit a wave. dealer only installed the one spacer on each side that came with the tower. dealer added two more spacers, one on each side that were from an 06 tower. no more bang. the spacers from the 06 looked very simular to the 05 spacers.

• 1 year later...
had a tower on an 05 vlx that banged hard when i hit a wave. dealer only installed the one spacer on each side that came with the tower. dealer added two more spacers, one on each side that were from an 06 tower. no more bang. the spacers from the 06 looked very simular to the 05 spacers.

Does anyone know what the spacers are? I put new bushings in today and still the right side has some play in it. The front bolt (with the new bushing is tight), the play is at the rear bolt.

Today we were out on the lake(like everyday Yahoo.gif ) and the water was kind of rough. The illusion was smaking and shaking and making mad noises over the smallest chop . Is there a quick and simple way to make it stop doing this.

My tower never had the bushings installed. I went down to the local hardware store and bought 4 rubber washers and installed them on each side of the forward mount bolt. It doesn't raddle any more. It cost me about 5 bucks and the didn't have to take my boat to the dealer for 2 weeks. Yahoo.gif money well spent.

That would be guess as well, and is usually the culprit.

• 3 years later...

Guys,

There is an earlier thread here on this which gives some of the details. Check this thread out to get what you need. I will be trying this the next time I head up to the lake.

-Cruzhm