Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Biggest baddest SUV tow vehicle for under $15k?

shawndoggy

3M53I83H25Nc5I95H2d616be05eeb69b411da.jpOn second thought, looks like its been used in salt water.

Closed cooling and I'm sure there's a flush pro on there somewhere. Assuming that pic is from Pismo?

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 1

FWIW I live in the washington dc metro area and have 65000 miles on a 2005 f250 6.0 litre diesel crew cab with cap and love it. No real mountains to cross here in the east, but you will not be disappointed in a diesel. It will outlast and out pull anything in the gas category and will get excellent mileage in comparison... I pull 7000 lb rig all the time with no issues and get around 12.4 mph when towing and around 17 around town when not towing and around 19 mph on long trips without tow. This I my second diesel f250, only because I plow with them and sell them and get a newer version around the 100k mark. So I have about 4 more years with this one before looking to sell and buy another used, low mileage, well taken car of 250... They are worth the 3k to 4k $ difference over a comparable gas vehicle, IMO.

Goo luck!

Wakegirl, we had the exact vehicle '01 2500HD 8.1, and experienced the same issues. If babying it we could maybe get 180 miles to a tank, pull something 150-160 miles. Granted you could pull a house with it but mileage suxs!

Something like a Dmax crew with a tonneau or capper out of the question?

Unfortunately, yeah. I had a f150 and we dropped it because we couldn't haul enough people. We'll often have an suv full of our kids and their friends to the lake, so want a tow vehicle that can fit people.

As far as vehicles, yours is a 5 spd trans? Anything with a 6-spd or better should do quite a bit better from that stand point alone.

If you want significantly better towing, it's either going to have to be a 6.2 Yukon, Tahoe, or Escalate (they tow like a beast), or some sort of crew cab pickup with a diesel or the equivalent "HD" gas engine.

As far as Towing WOT, the vehicle is designed to do that, with the exception being the transmission. The transmission temperature as it approaches 200 F you will start developing issues with your transmission long term as the transmission fluid begins to loose it's hydraulic system capabilities.

Engine should be more or less fine.

LOL and on an 8 year old truck with 82k on the clock, I don't think I'm going to convince Nissan to take it back.

Is it supposed to be able to tow at WOT indefinitely? The problem is that on particular grades I'm either overgeared in 3rd or howling at WOT in 2nd. Really a shorter final drive ratio would fix my prob too, I think. Maybe I should put some really small Sentra wheels on and see how it does?

what!?!! You mean some people don't tow at WOT?

does the trans cooler placement interfere with the radiator?

Edited by Bozboat

Older F150

LOL! I replaced an F150 with the QX and the QX is night and day better. The QX is a very capable rig and if I lived somewhere that I didn't have to traverse the sierras regularly while towing a boat, I'm sure I'd be very happy with it.

On a serious note, what year is the QX? My wife drives a 2011 QX (new body) and we pull the boat with it through some serious hills and the Texas heat and have had zero issues. My 2012 CrewMax only wish it could pull a** well as the QX.

Does it have the tow package, meaning trans cooler?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Diesel won't work out if total mileage a year is less than 10K. If you used it as a daily driver, your commute would not be enought to get it warm. To leave it just sitting in the driveway seems like a waste and an invitation for your kid to take it for a spin.

On a serious note, what year is the QX? My wife drives a 2011 QX (new body) and we pull the boat with it through some serious hills and the Texas heat and have had zero issues. My 2012 CrewMax only wish it could pull a** well as the QX. Does it have the tow package, meaning trans cooler? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

06.... the old armada clone. All of the QX's come with the equivalent of the Armada's "big tow" package... trans cooler, lower final drive ratio (though in my extreme example not quite low enough), self leveling rear air suspension, etc.

It *pulls* great. A much better handling tow vehicle than the 05 F150 it replaced, especially after putting load range e tires on. It really does pull nicely.... unless I try to load it with boat and people and tow it over a 7,000' pass in 100* heat. Then it sorta hates on me.

what about short commutes tho? It's my understanding that this is bad for diesels?

I had a 99 Dodge Diesel and later a 2005 Duramax, both suffered from my ten mile daily commute. It got to the point where every fifth or sixth day I would take it out on my lunch hour and beat it over to the next town for lunch just to clean it out. Both trucks needed ball joints before 75K, both had battery issues, the duramax being explosive. Of the two, the Duramax was an improvement, but my theory of buying Heavy Duty and treating it nicely = a longer life, just didn't pan out. The engines ran fine, everything attached to them wore out just as fast as a gasser.

By the way, Tow vehicle threads are my favorite, they bring out the best from the crew. Pretty soon we will hear from the German Tow vehicle crowd.

• Like 3

LOL! I replaced an F150 with the QX and the QX is night and day better. The QX is a very capable rig and if I lived somewhere that I didn't have to traverse the sierras regularly while towing a boat, I'm sure I'd be very happy with it.

Traverse the sierras? Sorry, what does that mean

martinarcher

My 7.3L Excursion has been the best vehicle I have ever bought hands down. We have towed the boat quite a bit with it and wow....what a difference. There is a long climb coming home from the lake that I used to get down to 3rd gear in the 71' and crest at about 38mph. I can leave the Ex in 6th gear and crest it at 65mph. The first time I did it I was giggling like a little girl. :lol: We towed the 26 foot Jayco with it over the holiday weekend and it towed fantastic. I've been getting 19.5 mpg commuting back and forth to work with it daily. That is usually about 9 days of commuting 60 miles and two tows back and forth to the lake (also 60 miles). With the 44 gallon tank I fill up every two weeks if it needs it or not. Not sure how my mileage compares to the autos since it has the 6 speed ZF swap. It is also chipped and has 4" straight exhaust and a large intake so those three might also help with the mileage a bit.

Keep an eye out for one with a 7.3....they are amazing trucks.

If you like your vehicle and only have the issue of overheating on a couple tows a year, fix that problem instead.

- Re-gear it to something more friendly for towing (not sure of the gearing on that - on a GM I'd say 4.10's)

- Bigger radiator

Check the Nissan forums and see what those with those vehicles suggest. I'm sure you are not the 1st or 20th person that has had this issue.

• Like 1

If you like your vehicle and only have the issue of overheating on a couple tows a year, fix that problem instead.

- Re-gear it to something more friendly for towing (not sure of the gearing on that - on a GM I'd say 4.10's)

- Bigger radiator

Check the Nissan forums and see what those with those vehicles suggest. I'm sure you are not the 1st or 20th person that has had this issue.

I totally agree with NB, the only thing you keep returning to that you don't like only happens in one scenario. Add cooling capacity and your done. I have to image you have been to www.titantalk.com and www.clubarmada.com , but if not, good places to reference. FWIW I have towed up the Vantage hill on I-90 (10 miles ~ 2000+/- vertical) with a full load and the boat and have had to back off when it has been high 90's or 100 but it was the transmission getting too hot, not the engine ('05 Armada w/tow package).

Edited by MalibuTime

What if you simply upgraded the cooling system (larger radiator) and see if that cured the problem? You could also add a larger fan and cooler for the trans. That way, you can still have the nice ride, lots of passengers, and not worry about diesel. I hear you about climbing over the Sierras - lucky for me I'm only pulling about 6500 - and my Expedition seems to be just fine (220K+).

Right, how hot is it getting?

Honestly if you like the vehicle then maybe some poking around on the nissan forums should be your first stop. I was amazed at the number of people towing 5th wheels with titans.

My boat is definitely lighter but coming up out of warm springs is no slouch on a hot day. Neither the trans or the engine temp gauge even budge. Not a single millimeter. (Titan) Not the best comparison between weight and altitude combined but I am able to hold 70 on that climb. Much faster than I need to with zero needle movement.

Another thing. Using an air compressor and high pressure nozzle, blow out the radiator from the fan side as good as you can. Take the shroud off if you have to. I got a full pound of dirt out of silverado one time.

Edited by Ruffdog

Did you get the radiator chemically cleaned on the inside? Older rads can collect corrosion and mineral buildup reducing the heat transfer.

If you want to get another truck, the only sub that is going to perform better is the diesel.

I am with the crowd that recommends you try and fix the cooling problem. If you want to stay with a domestic gasser at that price level, I don't think you will gain anything. The Nissan powertrain you have is hard to beat for $15k

Right, how hot is it getting?

Honestly if you like the vehicle then maybe some poking around on the nissan forums should be your first stop. I was amazed at the number of people towing 5th wheels with titans.

My boat is definitely lighter but coming up out of warm springs is no slouch on a hot day. Neither the trans or the engine temp gauge even budge. Not a single millimeter. (Titan) Not the best comparison between weight and altitude combined but I am able to hold 70 on that climb. Much faster than I need to with zero needle movement.

Another thing. Using an air compressor and high pressure nozzle, blow out the radiator from the fan side as good as you can. Take the shroud off if you have to. I got a full pound of dirt out of silverado one time.

The QX has idiot gauges so no numbers, but it will be rock solid at a tick "under half" or else it will be skyrocketing up to the red. I do know that the QX has limp mode from the first time it happened. :blush: Now I can see it happening, turn off the AC, back off the gas, turn on the hazzards and suffer through.

With the vride the QX was absolutely no prob. this only happens when the grade is steep enough that I need to kick down to 2nd and hold north of 4500 rpms for a sustained period. We'd hold 3rd no prob with the vride.

The radiator has been "flushed" whatever that means. Probably that they drained it and put new fluid in for all I know. The radiator shop was (surprise!) certain that a replacement radiator would fix the issue.

And I guess I should say that there is a bit of "new-to-me" car jones here too. The bump steer (c'mon titan/armada guys, you know what I'm talking about) is getting old, and we've had a really weird random wiggout of the stability control computer that will put ABS on full time. It has been reflashed, but that was against Nissan North America's advice... they told the dealer to just replace it, to the tune of $1,200.00. My love for the QX is definitely on the wane.

The QX has idiot gauges so no numbers, but it will be rock solid at a tick "under half" or else it will be skyrocketing up to the red. I do know that the QX has limp mode from the first time it happened. :blush: Now I can see it happening, turn off the AC, back off the gas, turn on the hazzards and suffer through.

With the vride the QX was absolutely no prob. this only happens when the grade is steep enough that I need to kick down to 2nd and hold north of 4500 rpms for a sustained period. We'd hold 3rd no prob with the vride.

The radiator has been "flushed" whatever that means. Probably that they drained it and put new fluid in for all I know. The radiator shop was (surprise!) certain that a replacement radiator would fix the issue.

Sure I get it. Still you could blow out the radiator and try it. No harm no foul on that one.

Diesel 7.3 and be super patient.... My friend found a crew cab 7.3 with 60 k. In fact my students just converted it to run on veggie. Your short trips are balanced by the fact that many days you ride you bike :)