Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Biggest baddest SUV tow vehicle for under $15k?

shawndoggy

How'd the knee hold up in the bailout??? I could've pictured you on the ground writhing in pain calling tow truck dude saying you're now waiting for an ambulance so could he just tow the Ex to the house!

I've got to stop and gas up along the way, and for any of you who have stopped to gas up in North San Juan, CA, you know that it's not a place you want to spend a lot of time in if you can avoid it.

Lol, on your way to Bullards Bar I take it? I was actually born and raised just up the road from NSJ. It's not such a bad place :) Drop a PM next time you go to Bullards I'll probably be out there.

• 9 months later...

so just a little update on the excursion.  I finally put the 6.0 tranny cooler in last weekend.  Ha, a "one our job" that took me the better part of all day and I definitely contributed some knuckle skin to the old beast too.  Towed with the Ex yesterday for the first time since the upgrade, and the results were pretty impressive.  Not only were tranny temps substantially lower (probably 25*), they also recovered much more quickly.  So where I'd be over 190 with the old cooler, now I'm hovering near 170, and temps easily drop 10-15* from there on any reasonably long descent.  With the 7.3 cooler once it was hot, it was hot.

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

so just a little update on the excursion.  I finally put the 6.0 tranny cooler in last weekend.  Ha, a "one our job" that took me the better part of all day and I definitely contributed some knuckle skin to the old beast too.  Towed with the Ex yesterday for the first time since the upgrade, and the results were pretty impressive.  Not only were tranny temps substantially lower (probably 25*), they also recovered much more quickly.  So where I'd be over 190 with the old cooler, now I'm hovering near 170, and temps easily drop 10-15* from there on any reasonably long descent.  With the 7.3 cooler once it was hot, it was hot.

did you put the new steering box in?

1 hour ago, Bozboat said:

did you put the new steering box in?

yes.  well... I didn't but I paid the shop $200 to do it.

It's much better but still not absolutely perfect... probably needs an alignment.  That said, when I first got the truck 55-60 was the max comfortable towing speed between the need to double correct (lack of rear sway bar) wallowing suspension and vague on center steering (2-3" of play before wheel did anything).  Now I can tow pretty comfortably at 70 with one hand on the wheel (and the T22 is light enough that I can pull 70 pretty well on the grades to and from the lake).

Hijack/looking for advice on the subject @shawndoggy

I replaced the steering dampener when I put shocks on my 2000 Excursion and it helped a little. I still have play in he steering wheel so I think I need to replace the steering box as well. I do a lot of correcting going down the road... Is there anything else I should consider before doing that? Rear swaybar? What brands should I look at?

We use the Excursion pretty exclusively for towing boat and travel trailer except for in the winter when we use it for ski trips. It rides rough already, especially when pumping up the airbags. Love the truck though!!!

Any advice/help is appreciated. 

Henrik

@henrik the single biggest and best steering upgrade I did was the addition of the rear sway bar.  It was also probably the least expensive and easiest.  I installed the helwig bar.  I think it was about $240 from amazon.  Took me about 3.5 hours (so figure less than an hour if you are a "real" mechanic).  huge huge difference.

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

@henrik the single biggest and best steering upgrade I did was the addition of the rear sway bar.  It was also probably the least expensive and easiest.  I installed the helwig bar.  I think it was about $240 from amazon.  Took me about 3.5 hours (so figure less than an hour if you are a "real" mechanic).  huge huge difference.

Thanks for quick reply. Start with the rear stabilizer then. I'm thinking a steering box is in my future since I have a lot if play. Are there alternatives to the redhead ones? I saw that's what you got and also what my mechanic mentioned.

Henrik

On 6/23/2016 at 10:41 AM, DAI said:

Would I need a WDH with this???

weight distribution hitch? definitely no. but a mullet? yes

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On June 5, 2013 at 5:28 PM, shawndoggy said:

I currently tow with an Infiniti QX56. My boat is 6500 on the trailer, plus gear (500ish?) and peeps in the vehicle. I feel confident I'm well within the 9900 lb manufacturer's tow rating.

You might be within the tow rating, but what about payload? Dirty secret in the truck/SUV industry is that you'll almost never get anywhere near the tow rating before you max out GVWR via payload.