Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast Pump Location 08 lsv

Brian Ferrell

Hi All,

Looking for the location for the front ballast pump. In the floor access next to the drivers seat as I face forward there are three pumps visible arranged in a triangle. Anyone know off hand which is which?

Thanks.

Brian,

Off hand I believe that the port side is the fill for the front ballast tank. The other two are center ones. Turn the center drain and fill on and off with your hand on the pumps and you will feel them vibrate while spinning. If you are looking for the drain for the front ballast is is located at the front of the walk through at floor level. If you pull up your cushions there are two screws (vertical) going through the top panel into the kick plate. Once these are removed you can pull the panel out to see the drain pump. Hope this helps.

They have a plastic impeller. It will not hurt them to run dry. I would not leave them running any longer than I had to, but they are not like the impeller for your fresh water pump.

Ok, I have another question. It turns out I do have a bad pump and need to replace it. I have purchased a malibu replacement pump but am having difficulty removing the old pump. It will turn with much force in a counterclockwise rotation however the entire cutoff valve is what is actually turning. I do see the top of the flange has a nut on top of it. Should I put a wrench on that to hold the cutoff valve in place and then twist the pump off? Sorry, I should have taken pics!

B

There is a blue ring with a screw and little plastic tab holding the ring from turning. Once you pull the screw out removing the retainer.... the blue ring should spin off and the cartridge pull out with a rubber gasket and ring attached. This is the piece you are trying to turn? And the bottom is still turning? If so you should be able to hold the housing and just turn the ring. Let me know if this helps.

• 1 year later...

This question is a year late but I have been trying to access the drain pump for the front ballast on my 08 247. I can't find any screws to remove and I've been digging around the carpet all over that panel. Can anyone give me specific location or take a photo of your boats panel screws? That panel is in there tight and won't budge.

Thanks anyone?

• 7 years later...
39 minutes ago, Joeboater83 said:

Looking for the port side drain pump location?

@Joeboater83 Thankfully that is an easy one to find. There is a small (roughly 6"x8") carpeted panel at the transom of the port storage locker near the engine divider. Should be four screws that are visible holding it on.