Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swim Platform Cover

doughickey

Have you thought about putting a piece of plywood over the platform?

I was gonna say that plywood wouldn't work because it would trap moisture between the plywood and the swimstep but....if you put six little "feet" on it that would actually work. For "feet" you could use 1/2" PVC pipe end-caps with the closed end against the plywood attached with a short screw. Make it slightly larger than the platform so it casts a shadow and viola'.... Cheers.gif ....OK, it was just an idea (maybe a silly one) but it was an idea. Oh, and if you do it, (1) make sure you seal/varnish the plywood so it doesn't just fall apart and (2) take pictures.

:)

Doug, I never heard of the adhesive patches for the black flies. If they work, let's import some down here and maybe we can make some money.

I don't know why you have rattlesnakes and we don't. No poisonous snakes in Maine. I thought it was because of the cold. Must be another reason.

• 2 weeks later...

To KENW and Skilslut: Thanks for your suggestions.

I took Scott's pictures to a couple of canvas shops, got some prices. Dropped off my swim platform today. I should get a firm quote by next week. They thought about $120 Cdn ( about $95 US).

Thanks again folks.

Assuming the price is reasonable, I'll post pix once it's done.

Knowing you folks is great.... but it keeps costing me $$$$!

Edited by doughickey

Wow.... these folks are fast in responding. Here's the email I got back within a couple of hours.

Hi Doug

Yes, we are starting to make a teak deck/swim platform cover. I'll have some pics soon to send. We are only using a light grey color (silver dust) on these, our fabric is mildew resistant and breathable, it is a nylon coated fabric & referred to as "pack cloth" in the textile industry. It is very durable and water resistant, the water beads right off, this is the same fabric we use on our speaker covers and it works great! The price I believe is $68.99 plus tax if in CA and shipping. Also this is secured by a elastic cord and cord lock and Velcro strap webbing, so you will be able to keep on while towing. We just recently had problems with our own teak deck (mildew) so we are going to start using a cover on ours too. Hope this info helps, let me know if you have any questions and I should have a photo to send by early next week. You can contact us by phone or email anytime.

Thank you

Sabrina Clark

MarineXtreme

www.screaminsacs.com

(916) 879-5209

Dan and Sabrina, at Screamin'sacs, are great. I just received my speaker covers and couldn't be happier. Not to mention that they got them to me in 3 days. Great people to do business with. Biggrin.gif

Edited by stusumm
  • 1 month later...

I've accidentally left mine on before if I just jump into the boat to take the family for a ride. I figured some water would grab the "pocket" part of the cover and rip it off as I took off.

But the 4 or 5 times that I have headed underway with it still hooked on, there appeared to be no harm done to it.

Tennis balls or other to create runoff sounds like a good idea, IMHO.

I'd probably try golf balls or ping-pong balls for two reasons. One; the fit of the cover appears to be pretty good (tight), I wouldn't want to stress the seams too much putting large objects under it. Two, I'd be afraid that the fuzz on the tennis balls would stay wet and cause mildew stains on the platform. Just a thought.

I'd probably try golf balls or ping-pong balls for two reasons. One; the fit of the cover appears to be pretty good (tight), I wouldn't want to stress the seams too much putting large objects under it. Two, I'd be afraid that the fuzz on the tennis balls would stay wet and cause mildew stains on the platform. Just a thought.

Great suggestion. It had our first rain tonight. Water just beaded up on it. (Hey, I forgot to put 303 on it.... I'll do that soon.) After it stopped raining... looked underneath.... dry as a bone.

Hmmm.... I haven't had to put the cover on yet with a wet platform.

Anyhow, I like the golf ball idea. Thanks!

How about a piece of a "noodle" for your pool cut in half?

The cover looks great.

Wow... another great idea. Cutting it lengthwise will let it sit flat on the platform... but give a bit of a crown for run-off.

I may start with the golf or ping pong balls until the cover stretches a bit... then progress to the half-noodle.

Thanks again guys.

I love this place!

You might think of having your canvas guy put a pocket or some straps to hold the noodle in place. Just a thought. It might make it easier to keep it in place.

You might think of having your canvas guy put a pocket or some straps to hold the noodle in place. Just a thought. It might make it easier to keep it in place.

Now that's using your noodle!

Once the cover stretches a bit.... good idea. Thanks.

Where/when/how do you think all these nifty ideas up?

Edited by doughickey

It's a curse.

I'm and engineer that use to be a mechanic, and I pitted for a race Jeep in sand drags.

We had to fab most of the Jeep back then.

Holy crap you've got too much time on your hands! Tongue.gif

...the fit of the cover appears to be pretty good (tight), I wouldn't want to stress the seams too much putting large objects under it.

I have this problem with my speedo... Whistling.gif

That's only because you used Sunsetter's idea and stuffed a noodle inside! Surprised.gif

Edited by doughickey