Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing speaker upgrade

Tyger

I finally got something I've wanted for a couple years: quality sound while surfing without deafening my passengers. Lakeside Audio added these babies to the back of the boat:

samsontowerspeaker.jpg

I haven't gotten many pics yet, but here's a quick view of what they look like:

429876_10151678667469636_1197546460_n.jp

The speaker is an Exile SXT-65Q, but the chrome version is branded Samson. They also added a fader knob so I can turn down the tower speakers (turning down the interior speakers is done with fader on the stereo). The Exile speaker mount integrates the audio connection so there's no wires and when the speakers are off the mounting posts fit very nicely under the boat cover. It's super slick:

clampbisect.png

I finally have great sound while surfing and the ability to turn down or even off the tower speakers and all the speakers inside the boat. Lakeside did a great job with the install and got the boat done in two days!

I opted not to get an equalizer, but I definitely see a WS-420 in my future. I'd like better control over the three zones and better equalization, plus, maybe most importantly, a volume knob instead of the buttons on the factory stereo. Also, the speakers are angled down when the boat is moving, so I'll probably make some kind of wedge mount for the posts at some point. However, it doesn't seem to affect the sound, so that's a future project

I have always turned off auto-volume, but with the new speaker setup, it's much more usable! I do wish Malibu would tweak it so that there's more of a curve toward higher RPMs, instead of linear. Also, they should not increase the volume in reverse.

I'll post more pics after we go out next time.

The one downside is that the surf rope tends to catch on the speaker as you tighten the rope.

Edited by Tyger

That's been a standard procedure for boats that did not have a tower and wanted directional and removable speakers when at rest. KingStarboard is used to make a contoured leveling block because it is soft enough to easily shape to correct for an angle or a soft radius.

David

attachicon.gifrsz_wp_20130601_008.jpgHere's a pic from the back.

How in the world do you keep from grabbing those with a ski/wakeboard rope when doing either of those activities?

Do you Remove them as soon as you are done surfing?

If so, are there caps/plugs to cover up the holes where the bracket and electrical connections would be exposed once the speaker is removed?

Just curious....

The one downside is that the surf rope tends to catch on the speaker as you tighten the rope.

How in the world do you keep from grabbing those with a ski/wakeboard rope when doing either of those activities?

Read last sentence. You don't. I think it's especially bad for surfing - boarding would not be a problem.

Do you Remove them as soon as you are done surfing?

If so, are there caps/plugs to cover up the holes where the bracket and electrical connections would be exposed once the speaker is removed?

Just curious....

We leave them on for an entire session - only remove to trailer. The boat cover goes over them, but going back and forth to storage they are just open holes. I would cover them if it would be out in the rain or something, but boat is kept in enclosed storage. Everything is stainless or copper and seems resistant to all but direct water blasts.

There is a way to mount tower speakers on top of the rear gunnel caps so that when the speakers are removed the speaker sockets are completely flush just like a typical light holder. But most use this to put the speakers in place once they reach a destination. And most use this method when they do not have a tower. But it sure does solve the problem of getting all that radiation in the boat.

David

I was catching my surf rope on my GoPro this weekend on my transom; I can only imagine how bad it is with those speakers sitting that high up.

I'm sure it sounds good and cool it doesn't blast out the boat occupants.

I was catching my surf rope on my GoPro this weekend on my transom; I can only imagine how bad it is with those speakers sitting that high up.

I'm sure it sounds good and cool it doesn't blast out the boat occupants.

thats how i lost my hero3 clipped the mount then popped off. did not have the float back door and broke the leash

thats how i lost my hero3 clipped the mount then popped off. did not have the float back door and broke the leash

I have a stainless steel coated tether, so I'm not too worried about losing it that way. I also have the floating door on most of the time when it is back there. Anything to not lose this damn camera!