Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sea c***(valve)

sgtsandbagger

My neighbor partially sunk his Tige because of a big leak in his intake cooling system. He said that if he had a "sea c***(valve)" he could have stopped the intake before the boat hit bottom. Luckily he was in shallow water next to his dock.

Does the Malibu come with a Sea c*** (valve)? If not is that an easily remedied problem??

I'm still used to outboards! :unsure: I guess we can't use "C" words. Almost like what the Air Force used to call a pilot's work station.

My neighbor partially sunk his Tige because of a big leak in his intake cooling system. He said that if he had a "sea c***(valve)" he could have stopped the intake before the boat hit bottom. Luckily he was in shallow water next to his dock.

Does the Malibu come with a Sea c*** (valve)? If not is that an easily remedied problem??

I'm still used to outboards! :unsure: I guess we can't use "C" words. Almost like what the Air Force used to call a pilot's work station.

I have an '04 Malibu and it has 4 (IIRC) seacocks. Three for ballast and one for cooling. I believe it is a USCG law now. (BICBW) All water or sea ports are to have positive valves for just that reason.

Pat

What year did Malibu start putting in the seacock valves in the boats? I know my '05 Rlxi has one but my old '00 VLX did not.

You could buy a standard ball valve (check your fittings for proper size) from any plumbing supply store. It's probably cheaper and is basically what you'll get from Malibu.

Just make sure that you get one that doesn't cut down on the flow. I forget what they're called, but basically there are 2 versions of the same valve usually available - 1 is standard & will cut down on water flow, while the other doesn't. On some boats, Malibu uses a bow tie handle instead of the lever type, I would assume that space issues are at play there, so that may be another thing to consider.

Pete, you'll most likely need a 1-1/4 female threaded ball valve. Depending on access, you could thread it onto your strainer. I did it on my '99 SLXI. IIRC i had to use a 90* fitting between them for clearance. I ordered what I needed from West Marine.com. My local WM did not have a 1-1/4' male to barb...

Pat

I installed a shut-off on my Sporty LX when I added the raw water intake strainer. That strainer stops a lot of gunk late in the season when the Eurasion Milfoil is thick. Make sure that you use a "Full Port" ball valve so as not to restrict the flow.

Oh yeah, I had to cut down the valve handle as it would have hit the starter...but other models might not be as cramped for space as my little Sporty.

Thanks everyone.

I picked up a couple of cheapo plastic valves at Orchard Supply but, once I got them home and looked inside the bore, I knew I wasn't gonna install them 'cause of the "real" inside diameter at the valve.

WakeGirl,

Here's some info about ball valves the third paragraph is what you be interested in.

NorthCalBu,

Those handles can be unscrew and re-position to the opposite side, would that helped?

Are these really needed other than in an emergency? I moor my Sporty. If it were to do any good, I should close it when the boat is on the mooring. I don't because I think there's a better chance of me forgetting to open it rather than a failure in the line. I wonder how often the main lines fail. The one in the Skier is 18 years old and that boat sits on a mooring also. Maybe that's something to put on the to do list.

I have an '04 Malibu and it has 4 (IIRC) seacocks. Three for ballast and one for cooling. I believe it is a USCG law now. (BICBW) All water or sea ports are to have positive valves for just that reason.

Pat

So wait a minute...

Are you telling me, if my boat is taking on water, one of the things I have to check is the main water in take on the engine? And there's a ball valve that I'll have to physically maneuver to the 'off' position?

And from what you guys say, there's more than one, because of the other intakes on the ballast systems that I may also have to turn off?

And what does having a 'positive' valve mean?

Pat

So wait a minute...

Are you telling me, if my boat is taking on water, one of the things I have to check is the main water in take on the engine? And there's a ball valve that I'll have to physically manuver to the 'off' position?

And from what you guys say, there's more than one, becuase of the other intakes on the ballast systems that I may also have to turn off?

A little help here would be appreciated.

...yes.

Look around under the Vdrive there should be 4 blue handled valves. One big one with a hose leading to the vdrive and the 3 others are scattered that have white ballast pumps attached to them. If you look under the boat there are brass fittings at each one. Malibu used "plug" holes for ballast intake but there is a big brass strainer for the engine intake.

So if I came upon my boat at a dock or something and it was taking on water I'd make sure it's tied off good, hit the bilge switch and then take my chances and carefully get in and find those valves. Although something would have to go really wrong like a ballast tank spring a leak or a hose pop off, or a hose break. The 1-1/4" water intake hose could stand up to a nucular (George Bush english Biggrin.gif ) bomb.

Pat

Anybody got a mfg. part number or source for the raw water intake valve? I'd like to install one in my boat.

Mine is :

Midland Metal

150 WSP

600 WOG

Thats what it sez on the yellow handle

On the brass body it sez:

DN20

PN40

5PSG

3/4"

Made in Italy

Thanks Ozzy, that's a good explanation.

Are these really needed other than in an emergency? I moor my Sporty. If it were to do any good, I should close it when the boat is on the mooring. I don't because I think there's a better chance of me forgetting to open it rather than a failure in the line. I wonder how often the main lines fail. The one in the Skier is 18 years old and that boat sits on a mooring also. Maybe that's something to put on the to do list.

I don't think that these are needed really for anything but an emergency (although those of us with self filling/draining ballast tanks may argue that point ;) ), but it's one of those things that is simple enough to add that it seems like a good idea. I've never changed an impeller on the water, but it seems like that alone would make it a good thing to add if you don't have one.

Definitely agree on the durability of the main intake line, that thing is a tough piece of work. If a line in the system is going to fail, I don't think it will be that one.