Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

waxing

I think i read somewhere in the manual that you should wax your boat every 3 months. I was just wondering how often yall wax your boats. I want to keep it lookin nice Biggrin.gif

I think i read somewhere in the manual that you should wax your boat every 3 months. I was just wondering how often yall wax your boats. I want to keep it lookin nice Biggrin.gif

My guess is here on the crew it's probably about every 3 days Biggrin.gifBiggrin.gif

But for me, I don't wax it enough...I usually give it a full detail beginning/end of season. during season, i probably due a full wax job 1-2 times and use quick spray wax for cleaning after each use.

I do a big detail at the end of the season so when I take her out in the spring all she needs is a once-over. She gets a wash after EVERY use and I use Eagle 1 spray wax. That stuff keeps her looking good throughout the season.

I do a big detail at the end of the season so when I take her out in the spring all she needs is a once-over. She gets a wash after EVERY use and I use Eagle 1 spray wax. That stuff keeps her looking good throughout the season.

eagle is great on the gelcoat, but make sure you dont get it on the vinyl or any rubber . not good for it!

eagle is great on the gelcoat, but make sure you dont get it on the vinyl or any rubber

Yeah. My vinyl and rubber gets 303 instead.

Here's what I do. Wax at the beginning of the season. After that, when I pull the boat from the water, I wipe it down with a clean towel and then go over it again with Babe's Boat Bright.

I have a bottle of distilled water and turtle wax, mixed watery enough to spray on the boat. I do a quick spray/wipe down every use. Probably why I got full price when I sold the last boat. :Doh:

Edited by LS-One
I have a bottle of distilled water and turtle wax, mixed watery enough to spray on the boat. I do a quick spray/wipe down every use. Probably why I got full price when I sold the last boat. :Doh:

LS -

We do the same thing, except we mix 1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar, then about a capful of liquid turtle wax in a spray bottle. The vinegar helps with the water spots - works like a charm! We have about 5 or 6 bottles ready, along with towels, so the kids and crew all help once it's on the trailer. We're done in about 5-10 minutes and the boat shines all season long. Give it a try.

- John

what type of wax do you usually use?

has anyone used 303 on the gelcoat or just the vinyl/rubber?

I know one person who uses the 303 on the gelcoat for wipe down. I think it's a big WOM.

I've gone different routes re water/vingear mixes and quick sprays. picked up some of babes on sale at the boat show. all the wax sprays work great but get expensive unless you get them on good sales.

247_pilot - The combo of water/vinegar/wax sounds pretty promising. How often do you need to do a full re-wax, if at all? We've got nasty water at the local ski pond, so anything that would help...

I follow a similar regiment. Full wax once a year. After each use, I do a quick two step process: once around with a viniger/water mix to take off the water spots, then once around again with a damp, clean towel and spray'n'wax. I thought about mixing the wax together with the viniger and water, but though the viniger might simply render the wax useless. I may have to rethink this one.

I also give the entire boat a good, soapy bath every three weeks or so.

LS -

We do the same thing, except we mix 1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar, then about a capful of liquid turtle wax in a spray bottle. The vinegar helps with the water spots - works like a charm! We have about 5 or 6 bottles ready, along with towels, so the kids and crew all help once it's on the trailer. We're done in about 5-10 minutes and the boat shines all season long. Give it a try.

- John

We don't need the vinegar up north, I know you use the Mojave / Mead lakes and yes you guys get that heavy mineral deposit, but it doesn't seem to happen up here.

A real wax about every two weeks (max), after every trip a wipe down with quick detailer since i have no need for vinegar to take off my wax, 303 over the interior and a quick vac to keep it looking good.

Chris

do you guys wax with a buffer or just use your hands and a applicator pad.

Edited by mali_vride

So i should just get a couple of applicator pads and some microfiber rags to do the job. Should i ever use a buffer/orbital to wax the boat?

Unless you want to polish or compound to remove scratches or surface residue (ie oxidation) there is no need for a oribital. If you keep the boat well waxed, you'll never get oxidation, and naturally you should never scratch you boat, ever. All I ever used on my response is hand waxing, and it looked brand new (literally) when I sold it last year.

Chris

Edited by 99response
I just started using the vinegar/water followed by Eagle wax as you dry. Awesome!!!

if you are going to use eagle, try it with out the vinegar....usually works for me at the local ski pond which leaves nasty mineral deposits almost instantly.

I'll give it a try.

Our water is really hard here and it takes work to keep the water spots from adding up. You guy's w/o this problem are lucky!

I'll give it a try.

Our water is really hard here and it takes work to keep the water spots from adding up. You guy's w/o this problem are lucky!

local lakes aren't too bad here, but the private pond I ski at is really nasty re: water spots, and at 100+ the spots get baked in instantly. just to re-iterate caution re: the vinyl/rubber. the eagle one has petroleum distillates (oilman rutat warned me & some others on it).

I use Meguiers boat wax and for the interior I use 3M vinyl cleaner. On my old 98 SPORTSTER I kept it super clean and got a great resale value out of it. hope to do the same with my VLX.

Sometimes I cant find enough time to wax the boat.