Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need help with trailer lighting

Faceplant409

For those with the 1" X15" LED option on an '05-'06 Extreme trailer I'd like to know the light patterns on the individual lights.

I think they are

3 LEDs (right, middle, left) for tail light

4 LEDs (far right or left) for turn

All LED's for brake

Is this correct? If not, what does yours do?

I am updating a portion of my trailer and I found a light that has these properties for far less $ than Extreme will sell theirs to me for.

I cannot use the ovals, I need the long, thin jobs... (+/- 1" X 15")

Thanks fellas!

Pat

Pat,

I have those LEDs on my new 247 trailer, but it's 45 miles away right now, getting a stereo install. I may have it by next weekend, and if so, and if no one else chimes in, I'll be happy to give you the scoop.

Come to think of it, you can call Tony at Extreme and I'm sure he'll give you the info. Their number is 951-682-5522 and I think Tony's extension is 19.

Good luck!

- John

Any Lamp will work on your trailer...it just requires the 12v from you vehicle. Go for the cheap one if you think it is good quality.

Which one are you looking at? I am going to do some work on my trailer this year while the boat is in the water and will probably upgrade to LEDs. Does your source have an internet site?

I'm actually adding stop, turn, tail lights to my guide posts. I've always been afraid of a rear-ender.

As for swapping to LED for the rest of the trailer Peterson Manufacturing is a great source. If you have the "grommet type" ovals (which is what 90% of our trailers have) there are all sorts sources. You can get a P/N and order it from any auto parts store. (I think you may have to be a dealer to buy their stuff online) But Google LED trailer lighting and you'll get 300 pgs....

The ovals are just too wide to add to guide posts as they are 2-1/4" and the post is just 2".

Pat

Edited by Faceplant409

Here are some issues that will limit your choice of lamps...

The DOT rates lamps for use on vehicles and trailers that are 80 inches and over

I have not measured my trailer but it seems that is about that width. In this case

you would need lamps that meet their standard.

The link that you provided has a good table with the specs required.

From what I would gather you need a light module that has DOT-C, SAE-P2 or SAE-P3 stamped on it

to meet the federal guidelines. You probably have to pay more for a module with a rated lense.

The LEDTrailerLights.com site has some useful info on the conversion and seems to have reasonable prices. They did not specify if the lamps met a certain spec but on the above link they mention that you might need to add reflectors if you convert to LED so they may not be rated.

Edited by MoonDawg
Here are some issues that will limit your choice of lamps...

The DOT rates lamps for use on vehicles and trailers that are 80 inches and over

I have not measured my trailer but it seems that is about that width. In this case

you would need lamps that meet their standard.

The link that you provided has a good table with the specs required.

I already have an LED package from Extreme on my trailer. I'm simply adding redundancy on the guide posts, not changing anything existing.

P

I already have an LED package from Extreme on my trailer. I'm simply adding redundancy on the guide posts, not changing anything existing.

P

I would think you are good to go then. You might get some complaints about having more than one working turn signal or brake lamp because it adds confusion. But as far as redundant side markers...you see big rigs with thousands of them.

In the rules for WA, they call out specific quantities of lights "2 or more brake lights" and "must be equipped with turn signals" (kind of vague here) so you should be OK in WA but who knows in a different state.

Edited by MoonDawg