Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter vs. Wakesetter

Jake

I need some help! I am looking for a 1998-2002 Sunsetter (LX or LXI). I have come across a 1999 Wakesetter. Is this basically the same boat as the Sunsetter? Are the hulls the same?

While I'm at it. Can someone tell me the difference between the Sunsetter, Sunsetter LX, and Sunsetter LXI (before the 2005 hull change). I know the LXI is longer.

Thanks,

Jake

The 1998-2001 sunsetter lx is on the same hull (wake) as the current i/v-ride and pre 2005 VLX. In 2002 the sunsetter lx changed into the direct drive wakesetter. The sunsetter LXi up until 2005 was on the diamond (ski) hull. Check this link out Hull Charts

The Sunsetter LXi will be 8" longer and it will be better for slalom skiing as it is on the diamond hull. The Sunsetter LX will be better for wakeboarding cause its on the wake hull. The LXi can be good, it just takes more weight.

Welcome to the site Jake.

Just to take it a little farther....

That hull dates back to 1995 & all of the following are the same basic boat:

Sunsetter (1995 & forward)

Sunsetter LX

Sunkicker

Wakesetter direct drive

I-Ride (current model)

Ski wakes between any of these boats & the Sunsetter LXI will be very similar above 32 mph, below that the LXI will stay smaller while the wake will begin to build more on the LX boats. Both make great crossover boats, you just need to decide which sport you lean toward. The LXI will do a little better on the storage side of things.

Ski wakes between any of these boats & the Sunsetter LXI will be very similar above 32 mph, below that the LXI will stay smaller while the wake will begin to build more on the LX boats.

Not sure I agree with the wake comment....of course, I'm biased, but I think the LXI wake is noticably better at 34mph...

That comment was coming from a wakeboarder, so take it with a grain of salt - everything above 32mph looks flat to me. :lol: One other thing to consider, wake quality changes with the prop - I've known several people with SLXIs that went from a SS CVP to an Acme & noticed a huge jump in the quality of the wake just on that alone.

That comment was coming from a wakeboarder, so take it with a grain of salt - everything above 32mph looks flat to me. :lol: One other thing to consider, wake quality changes with the prop - I've known several people with SLXIs that went from a SS CVP to an Acme & noticed a huge jump in the quality of the wake just on that alone.

And I'm still running that old SS CVP. Gusess it's time to get a new prop! :)Yes.gif

Only problem is reading through the long prop threads trying to decide which make and which size makes my brain hurt Crazy.gifFrustrated.gif

The diamond hull on the SLXi produces a much softer wake at 32-36mph than the non-diamond hull wake on the LX based on my experience. Additionally, the storage space (especially the trunk) is significantly larger and wayyyyy more user friendly on the SLXi.

If you ski more than you board, the SLXi is a better choice.

The diamond hull on the SLXi produces a much softer wake at 32-36mph than the non-diamond hull wake on the LX based on my experience. Additionally, the storage space (especially the trunk) is significantly larger and wayyyyy more user friendly on the SLXi.

If you ski more than you board, the SLXi is a better choice.

Ditto on what he said.

And I'm still running that old SS CVP. Gusess it's time to get a new prop! :)Yes.gif

Only problem is reading through the long prop threads trying to decide which make and which size makes my brain hurt Crazy.gifFrustrated.gif

Acme 13x12 will fix you right up. :)

How deep are you into the course? What speed? If you're skiing at 34mph, I personally feel the 13x11.5 ACME works better with the SLXi than the 13x12. My boat had a noticeably softer pull with the 13x12, plus PP had to work a lot harder to maintain the speed of the boat. 13x11.5 gave much smoother, more consistent pull.

Having skied the ACME and OJ XMP back to back on my SLXi, can tell you the OJ produces a softer wake at 34 and 36mph.

How deep are you into the course? What speed? If you're skiing at 34mph, I personally feel the 13x11.5 ACME works better with the SLXi than the 13x12. My boat had a noticeably softer pull with the 13x12, plus PP had to work a lot harder to maintain the speed of the boat. 13x11.5 gave much smoother, more consistent pull.

Having skied the ACME and OJ XMP back to back on my SLXi, can tell you the OJ produces a softer wake at 34 and 36mph.

See, i told ya'll my brain would hurt Tease2.gif

Edwin, I ski at 34mph. PB is 28off but hope to break through that early this summer. What line lengths did you do your compare at? Also, was it the 13x11.5 on both props for the compare?

thanks!

Edwin, I ski at 34mph. PB is 28off but hope to break through that early this summer. What line lengths did you do your compare at? Also, was it the 13x11.5 on both props for the compare?

thanks!

34mph at 15, 22, 28, and 32' off...

I've tested the ACME 13x11.5 and 13X12, as well as the OJ XMP 13x11.5 and 13x12. Wake quality differences between the various pitches was not noticeable, but was noticeable between brands.

check out http://skiertoskier.com/ for their input on the props.

thanks!

34mph at 15, 22, 28, and 32' off...

I've tested the ACME 13x11.5 and 13X12, as well as the OJ XMP 13x11.5 and 13x12. Wake quality differences between the various pitches was not noticeable, but was noticeable between brands.

check out http://skiertoskier.com/ for their input on the props.

Cool...thanks!

I've known several people with SLXIs that went from a SS CVP to an Acme & noticed a huge jump in the quality of the wake just on that alone.

Amen to that!

Edwin, you the prop God!!!

I know Carveitup went w/ the 11.5 Acme but IIRC wished he'd gone the 12" route. He's at a bit of elevation whereas we aren't maybe 150-200 feet here. I'm thinking of going w/ the 11.5 after talking to Max and Bill about it. The stainless CVP might be nice to have on at the lakes w/ all of the wood and then change over once it's gone.

That's right, I went with the 11.5. It's great here in central Oregon where we're typically at 3000' elevation (or higher). It might be a little under-propped for the low elevations but overall I'm very pleased with it.

I can't believe how much of a difference it made over the CVP. Our hole shot is much stronger, the wake at ski speeds is softer, and the boat is much more responsive to throttle changes. It did take some getting used to though...I have to be much more gradual on the start when pulling skiers and boarders up. Before I could just slam it to full throttle and wait for the prop to catch up. Now I have to feather it or people complain about too much pull.

Cheers,

Mike