Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake Test

DUKENO1

With all of the talk about break-in procedures I was just wondering if anyone knew how the boats are driven when they are given their lake tests? I received pictures of my lake test and it appeared that the driver was not just putt-putting around. Has anyone actually been there during their boats lake test? If so, how long are the boats ran and are the hour meters hooked up during the test? Just curious....I will be taking delivery very soon and will be breaking in a new Monsoon. I want to make sure that I do it right and that the boat runs strong for years to come!

With all of the talk about break-in procedures I was just wondering if anyone knew how the boats are driven when they are given their lake tests? I received pictures of my lake test and it appeared that the driver was not just putt-putting around. Has anyone actually been there during their boats lake test? If so, how long are the boats ran and are the hour meters hooked up during the test? Just curious....I will be taking delivery very soon and will be breaking in a new Monsoon. I want to make sure that I do it right and that the boat runs strong for years to come!

They're making sure that the rings get seated right. Surprised.gif My boat came through with 3/10 hours on it, so I guess that is from the test run.

They open them up and run them for the lake test. My suggestion is to follow the guidelines set forth by Indmar.

I was asking myself the same question... :unsure:

I did not see mine but I witnessed 'someones' when I was at the factory in '04. They did not exactly 'baby' it but they never went WOT.... (IMHO)

I would definately stick with Indmars break-in procedure. I would NOT be surprised if there was some kind of 'memory' in the computer that could be looked at in the event of warranty work. (engine failure) I'd hate to have to pony up for a new Monsoon because 'they' (Malibu, Indmar, or dealer) proved I beat the crap out of it too soon....

Pat

I was just speaking to my dealer and he said based on a conversation with indmar directly, that they want people to break them in like they will use them with two exceptions. First, no extended wot and secondly no continuous long term speed, until the rings are seated. They are wanting this because some people are not apparently getting the rings seated, which is a big problem.

Shocking.gifShocking.gifShocking.gif

I like the way you say:" beat the crap too soon out of it"(Faceplant409)... remind me never to buy a used boat from you. Tease.gif

Edited by 1FootDan

Wonder how many people would lose sleep if someone said they witnessed Malibu running the snot out of the boats during the water test?

Innocent.gif

we all know the book says to vary the rpm's, to some that could read....slow down...go fast...slow down...go fast.?

I think i only have 3 hours on mine, just puttering around, its very very hard not to go a certain speed for more that 30 seconds at a time,...at least for me.

I dont see why a few runs pulling a light boarder is going to hurt the moto? any thoughts??? we didnt do anything like this with our cobalt (volvo penta) and it ran great the entire life we had her. Its hard to have the restraint not to have a run behind the new bu. HELP!

I did not see mine but I witnessed 'someones' when I was at the factory in '04. They did not exactly 'baby' it but they never went WOT.... (IMHO)

I would definately stick with Indmars break-in procedure. I would NOT be surprised if there was some kind of 'memory' in the computer that could be looked at in the event of warranty work. (engine failure) I'd hate to have to pony up for a new Monsoon because 'they' (Malibu, Indmar, or dealer) proved I beat the crap out of it too soon....

Pat

Nope! trust me on that........ ROFL.gif

Some people stress over this stuff too much. Vary the speed a bit, change the oil per the guidelines, and be sure to let the thing warm up before you hammer it and it'll live long

No harm done pulling a boarder, especially if they fall frequently... go enjoy your boat

Having just done this on Tuesday, let me add my 2 cents.. Biggrin.gif

I have never been in a boat that was driven as well as these guys drove mine. The mechanics at Malibu are the best, and know everything about these boats.

I have had 5 boats thru-out my life, and to actually ride with someone who knew what they were doing (I thought I knew), knew exactly the boats limitations, and were not afraid to push it, was an expierience I will never forget. Doing a power slide at 30mph, is an awesome expierience!

Not that I am going to go out and do that , at least during breakin, (I am always so careful!!), but it is cool too know what the boat is capable of.

It was kinda like driving to Safeway with Dale Earnhart JR...

They drop the boat in the lake, and do about 10 passes. During each of these passes, they perform a different task, to ensure the boat is dialed in, and SAFE. These passes are performed at various speeds, and for a reason.

They do push the boat hard, and actually red line it once, because they have too. If it is going to break, they want it to happen there.They check every function of the boat, from adjusting the throttle cable, to testing the ballast tanks.

I asked the mechanic, and he told me that out of all the boats that Malibu has produced, and they lake test EVERY one, they have had 1 blown motor, and 5 blown trannys.

Pretty good odds, and just another reason to buy Malibu, and why I will never buy another boat.

The most important thing , is to change the oil frequently!

Definately follow the manufacturers breakin procedure. It is there for a reason.

Edited by jeffmx

I have never been in a boat that was driven as well as these guys drove mine. The mechanics at Malibu are the best, and know everything about these boats.

I have had 5 boats thru-out my life, and to actually ride with someone who knew what they were doing (I thought I knew), knew exactly the boats limitations, and were not afraid to push it, was an expierience I will never forget. Doing a power slide at 30mph, is an awesome expierience!

Not that I am going to go out and do that , at least during breakin, (I am always so careful!!), but it is cool too know what the boat is capable of.

They drop the boat in the lake, and do about 10 passes. During each of these passes, they perform a different task, to ensure the boat is dialed in, and SAFE. These passes are performed at various speeds, and for a reason.

They do push the boat hard, and actually red line it once, because they have too. If it is going to break, they want it to happen there.They check every function of the boat, from adjusting the throttle cable, to testing the ballast tanks.

I asked the mechanic, and he told me that out of all the boats that Malibu has produced, and they lake test EVERY one, they have had 1 blown motor, and 5 blown trannys.

Pretty good odds, and just another reason to buy Malibu, and why I will never buy another boat.

Definately follow the manufacturers breakin procedure. It is there for a reason.

What he said.

I swear threads like this come up a couple of times a year and everyone has their own opinion on whats best. Some hear right from the horses mouth to break it in like you drive it, others follow the manufactures rules...its your boat do whatever you want

Edited by jetskipro550
BTW, for those of you with HH383, those come broke in! So drive it like you stole it :)

You think they really come broken in or are they just built loose and don't need any special care?

Thanks! That is what I was looking for...info from someone that had seen or knew what went on during a lake test. I am not worried about breaking my motor in....just keep hearing different info....drive it like you stole it or baby it or follow the manual etc....

I was just wondering how the folks that should know the best (Malibu) went about putting the boat through it's initial paces. Sounds like you had a good time...I would have enjoyed that myself!

THANK YOU FOR THE ADVISE I PICK MY NEW RIDE UP 3-31

I'm in the drive it like you stole it camp. Load the sucker up and run it hard with varying RPM. Don't let it sit and idle for a long time when brand new either. Idle it long enough to warm it up, then flog the thing. :)

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I post that link every year around this time it seems. :)

How come that guy is covered in mud?

Boats usually come from the factory with 0.2 hours on them, then the dealer does his water test prior to delivery. A customer should expect anywhere from 0.3 to 0.5 hours on thier new boat, assuming it wasn't demoed or anything like that.

As for how hard to run it, i promise the guys at malibu and the dealerships would make alot of you guys holding your indmar manuals cry. I'd say vary rpms, don't hold it wide open for too long, and enjoy the boat. PCM has the same engines as indmar and has a completly opposite break in procedure, that is warm it up and run it wide open, first run out.

Chris