Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spare ign key

D-GOOSE

I have my BU in the shop for some warranty and wanted an extra set of keys. I was told that Malibu did not sell blanks and I would have to buy a new ignition switch assy Mad.gif . I think a lock smith could make me a set but I really wanted the keys to say Malibu Cry.gif. Has any one else heard of this? I think he had mentioned that there was only like 6 different keys :unsure:

You might be able to get a better looking key from a locksmith. The 2004 key is a little goofy IMO. (Not sure if Malibu's changed it since.) It's got "Malibu Boats" written in cursive with a fruity little 'swish' underlining. If I needed an extra key, I'd find something a little cooler... maybe a skull or a petrified monkey hand.

I had a lock smith make extra keys. That's no problem but, they don't say Malibu. My dealer did not have extras either. My Sporstster key works in the Skier but, the Skier key does not work in the Sportster.

I have my BU in the shop for some warranty and wanted an extra set of keys. I was told that Malibu did not sell blanks and I would have to buy a new ignition switch assy Mad.gif . I think a lock smith could make me a set but I really wanted the keys to say Malibu Cry.gif. Has any one else heard of this? I think he had mentioned that there was only like 6 different keys :unsure:

Dude...it's a key not a fashion statement Crazy.gif Local Ace Hardware, 2 bucks...done...

Dude...it's a key not a fashion statement Crazy.gif Local Ace Hardware, 2 bucks...done...

Fingerwag.gif Thats like saying ITS JUST A MALIBU

I know the first thing I notice when I'm looking at a boat is the key. How much it "blings". I prefer the polished stainless / chromed keys. Forget polished towers, spotless interior, a gelcoat so shiny that you can see yourself in, or any other stainless items ie. cupholders.......... I believe that having a cool looking key makes or breaks a boats appearance. (all sarcasm) Biggrin.gif

I know the first thing I notice when I'm looking at a boat is the key. How much it "blings". I prefer the polished stainless / chromed keys. Forget polished towers, spotless interior, a gelcoat so shiny that you can see yourself in, or any other stainless items ie. cupholders.......... I believe that having a cool looking key makes or breaks a boats appearance. (all sarcasm) Biggrin.gif

And to think I was giving some consideration to dumping the whole keyed ignition altogether.....think of the fashion faux pas I almost made..... Shocking.gif

And to think I was giving some consideration to dumping the whole keyed ignition altogether.....think of the fashion faux pas I almost made..... Shocking.gif

That's why Nautiques will always be a second rate boat with their keyless (blingless) ignition....oh, did I just say that. Uh, I think I just opened a can of worms.

That's why Nautiques will always be a second rate boat with their keyless (blingless) ignition....oh, did I just say that. Uh, I think I just opened a can of worms.

Exactly.

You might be able to get a better looking key from a locksmith. The 2004 key is a little goofy IMO. (Not sure if Malibu's changed it since.) It's got "Malibu Boats" written in cursive with a fruity little 'swish' underlining. If I needed an extra key, I'd find something a little cooler... maybe a skull or a petrified monkey hand.

:lol:

Just as a back up for you, Craftsmen tool box keys fits my response. I got the boat hooked up one day, went through the checklist and found no key. In desperation to make it to the water I gave it a shot, it works!! Slides in smooth like butta'

Oh man,

I better gid rid of my Matco triple bank roll away and buy my old crafty boxes back. Biggrin.gif

Edited by Pistol Pete

Why buy a $1.00 Key from Home Depot when you can get a smart key from one of the big 3 with a fancy key fob in excess of $150. Crazy.gif

Actually this site saved me big bucks the day I went boarding with the keys to the tow vehicle in my pocket. Cry.gif It turned a $150 dollar problem into a $50 dollar problem.