Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Installing Relay's

Polock

I'm installing two Jabsco Ballast Puppy's and its been reccommended to me that I use a relay on the power so that the switch doesn't fry. I went by Napa and picked up a couple of these, but I can't figure out how to wire them. They are probably the wrong thing for what I need so if anyone can point me in the right direction. The pumps draw 20 amps.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLM...tor+Valve+Relay

86 is to ground, 30 is power out to what you are supplying to(pumps), 87 is 12V constant from the battery or ignition source. This is the side the c/b would go on from the battery if you are worried about the 20 amp overdraw. 85 would be to a switch to actually turn on and off the pumps. Good luck. It is really simple. Look on the side of the relay also. There is a small schematic if you can read them. But the instructions I gave will work.

Pat is correct.

That relay looks exactly the same as the ones I use from Radio Shack. They are rated for 20 amps. You're gonna want to install an in-line fuse between the battery and the relay, just to be safe.

I'm installing a ballast system with three Jabsco pumps. I have been told different stories about using relays. The manufacturer of the switches for the Jabsco pumps says the switches are high current 20 amp switches designed for direct wiring and they will not burn up. Others have told me different. I'm not sure which way I am going to wire it yet, but it seems easier to run a couple runs of 4-6 guage wire to blocks under the dash and 10-12 guage wire to the pumps than running multiple runs of light guage wire to six relays to the switches. (in your case 4 relays) I think I would rather replace a switch every couple years if need be rather than the wiring nightmare and possible problems from adding extra electrical components. I have not made up my mind yet, but from past experience having relays can really add frustration to diagnosing problems if there is ever a system failure.

The ballast puppy comes with a heavy duty switch and wiring harness for it.

I beleive in using relays as well but there is no need in this application.

I have used mine for 3 years and have had zero problems.

I used 30 amp relays on my simmers. I hooked mine up to where the trigure is a negative to activate the relays. That way is something goes wrong nothing will short out. But the relays are the only way to go.

here is the 30 amp one http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=330-070

here is the 40 amp one http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=330-077

here is a easy way to hook them up http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=330-075

later

LT

Edited by lake texoma

I ordered some MLS switches from Malibu so I was planning on installing the relay's.

Now, since the pumps are reversible, that means I need 4 relay's??? I was planning on running two but that makes sense since in either position power is going through the different wire. I think that I will take these back and order the ones that LT used..... This project is getting expensive. Thanks Again!!!

I ordered some MLS switches from Malibu so I was planning on installing the relay's.

Now, since the pumps are reversible, that means I need 4 relay's??? I was planning on running two but that makes sense since in either position power is going through the different wire. I think that I will take these back and order the ones that LT used..... This project is getting expensive. Thanks Again!!!

I think (& someone correct me if I'm wrong here) that unless you could isolate the relays, you would need 4 - 1 for each circuit.

yeah that is the peak that the relay can flow. Its better to put a 40 on if you are running 30 than a 30 for a 30 amp load. That way if you have a spike in amps it will not hurt the relay.

Later

LT