Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Restoring 91 Malibu Skier - Need Help

Brett

I am restoring my 91 Skier and have had no luck with local boat companies. Does anyone have any suggestion on websites for carpet, plywood, gelcoating, cool accesorries, stereos.

Thanks!!

I've rebuilt my observer's seat using PT balisters for framing and exterior grade plywood. I've also replaced the floor hatch. I used glue and ss hardwear. I then gave everything 3 coats of fiberglass resin. That was 10 years ago and I've had no problems. Use the old parts as templates. Carpet comes from a marine store. Discount Inboard Marine is an excellent source for parts and tech info as well.

correctcraftfan.com is my favorite site for older inboards. I've contributed resource stuff there and occationaly go on their forums looking for info but, they are into CCs so I don't tell them I have a bu.

Welcome to the site.

Edited by 88Skier

If you want the plywood that you put into the boat to last forever...coat it with Gluvit Epoxy Sealer. I made a front casting deck for a buddy's 14' aluminum fishing boat 12 years ago and the plywood that I used is still in perfect condition. The boat is used very frequently and is stored outdoors, uncovered. I coated the deck completely with Gluvit and then painted it and added a non-skid but you could just as easily carpet over the gluvit.

If you are trying to match the gelcoat colors you can contact Jorge Martinez at the Malibu factory [email protected] Give the year, make, model and Hull ID # and he will give you a contact name and number for the company that manufacturered the original colors for your boat. I did this to get the gel coat to repair some scrapes in the lower portion of the hull from the previous owner.

If you are rebuilding seat bases I would go with the HDPE plastic sheeting used in the newer boats. It typically comes in 4ft x 8ft sheets 1/2 or 3/4 in thick. One brand name is Star-Board plastic. Look in the yellow pages under plastic, here in San Antonio there are at least 8 places that carry the plastic sheets.

Jgutzy