Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Minimum lake length????

smooth as glass

Finally got a line on a possible site after 5 years. Estimated length now at 1600. Is that absolute minimum?? May have the option of dredging larger but I'm just so excited at the moment need confirmation on bare minumum please.... Yahoo.gif

Here is a link to course dimensions.

http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/divisions...Comp.Sldim.html

Basically you need 1180 feet for the course including 55m pre gates. That doesn't include room for boat set up. That leaves you around 210' on either side of the course to set up. Figuring a SLXi needs apx 180' to get up to 36 that makes things pretty tight. If I recall correctly, the private lake we have our course on has around 1800' in a straight line. It is not a "square" ski lake and we have what equates to a turn around island off to the side on one end and have to make a 90 degree left turn before turnign back into the course to avoid running into the dam on the other.

I had a course on a small private "pond" a few years ago that was roughly 1600 feet long. My poor wife had a heck of a time getting our old MC up to 36 MPH coming out of the turn, or after changing rope lengths. BUT it worked!!

Just lookin to get a rise out of the wakeboard crowd. My son cant wait to have smooth water to throw his big tricks as well. And the rest of the crowd round here.

Is this a man-made site? If not, it's not likely deep enough to build a wake for your son to throw the big stuff off of. We tried wakesurfing at Bennett's a couple years back. We couldn't get a consistent wake. Too shallow.

There are a couple of options to make it work for a slalom course. You could use a 4 bouy course instead of a six....not the best option but it would work. You could also install an 8 bouy course (ski the last six balls). It would take a little more setup and istallation but that would be my first choice......... :)

Smooth as glass,

How'd you find the lake?

I'd love to come help test it out :) (Just down in Charleston)

Let me know :)

JZ

Been looking at it for years, finally got to right people, I hope. You're welcome up here anytime, and Dale is ready to ride down there if hes not kiting. buzz him 995-3253

There are a couple of options to make it work for a slalom course. You could use a 4 bouy course instead of a six....not the best option but it would work. You could also install an 8 bouy course (ski the last six balls). It would take a little more setup and istallation but that would be my first choice......... :)

What????is an 8 bouy course or am I missing some humor?please somebody splain!

What????is an 8 bouy course or am I missing some humor?please somebody splain!

just a guess, you ski the course from each direction and the last 6 balls gives you more setup time.

Edited by Cervelo

Smooth as glass,

How'd you find the lake?

I'd love to come help test it out :) (Just down in Charleston)

Let me know :)

JZ

Been looking at it for years, finally got to right people, I hope. You're welcome up here anytime, and Dale is ready to ride down there if hes not kiting. buzz him 995-3253

Oh, Mike, is that you? When did you change the screen name? BTW, does Dale do photography at CofC? His name came up in a conversation the other day...

I'll definitely give him a call sometime. May we can do an in-kind trade :) Some kiting for some boarding ;)

JZ

That 'd be him. Hes the mgr of classic photos. I'm sure theres a deal to be made. Same screen name as always I think.

from each end the last two turn balls dont have boat guides and exit gates, (the pre gates will do). just a 4 ball course with two extra balls out the ends.. just watch 5 ball on your pull out ;)

• 2 weeks later...

i too am looking at possible sites using the awesome google earth.

one i am looking at is 1800ft or 550m long and pretty wide.

taking into account the course length, with pre gates i have about 80m (to be safe, prob be a bit more) at each end which equates to about 270ft. according to waterski mag, it takes an RLXi with monsoon 139.5 ft ( :lol: ) to get up to 36mph. throw a skier into that and i would say 1800ft is comfortable.

at 1600 using my complicated equations ( Crazy.gif ) 170ft, you still could ski it, but your skier will want to hang on! Shocking.gif

that is only if its in a straight line, if you can drop around the pre gates and spin it shouldnt be a problem. Yahoo.gif