Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Long Boards

88Skier

I'm interested to know if anyone has ever skied one of these and how they thought it was for cruising around the lake at 25-40 mph.

I'm interested to know if anyone has ever skied one of these and how they thought it was for cruising around the lake at 25-40 mph.

I got a chance to ride one in the ocean off Seal Beach. It was blowing 15kts with 2-3ft chop just starting to white cap. I was much happier on the ski than the people riding in the boat... Biggrin.gif

I see they still sell them on the Maha site. The square tail makes it fun off the lip. Instead of plowing through like you would on the slalom ski you come off the top and catch some air. Just need to watch the tip when you land Surprised.gif

Like the ad says: " You get big air at 50 mph"

Edited by MoonDawg

I got a chance to ride one in the ocean off Seal Beach. It was blowing 15kts with 2-3ft chop just starting to white cap. I was much happier on the ski than the people riding in the boat... Biggrin.gif

I see they still sell them on the Maha site. The square tail makes it fun off the lip. Instead of plowing through like you would on the slalom ski you come off the top and catch some air. Just need to watch the tip when you land Surprised.gif

Like the ad says: " You get big air at 50 mph"

Looking at the pictures of ski racing, you know its a fast ride when the people in the boat are wearing helmuts and life jackets.

I'm thinking that it may be a good ski to do marathon runs on. Long cruises on choppy afternoons. With all the different water sports on TMC, I'm surprised no one has one. Would you buy one?

Jack, give yourself a couple of years. Tongue.gif

I don't think that I would buy a new one...at $1500 I could buy a lot of beer and have just as much fun Biggrin.gif

If a used one were to appear on eBay I might be pretty tempted to bid on it if it was in the $300 range. Heck just for conversation purposes having it hang on the wall at the ski shack would be worth it.

I think if you were to find an old wood ski around 72+ inches long and cut the back off square you might have just as much fun on a lake. 87 inches is pretty long for the chop we get on my small lake. Havasu would be a different story.

The friends ski that I borrowed was a ski racer. He skied from Long Beach Harbor to Catalina Island and back on that ski at 50+ miles an hour... that is a double marathon. I can barely ski 2 miles without getting tired.

I don't think that I would buy a new one...at $1500 I could buy a lot of beer and have just as much fun Biggrin.gif

If a used one were to appear on eBay I might be pretty tempted to bid on it if it was in the $300 range. Heck just for conversation purposes having it hang on the wall at the ski shack would be worth it.

I think if you were to find an old wood ski around 72+ inches long and cut the back off square you might have just as much fun on a lake. 87 inches is pretty long for the chop we get on my small lake. Havasu would be a different story.

The friends ski that I borrowed was a ski racer. He skied from Long Beach Harbor to Catalina Island and back on that ski at 50+ miles an hour... that is a double marathon. I can barely ski 2 miles without getting tired.

They are pricey. Did you find that you could stand up on it longer with much less effort than a regular ski?

They are pricey. Did you find that you could stand up on it longer with much less effort than a regular ski?

Yes the ski is a lot more stable than my slalom ski. You can cruise flat on this ski. If I tried that on my slalom ski it would start to wobble. My slalom needs to continually be on an edge.

I'm thinking that it may be a good ski to do marathon runs on. Long cruises on choppy afternoons. With all the different water sports on TMC, I'm surprised no one has one. Would you buy one?

I don't think I'll buy one. But you bring up an interesting idea--training on a bigger ski for the ride and endurance? Hhhmmm. . .

Is that a dare? I'LL DO IT!!! :)

Or you could bring your new ski over here for a test and I could pull you around my lake 8 or 10 times. Tease.gif

Is that a dare? I'LL DO IT!!! :)

Or you could bring your new ski over here for a test and I could pull you around my lake 8 or 10 times. Tease.gif

$1,460 for the ski and $138 for a 500' ski line and handle. Maybe I can get Bob Maher to sponsor me if I promote his products.

I wonder how many jet skis and boats would cut between the skier and boat when your towing someone 500' back?

$1,460 for the ski and $138 for a 500' ski line and handle.

HOLY BREAK THE BANK, Batman.gif I think I'll stick to cycling, etc. As for the 500' line, I'm not sure I could even pick out which boat was towing me at that distance. . . Crazy.gif

When they advertise "Big Air" and a 500ft line It kind of makes you think twice about that activity. Biggrin.gif