Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX vs. LSV

scott51580

I am looking at trading my 2004 23xti in on either a VLX or LSV. I am really wanting to now if the v-drive and power wedge will make a big difference from my xti? When I bought my xti, I was riding a stick as much as I was riding a board, but now all we do is wakeboard and surf. Can you surf behind either of these boats without having to have 10 people in the boat? Is the difference between my xti and either of these boats going to be enough to justify buying a new boat? Thanks for any help!

How soon are you thinking about trading? You could always wait until June and try them both out, or do the dealer demo thing.

Both of these boats will be very different from the XTI. The V-Drive will be able to build a wake better just because of the rear weight with everything else being equal (ballast, people etc.). The biggest difference will be the seating arrangement on the V-Drives.

Ronnie and RiverRunner,

How much weight do you typically have to have in your boats to create a decent surf wake (Ballast, People)?

Thanks

Scott,

You can expect to have to weight the LSV a bit more to achieve the same thing as a VLX - not appreciably, but a bit. Both will be better surfing machines out of the gate compared with your XTI (stock ballast for stock ballast). In theory you could get the same results with your boat, but you'd have to deal with bags on the floor & probably lead in hidden areas as well.

For the VLX (& I've posted this before, hopefully it won't grow old or tiresome), this is our surf wake with wedge, stock ballast all full (except for the off side), with 4 average sized adults & a 750 lb bag in the locker on the side we're surfing. It was almost too big for myself & our son, we had to be way, way back on the board & stay back on the wave to keep from running into the back of the boat. I need to get a much smaller board for us smaller people to ride.

post-1-1142901210_thumb.jpg

The hull on my sunsetter is pretty much the same as your 04 XTI and we can't really surf behind it, it just doesn't kick it up enough. It's fine for wakeboarding though.

I only have experience behind an 04 VLX and Troy's LSV (I think it's an 04 also), and both were pretty easy to get into surf wake shape. I'm a pretty big person (6-1 / 215) and I could ride behind Troy's LSV on the surf board for 5 or 6 minutes without falling behind. I can't even get going behind my Sunsetter.

I've posted this before, hopefully it won't grow old or tiresome...

Tracie, I've got to say that I never get tired of looking at scenery like that! I would love to be close enough to make a boating trip in that kind of surrounding. Not that I don't enjoy living on my little lake, but that is just beautiful. Thumbup.gif

P.S. - Nice looking son, too. That look on his face is priceless!

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier
Ronnie and RiverRunner,

How much weight do you typically have to have in your boats to create a decent surf wake (Ballast, People)?

Thanks

The Latest setup is 750lb sac plus the 200lb hard tank in the rear locker, mid ballast and front ballast, if we don't have a big crew 400 to 750lb. in the back seat and around 400lb in the playpen

Our normal setup is:

Bow

Mid

Rear hard tank on the surf side

One 550 sac in the locker on the surf side

Wedge

4-6 people.

Sometimes the SLING if we have enough people

To make it BIG:

Same setup as above but sub 4-6 peope with 14 people.

This is all the weight I have ever put in the LSV. The wake never fails to be surfable. With just 4 people, you really need another sac.

post-5-1142964888_thumb.jpg

Scott,

You can expect to have to weight the LSV a bit more to achieve the same thing as a VLX - not appreciably, but a bit. Both will be better surfing machines out of the gate compared with your XTI (stock ballast for stock ballast). In theory you could get the same results with your boat, but you'd have to deal with bags on the floor & probably lead in hidden areas as well.

For the VLX (& I've posted this before, hopefully it won't grow old or tiresome), this is our surf wake with wedge, stock ballast all full (except for the off side), with 4 average sized adults & a 750 lb bag in the locker on the side we're surfing. It was almost too big for myself & our son, we had to be way, way back on the board & stay back on the wave to keep from running into the back of the boat. I need to get a much smaller board for us smaller people to ride.

Tracie,

I keep coming back to this shot...thinking 'This is my new surf wake' Yahoo.gifYahoo.gif

Dave :)

Opps, I don't know how to add the photo of Kelly Slater on the VLX

Edited by SURFRAY