Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

24 MXZ surf set up?

absken

OK, I know this might have been beat to death before. I just want to make sure im going down the right road.

The surft set-up that Im planning on running is:

All stock ballast (rear, mid, front) plus 2 rear 900lbs bags.

The question is, will this work, and should there be some additional wight up front?

Yes the boat has Surfgate.

Yes the boat has a power wedge.

Thanks for your input everyone.

I would say, definitely will need weight in the front as the wider pickle fork bow will make it want to rise even more than the traditional bow. The weight in the front should also elongate the wake, giving the ability to surf farther back. What engine and prop are you running? Let us know what the results are, with pics if possible. Have fun!

Thanks for the input, im not too sure what the stock front ballast is for weight, but adding more wont be too much of an issue. As for engine, got the big boy, LSA 550hp hooked up to a ACME 5 blade. Hasn't hit the water yet as boat is beling delivered this week.

Will get lots of photos for sure.

I would say, definitely will need weight in the front as the wider pickle fork bow will make it want to rise even more than the traditional bow. The weight in the front should also elongate the wake, giving the ability to surf farther back. What engine and prop are you running? Let us know what the results are, with pics if possible. Have fun!

I am not sure anyone figured out the best setup for 24 MXZ yet.

You will probably find this review helpful:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40841-24-mxz-review/

Question is do you want a surfable wave or a monster wave? For the latter you will be looking at a lot of weight as that boat is super floaty and will take a lot to sink.

just out of curiosity, why run the 5 blade with the LSA?

The 5 blade will lower the RPM and and have better responce. Yes I will lose a little at the top end, but the lower end performance will be worth it.

It also handles better at lower sppeds and backing up. Hard to discribe the difference, but it feels and sounds different. Cleans up the surf wake really well.

Better fuel burn is a small bonus as well.

I think the 900's are the way to go. you can fill them all the way and the fit nicely into everything. Yes you do lose the rear storage buckets.

• 3 weeks later...

I had mine out for the first time with plug n play bags hooked up. I have 1100's in the rear but they cant fill completely. I would guess approximately fills 900 or so. You definitely need weight in the front. I had 2 people on one trip and a 400 bag on a second run. This made the world of difference vs nothing upfront. Also I still slightly had more movable weight (passengers) on the side of the rider for best performance with wedge two clicks up from all the down.

• 2 weeks later...

I put my 900's in my friends 24MXZ and we could NOT fill them 100% even with the rear coolers removed. I'd guess they were 750-800lb full.

Edited by ADDICTED2WAKE

I put my 900's in my friends 24MXZ and we could NOT fill them 100% even with the rear coolers removed. I'd guess they were 750-800lb

were these Sumo sacs? Would 750's be a better choice?

• 2 weeks later...

add 4-500 pounds in front and you will be set. I have a 400 fly high that I put in bow. Haven't played with less or more but love my wave now. I just change speed and wedge angle based on people and outside weight (coolers etc) in boat

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I had my 24mxz out with 900 pnp and could not go rope less. I am a beginner surfer with a blue lake inland surfer. I am 6'6" 240 lbs. Is it that my board is too small or the wave is not big enough? I have been able to go rope less on bigger boards on other boats. <br /><br />Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

We've been able to surf with just factory ballast plus 750s in the rear (3 ppl in the boat). How big is your board? I'm 230 and have a 60" cwb razr. However last week we went out with 750s in the rear lockers, full MLS, 1100 in front of the rear seat, 450 just behind the bow, 900 in the bow (slightly biased to starboard). 11.4 ish. Wave was unreal. Managed to get my first 3 and my buddy got his first air. This boat is capable of crazy surf wakes.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new 24 and cant fill front bow up at all without flatting the wave? I run 2 550's in rear locker with rear tanks full and center full. Wave pulls great, but just cant get it long?

Also have put 2 more smaller bags (Maybe 250 to 300) in seats because putting them in floor flattened out wave again? Any suggestions? Thx!