Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Parking the 'bu

SacRiverRat

With a hard bottom (no comments, guys) it's going to be weight more than anything that holds you in place. I like the "Navy" style anchors for hard bottom lakes as they are heavier but with smaller overall dimensions. Be sure to use 6-10' of chain (rode) directly above the anchor and then braided line from there. If you need to keep the boat from swinging get a second anchor, chain, & line set-up and after you get the front anchor set, toss the second anchor off the back of the boat (as far as you can) let the anchor settle, then take up the slack and tie off to the stern eye.

Edited by NorCaliBu
I use the Shore Spike made by Slide Anchor.  It's a little pricey, but it works great and is very durable. http://www.slideanchor.com

Very cool, we usually use a rock.

I like the one in the white bikini. :)

I've seen these before and nver knew the name of it. They seem to work well, especially on hard pack.

And YES, definitley White. Biggrin.gif

Thanks again guys - I think I'll focus on the white one, since as a mooring expert, she should be able to help consult me on my options Biggrin.gif

... besides, what do you do with your extra anchor line?   Dontknow.gif

I run a 50' piece of 1/2" braid in parallel to the anchor buddy (as a safety in case the anchor buddy broke).

I'm confused Dontknow.gif Do you have two ropes one with the buddy and one without?

I run one rope from the anchor rode to the boat. I have a loop in it part way up and I attach the anchor buddy to it and the anchor rode. This allows the anchor buddy to pull the boat in, but still be secure if it breaks.

That is actually in the instructions for the anchor buddy as well. The anchor buddies are for temporary mooring.

I have some dock buddies and they have actually come apart.

Can't you just pull up on shore? I am new to boating but have gone quite a few times with friends who had large off shore style boats and they would just pull in slow until the hull makes contact then give it some throttle to stick on shore and it is parked. I just figured that is how you do it? KC

Can't you just pull up on shore? I am new to boating but have gone quite a few times with friends who had large off shore style boats and they would just pull in slow until the hull makes contact then give it some throttle to stick on shore and it is parked. I just figured that is how you do it? KC

You could................

You could................

....if its temporary, but not if you are parking it overnight. Imagine waking up in the morning only to find that the water level dropped 5 feet overnight and your boat is now "dry docked". Explain that to the CFO.

Anchor buddy!  Stern in, pull youself in with stern line, attach the shorline to ski hook on transom.  When finished unloading, let the boat spring out and attach the end of the shoreline to tow hook

I do the same thing. I don't like to bring her in to close. Waist deep, I also like michaels idea of two lines for night time.

I then climb on board and move to the bow (with the stern line still in hand) I disconnect the bow line (carbiner) and clip the bow line to the end loop of the stern line.

When we return, I just go to the mooring bouy.  Both lines are there. 

I've used the anchor buddy and stern line to shore, but haven't connected them together while I'm out. Definitely like the idea!

Only one concern: Wally not seeing the stern line out in the water and wrapping it around his prop....

I then climb on board and move to the bow (with the stern line still in hand) I disconnect the bow line (carbiner) and clip the bow line to the end loop of the stern line.

When we return, I just go to the mooring bouy.  Both lines are there. 

I've used the anchor buddy and stern line to shore, but haven't connected them together while I'm out. Definitely like the idea!

Only one concern: Wally not seeing the stern line out in the water and wrapping it around his prop....

He would have to drive between the shore and your anchor bouy (which only goes out as far as the shore line.. if he does that - he was clearly in the wrong place

Plus, having it attached to the shore keeps it from drifting all over the place

I use fence post for $2 and a hammer or maul to drive it in. If you use one long rope from anchor buddy to shore and put buoys where you attach the rope to the front and rear of the boat. The rear buoy will be where you left it and no one has to get wet to retrieve the buoy or hold the boat will the rope is retrieved.