Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Parking the 'bu

SacRiverRat

I know this topic has been covered before - would like to hear from you guys as to your preference for shore mooring:

-Bow in towards the shore or stern in

-How do you get on/off the boat without the hull (or rudder/prop) banging into rocks

-if you back in, how do you pick up your anchor line (or float) and tie up (assuming you left your anchor/shore line behind for a run..

Looking for suggestions and discussion as to pros/cons. I have a couple danforth anchors and rode - also have anchor buddy, and ususally use an auger on the shore if there isn't an existing tree or big rock.

Rear end to shore so the swim platform is closest.

Anchor off the front with a float holding the rope (bright color), and a line to shore off the rear.

I keep the rear end in at least waist deep water.

I get the heebee geebees whenever she is near the shore. Where we go, luckily the water drops off very quickly so you can tie off pretty safely. Anchor Buddy is the ticket.

Anchor buddy! Stern in, pull youself in with stern line, attach the shorline to ski hook on transom. When finished unloading, let the boat spring out and attach the end of the shoreline to tow hook

Bow out / Stern to shore. Anchor with anchor buddy, mooring bouy at top of anchor line with a carbiner clip to hook on bow eye. Stern line (approx. 40') with a loop at each end and a loop in the middle.

When the boat is anchored I have the stern line with an end loop on the stern eye and the middle loop on the shore anchor (usually a sand screw) with the extra line coiled on shore.

When pulling out, I take the middle loop off the shore anchor and put the end loop on (making the stern line 20' longer). I pull the boat in (using the stern line), load everyone up, remove the stern line loop from the stern eye and hold on to it. Then as I push out, I push to starboard to swing the stern of the boat out of the way. I then climb on board and move to the bow (with the stern line still in hand) I disconnect the bow line (carbiner) and clip the bow line to the end loop of the stern line.

When we return, I just go to the mooring bouy. Both lines are there. Disconnect them from each other, attach the bow line, use the stern line to pull the boat into shore to unload, re-attach the stern line and let the anchor buddy pull the boat back to a safe distance from shore.

Edited by NorCaliBu

Agree with Stewart/Michael. Anchor buddy with a float. Stern towards shore.

We use a $1.00 dog auger (picked up at dollar tree) to tie off from shore.

When we leave the boat in the water for multiple days will have two augers 50' apart from each other. Little more protection from turbulence.

----------

I like Michael's idea of attaching the shore line to the bouy though. I'm going to try that. Thanks!

Edited by chathamsolutions

Thanks guys, great replies... since I grew up on a I/O, i'm accustomed to bow in, which does allow the boat to get closer to shore, and even dry boarding (stepping from rock to bow) in may cases..

Michael, thanks for taking the time to detail out the process of how you get the back end back around when tying back up- that part I was trying to visualize. One method we've done in the past, is to use the rest of the anchor line, as the shore line (also helps from loosing the anchor if it gets disconnected from bouy - since it is tied to shore).. that way when you pick up the bouy, and clip it to the front (or rear in the case I'm used to).. you just pull up on the line towards the shore, and work your way up to the loop tied in the line (there is some extra slack between the the two loops, so it can just hang down under the boat, when it is all connected.

Andy- I like the idea of two shore lines - I also use the dog auger as the shore "anchor" (but should probably grab a second for longer term tying)

any way to get people in and out of the boat without wading out? Anyone try some sort of gang plank from shore to platform (with a pad of somesort under it?) I'm thinking if I had my mom along, (as a 3rd, or ballast) she may not want to wade out if the water is cold etc.. Thoughts?

Oh - and if the weather is nice - gunna be boatcamping at Oroville next weekend (29-31) at either foreman or bloomer if any locals are going to be out there

Edited by SacRiverRat

And I agree that Michael's suggestion of attaching the shore line to the anchor bouy is a good tip (if you aren't useing a continuation of the anchor line)

I drop anchor about 30' offshore when I'm camping. I use an anchor buddy and a 13# Danforth. That put's the water over my head when I jump off the back. I either toss or swim to shore with a 100' stern line that I secure to the tree's. Then when I want to get in the boat I just pull in on the stern line and the boat comes in to just about waist height. It works real good and on this lake every one beaches their boats. So when the wind picks up or they raise the water level, which both happen regularly, I don't have to worry about other boats bouncing off the side of my boat.

... (if you aren't useing a continuation of the anchor line)

Be real careful doing that. It would be real easy to wrap the line around the prop/drive shaft and or rudder on an in-board (even with slack in the line). :(

Still aren't using the spell check, are you Troy? Crazy.gif

So Stewart - what DO you use on the shore?...

I had bought an aluminum spike, can't remember the name of the company that makes it and Got River where I bought it doesn't have it up. Mad.gif

Tomorrow, I have to go to my boat and I will look at the name on it. So far it has worked great.

Many times we also just use a big stump or bush.

... (if you aren't useing a continuation of the anchor line)

Be real careful doing that. It would be real easy to wrap the line around the prop/drive shaft and or rudder on an in-board (even with slack in the line). :(

Still aren't using the spell check, are you Troy? Crazy.gif

Yea - no time for spell check Biggrin.gif

the engine wouldn't be running (or at least not in gear) so it wouldn't get wrapped up, but I can see the concern - maybe you'd just want to leave enough slack to that it could go around the boat, but not hang down so far that it'd get caught in the under-gear (would basically just be going from the side of the platform to the bow)... besides, what do you do with your extra anchor line? Dontknow.gif

... besides, what do you do with your extra anchor line? Dontknow.gif

I run a 50' piece of 1/2" braid in parallel to the anchor buddy (as a safety in case the anchor buddy broke). I'm usually anchoring in the 15-30 ft depth range so the length of the anchor buddy plus the length of chain is sufficient. The excess rope length just lays on the bottom.

I just really don't like the idea of line running the length of the boat. Just seems like asking for trouble. YMMV.

:)

... besides, what do you do with your extra anchor line?   Dontknow.gif

I run a 50' piece of 1/2" braid in parallel to the anchor buddy (as a safety in case the anchor buddy broke).

I'm confused Dontknow.gif Do you have two ropes one with the buddy and one without?

I run one rope from the anchor rode to the boat. I have a loop in it part way up and I attach the anchor buddy to it and the anchor rode. This allows the anchor buddy to pull the boat in, but still be secure if it breaks.

I'm confused  Dontknow.gif Do you have two ropes one with the buddy and one without?

I run one rope from the anchor rode to the boat. I have a loop in it part way up and I attach the anchor buddy to it and the anchor rode. This allows the anchor buddy to pull the boat in, but still be secure if it breaks.

Same set-up. I'm just usually anchoring in fairly shallow water so the anchor buddy comes all the way to the bow of the boat (or close to it). But the set-up is the same. Thumbup.gif

Here's how I do it. This was at Bullards Bar a couple years ago. It's hard to see but there is a line from the rear cleat to a stake set up on shore.

06_14_03_0085.JPG

I've always anchored out this way, and have never run into any trouble. I'm one of the few that don't use the anchor buddy. Even been caught in some bad storms at Lake Powell and everything holds up fine.

As for a stake, you can go out and buy the expensive shore spike if you want, but I just use an old piece of rebar, or an old horseshoe stake.

Jeff

Edited by vlxjeff

gosh, i may sound dumb, but what is an anchor buddy? can anyone explain or post a pic?

also, what size/type of anchor? i will be needing to use one in 50ft of water, hard, flat bottom, lots of waves.

wilma

sorry if this is repetitive or dumb.

Wilma,

Read page 1 of this thread. Stewart posted a pic and an animation of the achor buddy and how it works. It's basically a bungee cord for your anchor line.

Norcalibu - thanks, i understand the buddy now. i should have looked more closely.

I guess my application is going to be a bit different. I wont have the luxury of being able to tie up to shore. i will be "mooring out", temporarily at times, (not overnight) and need an anchor that will at least hold the boat in place while other boat waves etc will be influencing it. hard bottom. any thoughts?

wilma