Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Automotive cleaners Vs marine cleaners

So I have seen both types of polishers, Wax, Etc in both Marine and Automotive and I'm sure there are good reasons to use the Marine stuff but it may not be readily available as automotive stuff. So my question is this can you use automotive cleaners on the boat? I'm fairly new to the boating scene and don't want to damage the look of the boat because I used something I shouldn't have. I have read in the manual to use 303 aero protect on the interior, and not armor all which I'm good with and understand why, kinda. But the exterior of the boat I'm a little confused on. Can I use things like Meguiars fine cut cleaner, or their polishing compound on the exterior of the boat. When I get a scratch or scuff, which I know will happen, on the boat can I use automotive rubbing compound to get it out of the gelcoat with out any real worrries about doing harm or should I stick with strictly Marine products? Advice, products, so on would be greatly appreciated.

3M and 303 make the best stuff as far as I'm concerned.

I use 303 on the interior and 3M marine wax and polishes. i.e. rubbing compound and plastic cleaner.

3M and 303 make the best stuff as far as I'm concerned.

I use 303 on the interior and 3M marine wax and polishes. i.e. rubbing compound and plastic cleaner.

I'll second this. Great stuff.

Thanks for the advice, I went to my local boat dealer and they all use Meguairs marine products so, since thats what is in my area thats what I bought to use. I have the 303 for the interior and Meguairs Marine flagship wax and cleaners for the exterior. I also purchased some Meguairs marine quick clean for those quick touch-ups.

Fantastic (the original. not with bleach) for cleaning the vinyl....303 after you clean.

The reason there are marine specific waxes are because the gelcoat has much smaller pores than clearcoat car finishes and automotive wax does not penetrate as well into the gelcoat. The marine waxes are able to better penetrate the gelcoat pores and offer better and longer lasting results. So, as is always the case in the marine and aviation industries, that adds a couple pennies to the manufacturing costs and a 100% increase in price Biggrin.gif to we the consumer.

Edited by DNA'er
So I have seen both types of polishers, Wax, Etc in both Marine and Automotive and I'm sure there are good reasons to use the Marine stuff but it may not be readily available as automotive stuff.

We get the 3M Marine cleaner and polish at Wal-Mart. Usually pretty convenient.

okay cool, thanks for the info. That would be the last place I would of looked for cleaners for the boat. I guess when all else fails try Wallie world :)