Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response vs Response LXi

1FootDan

What are the pros and cons of thr response vs the response lxi? Did anyone here a rumor that the response was going to be discontinued in 2007? Water Ski magazine didn't even test drive it in the 2006 boat review, reminds me in 2004 when they didn't test drive the Sportster and 2005 ended up being its last year..... Cry.gif

The Response will still be here in 2007. The Sportster was on it's way out for 3 years before they pulled the plug.

In terms of waterski mag., that's an unneeded expense for Malibu. Each boat tested costs the mfg. lots of cash.

Peter.

The LXI is a bit slower than the Response on top end. One of the footers from this site is selling, or has sold his LXI because it was too slow for him. I think he bought or is going to buy a Sanger. The Sanger is a sweet barefoot boat. One of my ski buddies has a DX2. The DX2 has a great wake and probably the highest top end of all DD inboard boats if horsepower is equal.

I like my Response VERY well. I am very happy with it's performance, and I have no need or desire for an open bow. I do like the look of the LXI. It still has the low freeboard, and the sleek look. There is nothing in the Malibu line right now that I would rather have than my closed bow Response. If they bring back the inboard Flightcraft with a rear trunk for storage... Well that I would buy!

well i have a lxi promo and love it

for skiing i think that its the best one. we had an lx which is the same as the response basically. but when we got the lxi we were kinda sceptical because its longer and wider, but its definately better. for slalom it has a better wake and it also rides smoother. i prefer the lxi.

I also had a 2000 Response lx. It was a great ski boat. We went to the Rlxi for a bit more room, and have not sacrifice any thing in top end or the quality in the wake. We are die hard skiers so the wake is important to us, my son also foots and says the wake is adequate. I had the 325 Monsoon in the Rlx and have thee 340 in this Rlxi. However the holeshot in the Rlxi seems much better.With the Wedge on both boats the Rlxi is better because of the slightly bigger dimensions however still not atop shelf wake

board wake.......

It's just a matter of personal choice really. The LXi is 6 inches longer, 3 inches wider, can carry a little more gas and is 350 lbs heavier. I don't like the walk through bow especially and think that the LXi has dated a little since hitting the market.

I don't want to load the boat up with umpteen people and the Response is my choice as a diehard 3-event rig.

I'm interested in this topic as well.

Most of the LX's I have seen have a walk-over bow while thre LXi has a walk-thru bow...is this accurate?

Also, I am in the market for a response. I definately want the speed so I am on the hunt for a hammerhead. However, I found a 2003 LX with a Corvette LS1 engine at 375HP..I haven't read too much about that motor, does anyone have a take on it versus the hammerhead??

I'm interested in this topic as well.

Most of the LX's I have seen have a walk-over bow while thre LXi has a walk-thru bow...is this accurate?

Also, I am in the market for a response. I definately want the speed so I am on the hunt for a hammerhead. However, I found a 2003 LX with a Corvette LS1 engine at 375HP..I haven't read too much about that motor, does anyone have a take on it versus the hammerhead??

I beleive the LS-1 has an internal cooling system while the Hammerhead is cooled from the lake . The Hammerhead and the LS-1 are 6.2L blocks vs 5.7L for the Monsoon and the LCR. The LS-1 is aluminum, the Hammerhead I am not sure...and yes the LXi has a walkthu and not the LX.

The LS1 is the new aluminum block with the 3.9in bore x 3.62in stroke

The Monsoon is like the LT1 and has a 4.0in bore x 3.48in stroke

All three engines are 5.7L

There was a horsepower/torque curve posted for the monsoon vs LS1 on WSR

The curve clearly shows that in the region where you ski from 3000 to 4000 RPM the Monsoon is putting out about 20 more horsepower but in the region where you barefoot at 4500 to 5200 things change and the LS1 has the advantage.

The Hammerhead parallels the Monsoon but does not peter out at 4000 it reaches 375HP at 5200. I would take the HH over the LS1 any day.

The LS1 is the new aluminum block with the 3.9in bore x 3.62in stroke

The Monsoon is like the LT1 and has a 4.0in bore x 3.48in stroke

All three engines are 5.7L

There was a horsepower/torque curve posted for the monsoon vs LS1 on WSR

The curve clearly shows that in the region where you ski from 3000 to 4000 RPM the Monsoon is putting out about 20 more horsepower but in the region where you barefoot at 4500 to 5200 things change and the LS1 has the advantage.

The Hammerhead parallels the Monsoon but does not peter out at 4000 it reaches 375HP at 5200. I would take the HH over the LS1 any day.

As per Indmar specs, the Hammerhead (as per all 383CID engines) is a 6.2L ...Indmar HH Specs

As per Indmar specs, the Hammerhead (as per all 383CID engines) is a 6.2L ...Indmar HH Specs

You have to be careful which HH you are talking about - IIRC the older ones (pre 2005 maybe?) were 5.7L, and were not nearly the motor that the 6.2L is.

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

Thats correct, the "old" hammerhead, was 5.7, as is/was the ls1.

All ls1s are "closed loop" cooling, meaning there is no raw water being used to cool the engine (because of it's aluminum construction).

As for the ls1 v. "old" HH, you'll probably get some different opinions, but for top end power, the ls1 is sweet. Plus, there have been some reliability issues with the older HHs. Stewart, care to elaborate?

As for wake comparison. The lxi is softer in my opinion (34 mph skier), although 22 off bump could be slightly bigger.