Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 D3 Nomad vs. X5

Addictedto6

I think I've narrowed my new ski choice to a D3 (sorry skisix@38...). Advice from Paul at D3 was either a 66" Nomad or a 67.5" X5. Anyone out there skiing on the Nomad yet?

I'm coming off an older 67" CR7 and ski 34 mph, currently in the 22-28off range (6 @ 28 pb).

thanks!

I think I've narrowed my new ski choice to a D3 (sorry skisix@38...). Advice from Paul at D3 was either a 66" Nomad or a 67.5" X5. Anyone out there skiing on the Nomad yet?

I'm coming off an older 67" CR7 and ski 34 mph, currently in the 22-28off range (6 @ 28 pb).

thanks!

Just had the same take with Paul myself a couple of weeks ago, but it was between a 66.5 X5 or 65 Nomad and I was using a KD7000 and ski just about the line length. I went with the X5, they had a 2005 model left at a good price and should be showing up tomorrow Fed Ex. Yahoo.gif If it wasn't for the big price difference between the 05 and the 06 I think I would of went for the Nomad. What do you think of the new boots that are coming out next month?

thanks!

Just had the same take with Paul myself a couple of weeks ago, but it was between a 66.5 X5 or 65 Nomad and I was using a KD7000 and ski just about the line length. I went with the X5, they had a 2005 model left at a good price and should be showing up tomorrow Fed Ex. Yahoo.gif If it wasn't for the big price difference between the 05 and the 06 I think I would of went for the Nomad. What do you think of the new boots that are coming out next month?

I've been tracking a couple of slightly used 2005s that I've been thinking about as well, but not sure yet.

Re: the boots, I'm not a big fan of any of the lace up bindings anymore since my crash. I went with Fluidmotion 66 hardshells and absolutely love them.

Edited by Addictedto6

thanks!

I've been tracking a couple of slightly used 2005s that I've been thinking about as well, but not sure yet.

Re: the boots, I'm not a big fan of any of the lace up bindings anymore since my crash. I went with Fluidmotion 66 hardshells and absolutely love them.

Call Paul he may have an X5 in your size. He never mentioned having any 05's until I looked at the D3 web site and called them. It was about 1/2 the price of the 06 model.

Edited by onamission

thanks!

Call Paul he may have an X5 in your size. He never mentioned having any 05's until I looked at the D3 web site and called them. It was about 1/2 the price of the 06 model.

Checked with Paul, no 67.5 05's left...

as of today there are at least two 67.5 and two 68.5 D3 X5 here at www.ski-it-again.com

Yeah, was looking at those. one of the 67.5" has fogman inserts, the other is a "factory test" which means they are out of D3s standard tolerance for flex pattern. I exchange emails with Tadd - he said no one's ever had a problem with them, but I'm not sure I want to take the chance.

No problems! Paul's in your backyard so if the deal is a good one ya gotta do it. The D3 is a good reliable ski. I've not ridden either the X5 or the Nomad. I personally would be very wary of the Nomad though because very few are on it and theose that are are connected closely with D3 and can get the support if the need it. There are also rumors about changes, they may be just rumors or they may have some substance. Try the nomad and if you like that one , buy that one don't take something else.

You'll love either coming fror your CR7. I would really like someone to explain to me why nomads run small by nearly 2". I have some thoughts on why but I would love for someone to explain that to me.

thanks!

No problems! Paul's in your backyard so if the deal is a good one ya gotta do it. The D3 is a good reliable ski. I've not ridden either the X5 or the Nomad. I personally would be very wary of the Nomad though because very few are on it and theose that are are connected closely with D3 and can get the support if the need it. There are also rumors about changes, they may be just rumors or they may have some substance. Try the nomad and if you like that one , buy that one don't take something else.

You'll love either coming fror your CR7. I would really like someone to explain to me why nomads run small by nearly 2". I have some thoughts on why but I would love for someone to explain that to me.

thanks!

Getting the nomad from a local shop with close ties to D3. It comes with a full performance guarantee so I can go back to the X5 if I don't like it. Hopefully I'll have it by end of this week. Looking to get on the water thursday or friday.

Greg - the official explanation for the shorter size on the Nomad is that it runs higher in the water and is much faster....

Yeah, I heard that too, I don't believe it though. BEYOND THIS POINT LIES SPECULATION!!!!!!!!

I think D3 had a lot of complaints about other skis being faster cross course than the X5 and so they took the X5 and stiffened it up a bunch(right from the HO play book) and removed some of the rocker but then it wouldn't turn in as nice as people expect from D3. Plus it probably maintained a lot os speed into the ball. So one thing to do to get it turn( to turn you have to get the tip of the ski into the water) is go shorter.

thanks!

Getting the nomad from a local shop with close ties to D3. It comes with a full performance guarantee so I can go back to the X5 if I don't like it. Hopefully I'll have it by end of this week. Looking to get on the water thursday or friday.

Greg - the official explanation for the shorter size on the Nomad is that it runs higher in the water and is much faster....

Yeah, I heard that too, I don't believe it though. BEYOND THIS POINT LIES SPECULATION!!!!!!!!

I think D3 had a lot of complaints about other skis being faster cross course than the X5 and so they took the X5 and stiffened it up a bunch(right from the HO play book) and removed some of the rocker but then it wouldn't turn in as nice as people expect from D3. Plus it probably maintained a lot os speed into the ball. So one thing to do to get it turn( to turn you have to get the tip of the ski into the water) is go shorter.

Makes sense...of course, if that's the case, I'm screwed Biggrin.gif and will be taking the nomad back quickly for an X5 . then again, my weight keeps going down, might be at 167 for peak of the season, in which case the 67.5 might be big anyhow.

without having laid eyes on a nomad yet are they wider?

if you look at the monza compared to the phantom truth some people went down a size too. its a wider ski and the flat (sweet) spot changed a fair bit i believe, to keep it in the water more.

just got on an 06, 66inch monza and thought about trying a 65, but i intend to try and put a few more pounds on top of the 145 i have now Biggrin.gif

if its from schnitz it was last years ski tests which was with an 05, generally i think the 06's were stiffer, that would explain it

without having laid eyes on a nomad yet are they wider?

I should be picking mine up either tomorrow or friday. I'll compare it to the X5 in the shop and will let you know.

Here's the flex pattern on my new 66" nomad:

Tip: 150

fwd: 128

mid: 90

tail: 69

It's actually slightly softer than the 67.5" X5 I tried last fall:

Tip: 155

Fwd: 134

Mid: 93

Tail: 72

Here's the flex pattern on my new 66" nomad:

Tip: 150

fwd: 128

mid: 90

tail: 69

It's actually slightly softer than the 67.5" X5 I tried last fall:

Tip: 155

Fwd: 134

Mid: 93

Tail: 72

Those figures still make it sound like the Nomad is stiffer, the longer the ski the stiffer it needs to be. If you check out the flex on most skis, the shorter skis are softer and as you go up the sizes they get stiffer.

The flex numbers toby posted are pretty much spot on stock for the 66 Monza. I know HO said they were making the skis softer because they didn't need to stiffen it up for speed.

sorry bit of a hijack here,

hay addicted, are those carbon boots? looks sweet anyway, very nice! Yahoo.gif what are your thoughts on your FM66, have they prem released on you? have you found that the plates have moved slightly?

A guy i ski with has had a few little probs like that and now has velcro between the boots and the ski as well as the release system.

have you done any mods to them?

hijack off,

yes the monza has been the softest ski in years i believe, such a different ski from previous years. HO is now basing nearly there entire line on it. The freeride series, the triumph, nitro, siren and esprit skis so they must think it will be good.

sorry bit of a hijack here,

hay addicted, are those carbon boots? looks sweet anyway, very nice! Yahoo.gif what are your thoughts on your FM66, have they prem released on you? have you found that the plates have moved slightly?

A guy i ski with has had a few little probs like that and now has velcro between the boots and the ski as well as the release system.

have you done any mods to them?

Toby, yes they are FM66 w/ carbon boots. I switched to them from the HO phantoms last winter. I had a nasty crash in the phantoms, front foot stayed, back released. Two surgeries to repair a ruptured achilles and a dislocated tibial tendon. The crash was my fault, but I still believe there is a design problem wit the phantoms/approaches and needless to say, I'm not a fan of any of the lace up boots anymore.

I love the FM66s - haven't had any problems. Jager's system uses a adjustable tension w/ a release pin. There's also some velcro on both boots to keep them from moving around, but not so much to prevent a release when it's necessary (ie OTF). I have yet to a prem release. When standing on the platform, I can tell there's a small amount of "up/down" movement, but have never noticed skiing.

The skis also include a VPS option which allow the toes to slightly pivot - it allows you to adjust the amount of pivot. This was the only thing that takes some getting used to and I need to spend more time this summer dialing in exactly how much pivot I want.

LXIMAN is correct. Those two skis in the same size willl yield a stiffer ski inthe nomad. The F1 and the custom 4 were stiffer because they were not a completely carbon ski and didn't use the newer light weight cores which help to increase the quickness to return back to original shape after being deflected.

Now, apparantly you boys have done more homework on numbers than I have because I don't remember what the flex is on my ski but I do remember that the 68" Monza I tried last fall was stiffer then my Outlaw at every point.

Addicted, it's all fun to type on the computer about the numbers and skis and such. The proof is when you ride it and like it- stick with it. If it doesn't feel right then get rid of it and move on to something else.

Have fun trying it!

Stiffness isn't the only thing to determine the quickenss. For instance, my buddies 9700 I think is going to measure a little stiffer then my outlaw yet they ski very similarly. Rocker is also a leading determinate in "speed". More rocker=less speed but better turning.

On the Nomad, can you put both the nomad and the x5 on a flat surface, leave the fin end hanging free, then look at which tail curves up more from the back boot to the tail.

The longer skis have more material and so carry more strength because they also have longer distances from boot to tip and boot to tail.

Those figures still make it sound like the Nomad is stiffer, the longer the ski the stiffer it needs to be. If you check out the flex on most skis, the shorter skis are softer and as you go up the sizes they get stiffer.

Don't you think that has more to do with the fact that longer skis are made to support heavier people who will then require/possess more strength to do the same job as a lighter person? I would think that all things being equal, a ski available in sizes from 63.5" to 69.5" would not only become fractionally wider but also fractionally stiffer to put up with the exponentially higher stresses applied.

I can't help but go back to Dave Goode's skis for the example. I ended up getting together a whole pile of results from 9500, 9600, and 9700 flex tests while trying to understand the AMP rating. None of those skis came anywhere near the ratings of a Custom 4 or an F1, which just leads me to believe that depending on a manufacturer's choice of wetted surface shape and materials, maybe stiff doesn't tell as much of the story as I once thought.

As a side note, most of the 'quiet technicians' out there seem to be more concerned with tail then tip stiffness.

I'm sure there's a great joke in there somewhere.....

Addicted, it's all fun to type on the computer about the numbers and skis and such. The proof is when you ride it and like it- stick with it. If it doesn't feel right then get rid of it and move on to something else.

that's the plan. hopefully thursday & friday this week!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my first day on the Nomad was delayed by a week, but I got a chance to ride it today. Water temp dropped 5 degrees in last two weeks and down to 55; air about 62; skied w/ a drysuit. Just my second day on the water since end of Oct/early Nov. The first day I did drills only on the CR7. Started today with a couple of drills and immediately recognized that the Nomad is a ton faster than my old CR7. My perception is that it's also much faster than the X5 I tried last fall.

Going into today, I was worried that perhaps the Nomad was not going to be as stable as the X5 and it would take me a while to get used to it. After the drills, I jumped into the course. Made 11 out of 12 passes at 15off @34mph! The ski felt great everywhere - across the course, in/through/out of the turns, you name it. I'm thrilled after one day. Seems like I got the binding setup in the right spot (slightly forward per the D3 recommendation). Looking forward to getting more time on the water the next few weeks and then the norcal ski clinic Apr 28th!

Edited by Addictedto6

I'm definitely interested to hear more as you keep riding this ski. Particularly, I'm interested in how finicky it is in regards to water temperature and clarity. This is my biggest gripe about my System 8.