Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Restoring classic Kidder slalom ski

hobell

My wifes b-day is fast approaching, so, as a sensitive male I offered to buy her a new slalom ski (her choice). The ONLY ski she will ski on is her 15-20 yr old Kidder all wood ski (and that is all the info I have on that ski). I am looking for your advice on the best fillers as there are no more available screw holes for her bindings which as it happends fell out last season; and refinishing the top coat to a like-new finish.

So, I have been a long time "lurker" and first time "poster" I am hoping that the Crew can help me get my wifes ski back in shape.

Thanks,

Howard

Sorry, cant really help you with the ski.

I'm just chiming in to comment on your boat - seems that many of us have had the same model at one time or another. Rockon.gif

I have been told it's less than 6 months away... We'll see. I have been around this site for a few months now, and my first choice for a screen name was "bu balls" alas I wanted to keep this a family site.

howard

You may be able to use plasti-wood to fill the stripped out screw holes. In my experience you can sand, drill, and carve plasti-wood very nicely. I do not have a suggestion on the wood finish to use. You might be able to contact Kidder/KD about the best product for your restoration.

Welcome to the site.

Joe

hey onamission - that's you, I have your boat up on my wall (in the calender), easily my favorite calender pic.. Thanks for the usefull info on the ski. But i have a question for you; who makes that tower on your LXI, and what do you think of it? I love the clean lines on classic ski boats and sometime towers can take that away, but i love that tower. anyways, thanks again

hey onamission - that's you, I have your boat up on my wall (in the calender), easily my favorite calender pic.. Thanks for the usefull info on the ski. But i have a question for you; who makes that tower on your LXI, and what do you think of it? I love the clean lines on classic ski boats and sometime towers can take that away, but i love that tower. anyways, thanks again

Thanks for the kind word on the boat. :blush: Tower was made just for the RLXI, it is from Xtreme Towers, very strong and well made. It's a mini tower not as high as most, (about 5'9" from the floor), but its works out great for us

Most of my old wood skis are now used as decorations at my boat slip.

Maybe surprise her with a new Kidder Redline.

Brad, can't tell you how many new ski's she has demo'd, she will not even consider it... She has skied this particular ski for over 10 yrs, she will not part with it. She has seperation issues, hope this translates when I get old and crusty.

Most of my old wood skis are now used as decorations at my boat slip.

Maybe surprise her with a new Kidder Redline.

Brad, can't tell you how many new ski's she has demo'd, she will not even consider it... She has skied this particular ski for over 10 yrs, she will not part with it. She has seperation issues, hope this translates when I get old and crusty.

Marine Spar Varnish...I have a 1970 Orien woodie that I use. Every year about this time she gets a couple of new coats sprayed on. I fill the cracks/screw holes with Famwood or Dap wood dough. You can get a small cans in various colors to match the wood at most any hardware store.

I know how your wife feels about her ski. I have used mine for 35 seasons now...The bindings have finally rotted so I purchased a new 2005 HO System 8 from Wileys last month. I also purchased some new HO Animal bindings to mount on the old woody. We will see this season how those new fangled plastic skis compare. Biggrin.gif

There are 2 part, epoxy based wood fillers that might be a good choice for the ski. You'll want to gently remove any rotted wood and if possible, dig out slightly in the bottom of the hole to mushroom it. Not much... just enough to give it a little extra grip. And fill the hole a little at a time to make sure there are no air pockets.

Edited by Jameslo

The inserts would probably be your best bet but I have repaired older skis by drilling a larger hole (1/4 or 3/8) and epoxying a wooden dowel. Be careful not to drill through the ski. This is best done using a drill press. I would also suggest an epoxy based finish instead of varnish.

OldHickory

Edited by OldHickory
So, I have been a long time "lurker" and first time "poster" I am hoping that the Crew can help me get my wifes ski back in shape.

West System epoxy would be my choice. The unthickened resin will make a good clearcoat. Mix in some woodflour or 406 filler and you will have something to fill the holes. Warm the ski slightly before filling the holes - that will help with absorption of the resin.

www.westsystem.com for more information