Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

knock sensor...

I have had heaters and shower in my last 4 boats covering over 15 years. Some were home made and some were factory. No probs with any of them. I currently have two heaters and a shower and we will not go without either.

Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

The reason there are 2 knock sensors on the 06 boats has to do with a few changes from 05.

06 Monsoon has a new ECM with more capability. It also boast squential fired fuel injection as opposed to the previous Monsoons that were batch fired. Thus giving the ECM the ability to control fuel to a single cylinder. Now comes the second knock sensor giving the ECM a more pinpointed location of the knock and the ability to detune one cylinder rather than a whole bank of cylinders. I would not recommend altering either knock sensor with a T-fitting. The 06 boats with a shower are getting their water from a port on the cylinder head.

Do the 06s have the MEFI 5 or the MEFI 4b?

What tools are you using to monitor and program the new MEFI? I know in the automotive world they are using InGenious from Autigent. Their website is a bit behind but AZ S&M sells it on their website.

Edited by MoonDawg
I would not recommend altering either knock sensor with a T-fitting. The 06 boats with a shower are getting their water from a port on the cylinder head.

Thanks. I'll be at my dealer Friday and will see which port on the cylinder head they use. I'm glad I consulted the Crew first!

Talked to the dealer...he said don't Tee off the knock sensor (like you all said). He recommended that I pull from either the plug on the side of the water pump (replace the plug with a fitting) or there is one plug in the manifold that I can put a fitting on too (on the front of it, right side of the manifold). He also mentioned that he thought Malibu should have put TWO knock sensors on the motors a long time ago. It worried him to see only one and according to him, the LCR 320 hp motor doesn't have any knock sensors on it. Can anybody varify that? I have a potentially knew Malibu friend (in the market for a new one, probably Vride) and will probably end up with the LCR motor for finantial reasons. If it doesn't have any knock sensors, would you vote against that motor?

The LCR debate is covered at length here. In a nutshell, there is nothing wrong with that motor - it is designed to hit a low price niche, and is calibrated to minimize any risk of predetonation (knock) so that you don't need the sensor(s). The downside is 20hp less than the Monsoon.

The LCR debate is covered at length here. In a nutshell, there is nothing wrong with that motor - it is designed to hit a low price niche, and is calibrated to minimize any risk of predetonation (knock) so that you don't need the sensor(s). The downside is 20hp less than the Monsoon.

Thanks! I'll pass that along and look at the conversation on the LCR. That helps a lot. Thanks everyone!