Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Extreme Trailer issue

Faceplant409

Not trying to cause panic... but this is another area we need to keep an eye on.

I saw this on WSR and it is a valid point seeing that MANY of us have Extremes.

It seems that a few Pivot Hitch bolts have sheared. Not the removable pin, the bolt on the hinged side. The shank on the bolt was too short and the shear stress was on the threads rather than on the solid shank of the bolt. Putting that shear stress on the threads is just like scoring sheetrock or glass, that's where it'll break. For MY trailer I need a grade 8 bolt with a 5-1/4" shank plus ~1" for a nut. Probably not going to find exactly a 5-1/4" shank which is why Extreme used what they did. (because it looks clean and they did not have to cut a hardened bolt.)

Patrick

Good to know. I bought a locking pin for the releasing side. I wonder if I can replace the permanent pin with another locking one. Don't have the trailer yet to see if that's a possibility.

Yeah, I would make sure the shank (solid part of bolt) extends at least a little bit below the lower gusset, add acouple of washers if you need to so the bolt doesn't creep up, and add a nylock (aero) nut. You can cut off extra threads (leave at least 2 below the nut.)

Patrick

When I had my trailer at Extreme last year for new brakes and bearings, they replaced this bolt in the Pivot Hitch. Tony said they were doing it as a precautionary measure on every trailer that came in with the shorter bolt. In addition to not looking as clean with the longer bolt (as Patrick suggested), I've noticed the tongue takes a bit of muscle now to fold back. I don't know if the new bolt is a slightly larger diameter or if it's simlpy because the shank extends to the bottom gusset.

Edited by John I.

Just trying to help. I get a lot of my stainless hardware from this place.

http://www.boltdepot.com/hex-bolts.aspx

Edit: it might be cost prohibitive to get ONE bolt from that place.

I just remembered the other place I get bolts that are hard to find is http://olander.com/

They're in Sunnyvale near Lawrence and 101.

Edited by Pistol Pete

OK, complete bolt dolt here.

Above it's mentioned that the bolt has to be 'grade 8'.

The bolt on my Extreme doesn't look stainless. Pete, are you saying to go stainless? Is stainless 'grade 8' or stronger? Is stainless a good idea for this application?

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck's teeth were grade 8?

I'm not sure the tensile strength differnece between S.S. and steel grade 8. I'm thinking if Extreme is using steel #8, I'd be getting myself the same bolt but, with the longer shank. I don't know what size you guys have 'cause I don't have an extreme. You're probably gonna end up buying a way longer bolt than you need then, have to cut it down. I do this all the time.

Call Extreme and have them send you a longer bolt as a warranty issue or just buy the stuff it will take to fix it from them, why reinvent the wheel or take any chances.

Funny... I just called Extreme and left a VM for the parts guy.

I'm pretty sure a grade 8 is stiffer than a SS bolt. Though both are tough to cut, drill and otherwise manipulate...

I'll let ya'll know what is said.

Pat

OK, complete bolt dolt here.

Above it's mentioned that the bolt has to be 'grade 8'.

The bolt on my Extreme doesn't look stainless. Pete, are you saying to go stainless? Is stainless 'grade 8' or stronger? Is stainless a good idea for this application?

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck's teeth were grade 8?

3.38 cords per day if the average daily temp does not exceed 78 f.

good to know just ordered my 2006 sunscape bad thing were expecting lots of snow this weekend. cant wait till it warms up so we can be on the water first time members we really like the site

So I just got my boat and trailer about two weeks ago, Do you thank this is a concern for newer trailers or just older ones? Next time I'm down at the storage I will take a look just to be safe. Thanks for the info.

Extreme said they only knew of 'a couple' of instances where the bolt sheered off. Hard to know unless you actually take the nut off and look at the threads. From what the guys say above, and it makes sense to me, if the threads are on the swivel points, then best to replace it with a longer shank bolt.

So I just got my boat and trailer about two weeks ago, Do you thank this is a concern for newer trailers or just older ones? Next time I'm down at the storage I will take a look just to be safe. Thanks for the info.

I'd take a look. We have an '00 Extreme and haven't had any problems. Still, I'm going to check that out in my spring maintenance checklist.

Since they replaced the bolt on my trailer (an '01 model) back in June/July 2005, I'd say that any Extreme trailer manufactured since then is okay. I wouldn't worry about it.

Mine should be here in a day or two.

Andy!...... What is that reddish brown stuff on your safety cables???? Say it aint so...... Cry.gif

Tongue.gif P

<being THE Jerk>