Sign in to follow this  
Smalsv

Engine acceleration bogging at low speeds

Smalsv

I've retrieved my 01 LSV from storage to do some spring cleaning and general spiffing up. After re-carpeting my trailer bunkers, I had an opportunity to test drive my boat on the lake last weekend. It seemed to perform quite well. what's odd is that in my driveway from idle the engine is bogging at low RPMs. It seems to be fine after 2500 RPMs, but under it seems like I've got an obstruction in my fuel system. I carried the boat back out yesterday to water test it for the same problem. Naturally, I had the same problem on the water. Odd as it was, after the motor had ran for a while it ran very well. Pulled up to full speed and ran like a top. Started it in my driveway to test it again today. Guess what? Same problem but worse. I treated the fuel with Seafoam. Didn't seem to help at all. I'll call Waterski America in Dallas tommorow and pick their brains. I'll have a local mechanic take a look before I drag it all the way to Dallas. If any of you have a clue as to what I'm dealing with, please clue me in. I would greatly appreciate it.

electricjohn

First off, check your distributor cap, then tell us what engine you have. On a properly tuned engine, vacuum leaks cause hesitation. Be sure everything on the intake is tight and all hoses are connected and solid.

Edited by electricjohn

wheelman

distibutor rotor and plugs to start. Always replace atleast those 2 things on mine at start of every season.

Smalsv

Monsoon 330. Replaced all spark plugs and wires last season. Had a timing issue that was adjusted as well.

Sixball

" I treated the fuel with Seafoam. Didn't seem to help at all." It sounds to me like you did this after your winter layup???? If so It will not do anything for old bad fuel. You will have lost much of the octane over the winter if the stabilizer was not in when you put the boat away.

I would start with fresh Hi octane fuel. I would also think about new fuel filters.

Woodski

Check the IAC (idle air control) to see if it is causing a throttle tip in lean condition.

lf133

I had similar problem last year in my 2000 LSV. It had more of a hesitation or stumble at low speed / Idle but seemed to pick up and run great at higher speed. I somehow ended up having a bad plug, that was fine the previous year. Maybe damaged it while working on it, but is showed no sign of damage. Some new plugs and injector cleaner and it took off.

Smalsv

I'll have all this covered by the end of teh week. Having a mechanic look at it before the week is over. I think some of what you guys have suggested are all relevant. I just want a boat that is trouble free for teh season. i appreciate all your advice. If you think of something else, please comment. Thanks.

Smalsv

By the way, I always use high octane fuel in everything (90% of the time). I just mentioned for consideration.