Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Samson Surf-Surf rack on G3 tower

daylorb

So I got a new boat with the G3 tower and right away could tell the surf/wake combo rack would not fit my fish board and would be a tight fit on others. Samson has a new surf-surf combo rack with 2 3/8" between the fingers. This is between the rubber on the fingers - so actual dimensions. Got it in this weekend and put it on. Thing is very beefy - pretty high quality rack. Great setup! If you need to carry a few thicker boards, this is it.

Might sell the port side now and get another Samson just to have them match. Factory racks still brand new.

post-21218-0-92595100-1364168856_thumb.j

post-21218-0-92595100-1364168856_thumb.j

Edited by daylorb

Got em too, going to do the same and get Samson forks to replace Malibu OEM's now. The Samson forks are longer and better padded, thus much better for supporting wakesurf boards.

So I got a new boat with the G3 tower and right away could tell the surf/wake combo rack would not fit my fish board and would be a tight fit on others. Samson has a new surf-surf combo rack with 2 3/8" between the fingers. This is between the rubber on the fingers - so actual dimensions. Got it in this weekend and put it on. Thing is very beefy - pretty high quality rack. Great setup! If you need to carry a few thicker boards, this is it.

Might sell the port side now and get another Samson just to have them match. Factory racks still brand new.

How do those clear the bottom factory racks when wakeboards are loaded on the bottom Malibu spinner racks? I know the factory oem upper rackers are "fixed" and angled upwards. I had a lot of problems on my '11 with two sets of swivel racks, the board bindings would hit eachother when wakeboards were loaded on the upper and lower mounts. On my '13 I kept one set of spinners from my '11 and they are delivering the boat with the fixed racks for the upper mounts.

The Samsons look nice, hopefully the splines are angled upwards to give proper clearance between the upper and lower racks. Do you have a link for the Samson racks, my friend who bought my '11 VLX is looking for another set of racks but he needs the fixed mounts or possibly the Samsons. I did not see the Samson G3 racks listed on there website anywhere, are they special order? And one last question, if you dont mind me asking, what was the price per rack?

Here is a pic of the fixed upper rack and how it creates proper spacing...

imagesCAGXJFP0_zps9231bc6e.jpg

Edited by Fman

I have a brand new set of G3 racks for sale also if your deal falls through.

Are those fixed or spinners? A good friend of mine is looking for a second set, but they have to be the fixed upper pair.

How do those clear the bottom factory racks when wakeboards are loaded on the bottom Malibu spinner racks? I know the factory oem upper rackers are "fixed" and angled upwards. I had a lot of problems on my '11 with two sets of swivel racks, the board bindings would hit eachother when wakeboards were loaded on the upper and lower mounts. On my '13 I kept one set of spinners from my '11 and they are delivering the boat with the fixed racks for the upper mounts.

The Samsons look nice, hopefully the splines are angled upwards to give proper clearance between the upper and lower racks. Do you have a link for the Samson racks, my friend who bought my '11 VLX is looking for another set of racks but he needs the fixed mounts or possibly the Samsons. I did not see the Samson G3 racks listed on there website anywhere, are they special order? And one last question, if you dont mind me asking, what was the price per rack?

Here is a pic of the fixed upper rack and how it creates proper spacing...

On Bakes website I now found an option in their dropdown box for the Samsons to get a G3 mount. Unsure if Samson or Bakes makes the mount. The forks on bakes site had a choice of angles.

Thats perfect, I just logged on myself. Ouch, $745 each, thats more than the factory malibu fixed racks. However if the splines are angled properly imo better off with a spinner than a fixed mount. Would like to see a picture of a set mounted on the G3.

In case anyone's looking, we are looking at offering surf-surf forks to replace the wake-surf combo forks that come standard.

Peter

In case anyone's looking, we are looking at offering surf-surf forks to replace the wake-surf combo forks that come standard.

Peter

Yes - that was exactly what I was looking for but couldn't seem to find them. The other issue is that the dimensions of the surf-wake combo are not wide enough. Barely fit some thick Inland Surfer boards, don't fit others.

My dealer told me to get the stationary rack for the top. He said the swivel one will get in the way of the bimini. Samson sent me a picutre of their rack "they only offer the swivel" and it looks like it does not angle up enough when both racks have boards on them although I could be wrong.

Are there a lot of surf boards over 2" thick? I just measured both of mine and they are just over 1"...

There are not a lot of them, but yes quite a few that are right at 2". I surfed for the past 15 years and have a different outlook on wakesurf boards than most. I think they are too chronically under-volume/too thin. Sure it is easier to bury the rail and tail on a thinner board, they can be lighter, and can feel more responsive in some cases, but I think the real trick is to make a bigger board perform.

A thicker and more buoyant surfboard-style board carried way more speed down the line opening up all sorts of possibilities surfing, and if you know how to properly weight and turn it you can really throw it around. I can cut as hard and fast on a thicker board and have the volume there to accelerate more and carry more speed - just my preference. I've surfed with so many people who's small board is buried in the water slogging and they are constantly working on getting it around.

I've got a whole range of gear and every now and then use my Phase 5 skim board, my LF 4'10" custom, etc. but my fish-style boards that are thicker are the ones I am constantly going back to.

• 3 years later...
On 3/24/2013 at 7:58 PM, pkh said:

Got em too, going to do the same and get Samson forks to replace Malibu OEM's now. The Samson forks are longer and better padded, thus much better for supporting wakesurf boards.

Do you still have OEM forks?

On 3/24/2013 at 9:47 PM, Bawshogg said:

I have a brand new set of G3 racks for sale also if your deal falls through.

Still have racks for sale?