Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Titan tower on Response LXI

Lake.OD

Just added another Malibu to the stable... a 2005 Response LXI.

The boat is great... and really I'm excited about it. Loaded out and included a Titan Chrome tower. Small problem... My dock at the home we just moved into has a very low roof. I just spent a bundle to encapsulate and fix a lot of smaller issues... and it will be another $2,500 to raise and replace the roof.

My wife wants to be able to use the boat when I am not around and I don't want her to have to raise and lower the tower each time they pull it on and off the lift. It looks like a two piece tower and I have heard they are easy to use, but I have no experience.

I was thinking of just taking the tower off for the summer until I have the time to fix the roof / and or the extra money to replace this fall.

I have looked all over the internet and can't seem to find any information on Titan towers installation... or even if it is easy to take off an store for a bit. It looks simple enough, take apart in the middle.... loosen the tension screws on the back mounts and unbolt. Is it that easy? Issues I might have?

Thanks in advance.

Since no one gave you a response (pun intended) I'll chime in. I think you have the general idea of how the tower functions. Based on the year of your boat you should have a Titan series 2 tower but it could be 1 or 3 series too depending on when or who installed it. Series 1and 2 have a single bolt that connects the front and rear hoops. Series 3 has 2 bolts or threaded knobs.

Assuming no bimini you just loosen and remove the threaded knob or bolt and down comes the tower. The front hoop will fold back/down and rest on the windshield frame. The rear hoop should drop rearward an drop down behind the engine box. The whole process is less than a minute up or down for one person once you have done it a few times.

If you want to remove the whole thing you might have some wires to deal with for the navigation light if your tower was equipped with one. If no wires just drop the tower down as mentioned above. Then remove the cross bolt that goes through the rod ends. I think this is what you called a tension bolt. 4 bolts and the tower is free from the boat. I would leave the aluminum feet attached to the hull. For tower removal have an extra person to help lift the separate pieces off the boat.

Thanks Wayne... it is a Series 3. It almost seems too easy but thank you for confirming it.

The tension bolt I was talking about was on the rear "legs"... just a nut on each side that looks like it would help to "square up" the tower by raising or lowering it. Since you just take it down..... doesn't sound like I should even touch it.

Hang it by straps in the garage? I assume that SS won't warp?

I had a T3 on my 05 Resonse LXi. If you know what you're doing it's a one person job to raise or lower, two hand knobs on the top. That said I wouldn't trust my wife to do it.

Lets see some pics.

You can either hang it or build something to support it so it doesn't rest on the windshield or seats. My garage has a high ceiling so I only need to lower the tower to clear my garage door.

I would t mess with what you are calling tension bolts/nuts unless the tower has alignments issues going up/down. To completely remove the tower the big allen head bolts are what you take off.

One last suggestion check the bolts regularly that attach the tower to the feet I lost one on a long distance trip. I put blue lock tight on them and haven't had an issue since.

Thanks for the advice..... I am going to get it set for the lift either tonight or Saturday. I will take the tower off after that, but I wanted measurements for the new roof line before I took it off.

thanks a million.

I had a T3 on my 05 Resonse LXi. If you know what you're doing it's a one person job to raise or lower, two hand knobs on the top. That said I wouldn't trust my wife to do it.

Lets see some pics.

If you are the Devon from Conway Arkansas... it's your old Response. Picked it up from SG Extreme last weekend. This is just weird if it is...lol