Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just purchased my first ever boat! Sunsetter lxi

cyclone18

Hi guys, well as the title suggests My girlfriend and i have just bought our first boat, and even better its a Malibu! We've been looking for a while now and taken several boats for test drives etc and the Malibu sunsetter was the favourite for us! One came up at Munson ski and marine and I decided to bite the bullet and do it. I'm in Australia and im only 22 so it was a pretty big decision to make a purchase like that sight unseen.. However Matt from Munson has Been excellent, Brandon from central ky inboards, cory from evolution covers and Paul from bakes! I wold just like to take this time to broadcast to others the thanks and appreciation I have for these guys! My purchase has been so easy and really put my mind at ease! these guys have gone beyond all my expectations at every turn! My boat will leave the states at the end of April and make the journey to Australia and hopefully land early June.... It's gunna be a long old winter for me lol is there any tips or tricks you guys have or know of? This is my first boat so I'm pretty green still! Any help is much appreciated thanks

• Like 2

Congrats on the boat! I love my SS LXI, I'm sure you will too.

Best advice I got when I was a new boat owner was to take it slow. Easy on the throttle. Make little mistakes, they are a lot easier to recover from when going slow vs going fast. Docking is tricky, even trickier in an inboard.

Engine off when someone is in the water near the boat.

Enjoy, be safe!

• Like 3

Thanks guys. I'm so excited! Speaking about docking, there's a video Malibu media put up on YouTube showing how to dock and man it looks impressive when its done right! I am keen to learn that! There's a forum on wakeworld asking people what they have on there essential equipment list.. Basically it's got out of control people posting and now I can't follow who's serious n who's not lol! What do you guys carry on board at all times??

Aside from that required by my state (life vests, Type IV throwable floatation device, fire extinguisher, certificate of number card, +/- boater education certificate),

I also have four fenders, two with looped ends on ropes that go over my ski pylon, and lengths pre-adjusted so they are in perfect position when I throw them off

to each side, an extendable boat hook, an anchor, mooring lines (I like snubbers on mine), a cell phone, a spare impeller with an impeller remover, a small tool box

with extra hose clamps, suntan lotion, sun glasses, a snorkel and mask, and something to drink. I also double check that I have my ski, ski rope, gloves, and boat

keys.

With the exception of the boat keys, sun glasses, cell phone, and drinks, everything else pretty much just stays on the boat year round.

there is a "resources" tab at the top of the tmc page. it's filled w good stuff including your "gear list".

welcome to the crew. you will love that new ride.

to minimize the chance for damage practice that docking maneuver with a floating cushion in the middle of the pond before you have to approach that unforgiving dock.

Congratulations on the new boat and you picked the right Manufacture to boot,

or should I'd say BOAT! Lol....

With all the excitment of beeing a new boat owner remember one thing, Take things slow at first, over time and practice you will become very comfortable with your new toy.

And there are some very good thoughts in paragraph two of robtr8's post. I have seen all these thing happen over the years. Not Speeking of myself of course.lol...

:) Great Safe Boating!

Everyone around here is helpful with good advice and good information. Get a photobucket account and use it to link photos of your new boat. The crew around here likes boat photos, especially boats on the water, or on a trailer, or on a trailer behind a tow rig, or in a garage, well just about any boat photo would be great.

Yeper.. Driving a DD is quite different then a stern drive. Not so much forward but in reverse its a different animal. Take it out on the water an play with reverse and understand how to use the DD restraints to your advantage. Forward its like having a a top dollar sports car! :welcome:

Mate, Congrats on your purchase. You must be like a little kid waiting for xmas! I'm looking at importing a Sunsetter Lxi and going halves with a mate. We're in Melbourne, and still researching importing costs, and the all important trailer width issue. Would be really keen to know how much it's costing you to import it, and how you're doing that - e.g. roll on roll off etc. where abouts are you and what year did you buy?

Cheers

Shane

Everyone around here is helpful with good advice and good information. Get a photobucket account and use it to link photos of your new boat. The crew around here likes boat photos, especially boats on the water, or on a trailer, or on a trailer behind a tow rig, or in a garage, well just about any boat photo would be great.

Hey boz, I'm having trouble trying to upload pics but once I go back to work tomorrow ill have a go and also I'll look into the photo bucket thing you speak of, what actually is photo bucket? Lol

S

Mate, Congrats on your purchase. You must be like a little kid waiting for xmas! I'm looking at importing a Sunsetter Lxi and going halves with a mate. We're in Melbourne, and still researching importing costs, and the all important trailer width issue. Would be really keen to know how much it's costing you to import it, and how you're doing that - e.g. roll on roll off etc. where abouts are you and what year did you buy?

Cheers

Shane

Cheers

Shane

I'm more than happy to help you with whatever I can Shane, if you pm me your number we can get in contact and Ill give you as much feedback as I can! My biggest help and also recommendation would be to speak to the guy I'm getting to help me.. Brandon cruse from central ky inboards! I wrecken I would have sent this poor bugger more then 100 emails with noob questions all the time haha but seriously the guy is excellent.

Hey boz, I'm having trouble trying to upload pics but once I go back to work tomorrow ill have a go and also I'll look into the photo bucket thing you speak of, what actually is photo bucket? Lol

Photobucket.com

Upload photos to photobucket

Go to the photo that you want to link

Click "image links"

Copy the "IMG Code"

Paste the IMG Code in your post at TMC

Check this explanation out

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42131-how-do-i-upload-a-photo/

Edited by Bozboat

Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the crew! You're sure to enjoy it. Listen to the advise above....it's very good information and I would completely agree with what tvano says about docking practice. It will help you tremendously.

Now...pics, please.

• 1 month later...